Could I be punished for revealing information about another Resident without permission?

Lexie Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5289 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

4 answers to this question

Yes.  There are three forms of disclosure that violate the Second Life Terms of Service. Violation of the disclosure policy will result in a warning, ban, or suspension from Second Life.

The three types of disclosure that are not allowed in Second Life are:

Disclosure: First Life

This form of disclosure is defined as sharing personal information about a fellow Resident -- including gender, religion, age, marital status, race, sexual preference, and real-world location -– beyond what is provided by in their First Life page of their Resident profile. Disclosure of something that no reasonable person would believe ("Daniel Linden is from Mars") isn't a violation.

Disclosure: Remote Monitoring

Remotely monitoring inworld conversations without the knowledge or consent of all parties involved is a violation of the Terms of Service. If you feel recording a conversation is necessary, we recommend that you post a clearly visible sign in the recording location so that all Residents who enter can see it. Please note: the abuse team will need to determine if sufficient information was provided to the Residents who are being recorded. We recommend that you proceed with caution, provide documentation on your efforts to inform all parties they are being monitored, and find a secure area before recording begins.

Disclosure: Second Life

Sharing or posting a conversation inworld or in the Second Life Forums without consent of all involved Residents is a violation of the Terms of Service. Please note: this does not include posting of chat to MySpace, or external websites; those things might be illegal in real life, but those laws must be enforced by the proper real life enforcement agencies. "Conversation" means text that originally came from Second Life chat or Second Life instant messages. If it's totally unattributed, then it isn't considered disclosure. Additionally, Residents are not punished for sharing or posting a comment such as "Bob Resident said, 'You're the greatest!'"

Please bear in mind that there is one circumstance where you ARE allowed to "copy and paste" chat. If you are filing an Abuse Report, especially where you feel someone has broken the Terms of Service (TOS) or Community Standards (CS), then it is perfectly acceptable to copy and paste their chat into the Comment area of the A.R. in order to support your report.

LMAO!

Again another big joke from Linden Labs. I've seen tons of people report others for revealing information about them, and I've also filed a report, but again Linden Labs FAILS at doing anything about it because they don't give a crap they just want it to took look like they do.

Don't bother wasting your time filling out an abuse report because nothing will be done about it and I can say so from experience. The only thing I could suggest is find outside help because no one at Linden Labs will do anything about it.

Read before you post.  Note who the OP of this thread is?  I do believe that Lexie Linden knows all about the Lindens.  This is one of those "placeholder" questions that were put by the Lindens and the Mentors into this forum back when it was in beta.

Nevertheless, the first responder gave accurate information.  You can indeed be punished for revealing RL information about another Resident.  I've seen it happen.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5289 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.