Web page to modify object

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3623 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have been here over six years and have seen store after store after store disappear. Now I get a demo of a product and to modify I need to go to a web page. I don't think so, as I have seen over and over and over, stores disappear, needing a web page to modify something is not only a bad idea, its just down right stupid (IMHO). Unless I am missing something and... no, I don't think I can be missing that much. What made someone think that was a good idea, that is my question, why such a bad idea was thought of as a good idea by someone. Can anyone answer that? I guess maybe I could be missing something here but I don't think so.

Teagan,

You are very justified to be skeptical of purchasing devices in-world that need an external website to configure them. Even well rated and seeming long term companies fall dormant. http://www.henmations.com/hp/ comes to mind as an example of a now faltering company whose issues have been documented in these forums.

However, many long established companies provide these external support services and support their products well. I use several products that maintain databases outside the GRID. These products and their databases are accessible to me without entering SL which allows me to manage my businesses from anywhere, even PCs and networks that aren't capable of running SL.

The real trick is to do your homework and check the current reputation and reliability of a vendor offering such products. Then make your decision.

Any kind of inworld sculpt or mesh tool is going to have to do something out side of SL to work.  I have several tools for making sculpt maps inworld  that use a website to send you the texture, and have had no problems. 

I think the best way to see if they are safe to buy would be to join their support group and ask questions there to see what their customers say, I would all so look to see if they have inworld classes currently going on, that would be a good sign their still active.   Some have sand boxes for customers, going there would be a good way to talk to other people about the product .

I've been using off-world database systems extensively for over 7 years.  They can allow very powerful marketing tools like allowing COPY and TRANSFER on a L$1,000+ object so existing customers can give free trials to other people.  New customers can try them free for a month and pay a fee if they want to license it to their avatar.  You can also put them on sale in Marketplace for L$25 (to discourage nuisance downloads) and avoid LL commissions on the final sale.

The database costs me nothing, it is using a small portion of capability in a commercial website.

Many of my products would be impossible to do without the external data base. I guess the best security is to check the age of the vendor and take the risk if the product is effective.

As another proponent of off world databases and systems, I can sympathise with both sides.

There are things that we can do with outworld systems that cannot be done inworld but equally, there is always a valid concern about the "what if" the merchant disappears.

Even reputation won't always work as the example of Henmantions describes.  I've not been affected personally but there is one prime example of a once good reputation gone bad.

There is no easy answer sometimes other than to accept the risk and realise that in most cases, the actual value of the product is so tiny that the effect of the product ceasing to work is not a life changing experience.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3623 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.