Underaged player

Lark Bedrosian

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5078 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

13 answers to this question

Hello Lark, please see the Knowledge Base article How to report an underage Resident in Second Life

Second Life for adults, also known as "the Main Grid", requires that all Residents be 18 years or older, as stated in section 2.2 of our Terms of Service.

We take the problem of underage Residents very seriously. If you find someone under 18 years of age who shouldn't be on the Main Grid, here's what you need to do:

1. First, make sure they've actually admitted their underage status within Second Life, in their own words in chat. For example, "I'm 14" is clear evidence. We can't accept hearsay or rumors, so "I heard that so-and-so is a young teen" or "That griefer behaves like they belong on the Teen Grid!" don't count. "Confessions" on external instant messaging programs or any areas outside of Second Life itself can't be investigated either.
  2. Inworld, use Help > Report Abuse to bring up the abuse reporter tool.
  3. Click Select category and choose Age.
  4. Enter the required information as indicated, and please be specific. If you recently heard an underage admission in chat, copy-and-paste the snippet into the Details field. If it happened earlier and you don't have a chat record, just recite as much as you remember to help us know what to look for.
  5. Click the Report Abuse button and our Abuse Team will investigate it and take appropriate action. Thanks for your help.

In most cases, teens found on the Main Grid will be transferred to Teen Second Life, and their inventory will be cleared. This is done to discourage "shopping accounts" created for the purposes of bringing stuff across grids.

Accounts found to be 12 years or younger are too young to be on any version of Second Life, sorry.

If you're between the ages of 13-17 and somehow ended up on adult Second Life, please contact a Mentor on Help Island and let them know firsthand that you'd like to be moved to the correct grid.  If you think it would be funny, you can also file an Abuse Report against yourself, with your name and age. Your honesty is appreciated, and we hope you'll make lots of new friends while having fun in Teen Second Life!

Hope that helps : )

Does this really need to be said?  She is a MINOR playing in a MATURE sim.  For her personally, she needs to be banned from your sim (I assume you have rules posted that yours is a mature place and those under legal age are not allowed).  To prevent this from happening again, you need to make your sim an Adult one.  That way, anyone who has not gone through adult verification cannot enter.

• Like 1

I'm confused by the question.

If it's an adult user roleplaying as a 16 year old, ageplay is only banned in regards to sexual activity.  Not all mature sims have sexual content.  Ageplay is not banned by sim rating.

If it's a 16 year old user in real life, accessing the adult grid, they're not permitted ANYwhere in SL.  Sim rating is irrelevant.

Probably.  I had the same thing happen. I added someone as a friend that I met at a club I worked at.  He wanted me to tp him somewhere today and couldn't get there b/c of the maturity rating.  I told him how to get age verified and that's when he dropped the bomb that he was only 14???? Who let's their 14 year old kid online long enough for SL by theirselves?  I reported him as soon as he told me, blocked him, and unfriended him.  He just joined a few days ago and I had sent him dance folders, and places to get free clothes, and to a music venue.  I mean, I even told him what profession I'm in.  I'm curious if LLs keep a record of all the chat logs in case some of these kids try to call the police file false reports because we get them kicked off SL.  That's what worries me most.  SL will never be the same for me.  Everyone I meet from now on will get the age question.

I'm curious if LLs keep a record of all the chat logs in case some of these kids try to call the police file false reports because we get them kicked off SL. 

Is that supposed to be a joke? Do you really think any police department would even take that in the slightest bit seriously? And if they did (maybe they're extremely drunk?), what could you possibly get in trouble for? You have a reasonable expectation that anyone on SL is at least 18 (they'd have to violate the ToS and lie about their age), so unless someone already explicitly told you they are under 18, you really can't get in trouble for whatever you do.

Also, unless you make a big fuss about it, they'll likely never know that you were the one that reported them, so even more reason the paranoia is unfounded.

Who let's their 14 year old kid online long enough for SL by theirselves?

Most parents. Few personally watch what their kids are doing on the computer 24/7. Many rely on nanny software of some sort, but that'll be easy to circumvent (most are about as effective as a child safety bottle cap), and might not even block SL's website at all (or one of the other off-site registration pages, and a third party viewer's download page).

lol, Well I'm relatively new to SL, and I don't know how the legal system and Second Life coexist and whether this would ever become a serious issue.  I'm a worry wort so...you're right in a way.  Can't help it, it's in my nature...

I know parents don't really watch children 24/7, it's impossible.  And I do understand there are parents that have to work 2 or 3 jobs to make ends meet so they're not at home to watch them.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5078 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.