Something I'd love to see: Object List

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3638 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Second Life needs to add something to the build menu or somewhere that gives you a list of all the objects on your sim/parcel. Then from that list you can select whichever objects you like(in a build you are making for example) and you can move them, link them, delete them, take them, whatever.

It would tell you who is the owner of each item, and have an option to filter the list so it only shows your objects. You could also have a check box beside the objects that defines which one will be the root prim in your linkset. This would also be a handy way to unlink elements from an existing linkset.

Say you are working on linking a huge build made of multiple objects. As it is right now, you pretty much have to cam around and shift-click each and every object. It is very easy to accidentally de-select the whole selection, accidentally move the build, accidentally forget to select certain objects, or worse. I find it to be one of the worst parts of building in the game.

With this new system, linking a build would be as simple as opening the list and shift-clicking the objects you want to link(no big deal if you mis-click), checking the Root Prim box, and pressing the Link button.

I'm sure there would be other benefits that I havent thought of.

Thoughts?

MIstahMoose wrote:

Makes hunts a breeze I hear
:P

A lot of store owners have figured that out and have taken to obfuscating the name of the object.

On the other hand many of my friends have quit hunting any ways.  With over a 90% discard rate because the quality of items being offered has dropped considerably they no longer consider it worth their time.

I can understand a Merchant not wanting to put top quality items into a hunt but putting low quality in can work against them.   There is no motivation to go back and check out other clothes, etc.

Sassy Romano wrote:

I opened an "enhancement" for something similar.  All the other replies have concentrated on the sim but what about gridwide?  How do i find stuff that i've left somewhere by accident?  That expensive dance system that's rezzed somewhere where there's no auto return?...

I think it's a great idea but I do wonder how practical it would be to send a query that actually would need to go to 30,000 SIM's or at least be set to "search till you find it?"

There are some vehicle makers who include "call home" scripts like you describe.  Those are great and I wish more creators would use them.

Rolig Loon wrote:

Yeah, but the asset servers keep track of things in inventory -- not rezzed.  Information about where rezzed objects are is in each sim's servers.  They're separate beasts.  As Perrie says, querying all of the sim servers would be a long, slow process.

See

It would be a great idea to start encouraging vehicle manufacturers to include 'call home scripts in their vehicles, something I will start doing.

I need to find one to drop into all my vehicles.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3638 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.