Why can't I change my skin color/tone?

Shorahmin Femto

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5093 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

4 answers to this question

Hello There Shorahmin. Linden Labs implemented some outfits for Second Life awhile ago that include some actual skins. These skins take up the tattoos layer on the skin and are usually not semi transparent, as such they cannot be changed tone wise. To change your skin color you would need to find a semi transparent skin or create a new skin that has no layer on top of it and then adjust the sliders to the pigment / tone / color that you want.

• Like 1

Thanks Lina.  I also learned that some designer skins are (No Modify).  This means that the designer has chosen to forbid any future owners to change his/her work.  To see if this what's wrong, open inventory, type "worn" in the search box.  You will see a display of everything you are currently wearing.  If there is a special skin there, take it off.  Then you will be able to adjust your color.

Yes this is the case, the situation is that you should really choose your designer skin tones for the tone you want by trying on demos, they tend to look alot better then the base skins do but it is ultimately the users choice. You can always go to your inventory > create > new body parts > skin and wear that as well to get a base skin again...

I know I'm posting this a year later, but I recently wanted to darken my skin too and started a discussion on the same topic. Someone mentioned the new tattoo layer for SL Viewer 2 (which also works for Emerald but not for the older viewer) and the possibility of this being used for tanning. Following some investigation, I found a "Bronzed Tan" product by Curious Kitties on XStreet that wasn't easy to find in their enormous store, but when I did and bought it (L$400, a fifth of the price of a new Laqroki skin), it was perfect for me. A demo wasn't on display when I bought, but may be in the store now and can be obtained from Curious Kitties rep Morbidia Marchant in any event. Happy tanning!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5093 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.