Auto-updating a script

JT Hamelin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3622 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

What's the best way for a scrpt to check and see if there's a newer version of itself? I want to distribute a free product which offers a free service to its users. However, I am hoping to support it later with advertisements. I need the product to check for updates to it's main script from time to time so that when I start using ads, the older models of the product will be updated as well as the new ones.

For the longest time I had a twitter account that just announced a UUID (of the prim hosting the new script).

The scripts released would check the twitter account for updates and then contact the host prim when an update was found.

When Twitter started messing with their API's I dropped that method though.

The best way is an off-world database using http access.  You can automate the process with an off-world database that recoreds all the owner UUIDs and object model numbers then use an in-world script to distribute the latest version to all customers with expired version numbers.   Scripts in the object can access the database periodically to get your latest advertising information.

Doing it entirely in-world is not so easy.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3622 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.