Another way to prove purchase?

Jager Xeltentat

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5339 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I bought something a million years ago. It did not occur to me to save the XML file for the transaction history at the time. The item was not purchased on XStreet.

Would most merchants be willing to let me rezz the (No transfer) item next to them as proof of purchase? Is there another acceptable way to prove I bought from them? Or is I doomed?

14 answers to this question

That's certainly worth a try. I'm sure you'll quickly find out which merchants would be agreeable and which would not.

The other thing that occurs to me is if you keep your chat logs and they go that far back. You could search the local chat log with perhaps the name or partial name of the object and see if it comes up. If it does, copy and paste that into a notecard to the merchant.

• Like 1

I would support my products regardless if a user bought it from me or got it as a gift or obtained elsewhere. I don't need a transaction record to recognize what I've made so rezzing would be quite sufficient. I hope this would apply to most makers. As for resellers... all bets are off.

• Like 1

I have 4 years worth of transactions. and will allways send new or replacements out.

INfact only yesterday i replaced a 2 year old product which had broken.

And it was amazing just how many you gather in a few years. i think i have 840,000 transactions and thats just little books not my textures or objects.

sure i am not the biggest by far but its alot.

Really the most effective way is to take a few minutes and download your transaction history for the previous month.  It's unfortunate that LL doesn't let you go any further back than a month, but it's a small price to pay to protect your investments, whether buying or selling.  Not only do I do that, but I keep chat logs, both open and IM.  It opens in notepad and it's very easy to look up keywords to find what you are looking for.

As far as merchants allowing your to rez the product in front of them - well that's going to depend on the merchant.  Many are way to busy to take time for that, but I have found that any time I needed a replacement, they were happy to give it to me. 

Although 3D Concepts Professional Licensed Textures sells our textures full perm, the box that they come in is copy only.  I do this for several reasons, one of the reasons is so that the customer can do exactly what you suggested to prove purchase if need be.  To answer your question, "yes" rezzing a copy of the no transfer item should be sufficient.  However, for the future, you should start saving your monthly data.  There are a few SL Transaction Viewers on the market that is worth checking out.  Hope this helps.

just ask. most honerable people would give you a new copy if the old one is corrupted or gets lost. I get IM's all day long from people that lose stuff or double purchase "Textures" or " Doors" or " Shades " etc and I hardly ever give them any problems unless they trigger a scam artist alarm in my head..

Also, People should always contact a merchant to let them know if there is a issue because with the amount of bugs its not uncommon a creator would never know that there is a problem until you tell them.

oh and.. my next answer will include my business name a few times just to make sure that every body knows what I sell too.. oh well seems to be the norm here so here it goes:

If you want Textures that you can actually build great looking stuff with come to DATS..because DATS amazing ... haha

do you feel violated now because I spammed your post with my ad?

Yes I would.  Its a completely valid way to prove you've purchased an item.  And since I have no prim out there that is full permission no one could attempt to copy anything using my prim.

I think some could take advantage of that.  Thats why people should never give out freebies that have their full perm prim on them.

VonGklugelstein.Alter wrote:

do you feel violated now because I spammed your post with my ad?

No.

Anyway, thanks for the insight everybody. The replies are reassuring. I really didn't want to risk irritating a merchant with this minor inconvenience. It is good to know people are generally flexible if the replies are a good representation of most merchants.

Some people put items away in their inventory and don't use them.  Sometimes a product is borked and you may not even know it.  Some products may seem to work correctly at times but due to some script issues bug on ocassion.  A product doesn't necessarily need to have a lifetime warranty but a merchant should support general issues and bugs on their product.  Its only good customer service to try and help your customers out if they have a problem.  I like helping my customers.  After all they bought something I created and I like making things.  I also like making sure the things I make can be enjoyed the way they were intended.

would a screenshot of your inventory showing the product and viewer interface be proof enough? .. really depends on what exactly the issue is.

If you bought a full perm item, it wouldnt be proof that you actually purchased it and not just got it off someone else, but a no trans item could only be in your inventory if you bought it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5339 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.