I can't detach some things from my avatar

slave Firehawk

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4850 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

10 answers to this question

I assume you are talking about your shape and skin. You cannot remove these, you can only change them. So if you don't like the shape you are wearing now, you'll have to find a new shape to replace it with. the same with your skin. There are places where you can find free shapes and skins, just search for "free shape" or you can buy them from different shops in SL, just search for male shapes. Most places that sell shapes also sell skins. Some shapes are modifiable, which means you can play with the size of your shape such as your height, eye size, waist size, etc, but most shapes are not modifiable. Some shops will have demos that you can get for free of for 1L so you can try before you buy. The demos are usually marked with abnormally large hands or a sign above your head that says "demo" If you go to your "search all" tab in your search box, there will most likely be some ads for shape/skin shops. And others are easily found through search. Make sure you have PG, Mature, and Adult search parameters ticked off before running a search. good luck.

• Like 1

You can go back to your original avatar that you started with if you want.  All you need to do is open up the advanced menu by holding down ctrl alt and D.  Then click advanced - character - character tests - test female.  this removes shapes, hairbases etc and sets you back with your original Avatar.  Hope this helps, Sula

Okay, those are different issues. It could be that you have a demo skin and not a proper skin. Some of the freebies are not as good as you'd like. If your feet are sticking out of your shoes, you have two possibilites. Either you're wearing a demo with huge feet, or you're not wearing all of your shoe. The shoe file should contain at least three parts. A "shoe base" which is a picture of a shoe. In essence it changes the shape of your feet. And a right shoe and a left shoe indicated with yellow box shapes.Those fit over the reformed foot. So when you wear a shoe, make sure you wear all three parts. (some fancy shoes such as boots and strappy sandals will have more parts. Wear them all)

After you put on your skin, and only your face changes colour, you could try "rebaking" the texture. Press CTRL ALT R and that will rebake the skin and everything should colour properly. If it doesn't, you'll have to buy a different skin. Good luck.

Without you telling us what you are trying to remove it is difficult to tell you how to remove them. It could simply be that they can't be "unworn" only changed,such as eyes, etc.

One more thing... clothing can't be "detached" it has to be taken off.  So when you look thru inventory at the "worn" items in bold right click them and select "take off" instead of detach.  You can also do this from the pie menu when you right click yourself - select "detach all" and/or "take off all clothes".

You can immediately wear any of the default avatars.  They are in your inventory, in the Library/Clothing folder.  Simply drag one of the folders in there (such as "Girl Next Door") onto your avatar to change completely.

Clothes and attachments are of two general types:  Clothing "layers", such as your shirt, pants, jacket, socks, etc.  And prim attachments.  Prim attachments are most often shoes, hair, or skirts, but can also be other clothing parts.

You can replace any part by simply wearing another item in that location, such as replacing one shirt with another.  Prim attachments are located on one of the "attachment points" of your avatar, such as chin, chest, R. Upper Leg, and so on.  Another attachment can be worn on that point, replacing the old one.

To simply remove an article of clothing, right click your avatar and select Take Off/Clothing/(desired item) from the pie menu.

To remove a prim attachment, right click it and select Detach.

You can also do this from the Edit menu on the top menu bar, or from within your inventory by right clicking the worn or attached item in the inventory window.

As others have said, some items can't be taken off directly, because they are needed to define your avatar's very existence...such as your skin or shape.  Instead ot taking them off, replace them with another one as described above.

Shoes that don't fit:  Shoes have THREE parts in Second Life.  A left shoe, a right shoe, and a "shoe base".  The last item has an inventory symbol that looks like...a little shoe.   It distorts your foot so that the foot fits the curve of the shoe sole (especially important for women wearing heels).  Wear all three shoe items!  Also, most women's shoes are made to fit size 0 feet, so set your feet to that size in the Appearance menu.  (I don't recall the standard man's foot size...14?)

Hair also generally has two parts:  A hair object, and a "bald head" item.  The last item hides your "system hair" so that it doesn't show through the prim hair "wig" object.

One other tip:  Some of the default avatar skins in your Library have the underwear painted on the skin.  If you find that you can't Take Off your underwear, this may be the cause.  Try wearing a different skin.

• Like 1

cazey Jules wrote:

i can't get rid of my undershrit and when i try to take it off its says i have no undershirt on but i do

you are wearing a (newbie) skin that has underwear painted on and you need to replace it with a skin without one.

and congratulations on posting in a 1 1/2 year old thread

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4850 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.