Powerline Ethernet

Gwendoline Philbin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5312 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hello,

Are Powerline Ethernet Bridges (such as Netgear XE102, etc.), which allow to transmit Ethernet thru domestic power supply networks, compatible with the communication protocols used by Second Life? The System Requirements (http://secondlife.com/support/sysreqs.php) state that "Second Life is not compatible with dial-up internet, satellite internet, and some wireless internet services", but do not mention above devices.

Thank you in advance.

6 answers to this question

Thank you Dante for your encouraging answer.

But I am not sure I fully understand your terminology (sorry English is not my mother language), so

1) which connection speed, to local network or to Internet? I have 10/100-baseT and 4Mb DSL.

2) does service mean the router modem? I estimate the wiring length between the latter and my PC to be 15-20 m.

Cheers

1. I mean your connection speed to the Internet. DSL is good.

2. "The Service" Means the servers which run Second Life, operated by Linden Lab. Users in countries farther from the servers experience slightly longer connection delays.

Though, you are correct that your local network wiring length also has an effect on your connections quality, 15-20m is fine.

Over all, you should be great with that setup.

Okay, then the only drawback really is the lack of support from LL, but I am used to it for my current WLAN, and because for some reason, since the recent server update, the latter has ceased to perform correctly when logged into SL, I am looking for an alternative. So at least I can try powerline ethernet without throwing my money out of the window from the start!

Over and out

yes that will work basically powerline Ethernet is the same as a wired ethernet,it just changes the modulation of the data so it can travel over the powerline.

It's faster than Wireless, and a great alternative for places where you can't really drill holes.

the only drawback is that they system has to be on the same power circuit, so if you have messy powerlines in your house or a lot of breaker boxes or anything that could make the flux non continous it will not work.

however if you can get a simple ping, then yes SL will work.

as I said it's no different from wired, wireless, etc.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5312 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.