RP communities in SL sure suck

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2514 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey all, avid role player here. I've noticed a huge trend in Second Life regarding roleplay communities. That trend is that most communities with a specific genre in focus have a terrible habit of forbidding almost everything that defines that genre/focus/demographic. One of the most prosperous places would be InSilico, which is a cyberpunk city and roleplay center. The problem is that it refuses to allow the vast majority of what makes something fit into that genre. InSilico is effectively a stock futuristic looking city that could be mistaken for something from Star Wars if you didn't know any better (I say that because I've actually heard people refer to it as such).  A similiar phenomenon is happening at this new World of Darkness place coming out: In WoD you play as vampires, werewolves, wraiths, demons, and more. In this sim you are forced to be a human-vampire (there appears to be some allowance to other things, but they are making it public that they are focusing on vampires). One of the vampire clans is pretty much designed around animals and turning into one, but at the sim they are forbiding the usage of animal avatars. That effectively eliminates about 8% of the entire vampire mythology right there, and Vampire made up about 33% of the entire franchise, if not more.

It's absolutely absurd how so few communities out there actually obey their own goals. It's more like the community is created so that the founder of the group/sim can have his own personal version of whatever roleplay that community is meant to be participating in. Something made in his vision, and his vision alone, so that he can play with his own private fantasy.

Has anyone else noticed this? I could list so many other places, but that'd take forever.

InSilco is really more of a failed attempt. They tried to get RP off the ground and even had one of the better RPers in SL trying to help them. Never did work. I really don't know much about WoD. Try looking for a theme that has freestyle RP that works for you. NoR and CoLA pop into mind. There are others out there that fall into the same category. Keep looking. You'll find one that works for you.

Well I agree with you that Roleplay in sl does suck to a certain degree but if some of them are repetitive, Vampire-Lycan stuff or the rules are too strict or very loose or the moderators breaking their own rules while ejecting and banning everyone else now Im not trying to force anybody's hand  Ya know your sim your rules but it wouldn't be a bad idea if some of the rp's were to be less restrictive on avies but like i said their sim their rules

The sim where I do my RPing is metered. The only restrictions on avi size are there because of the meter. Can't use petites because the avi is too small for the meter to register melee hits properly so the smallest you can be is as small as you can get with the SL sliders. On the other end, the largest is the size of the Underworld type lycan avi; again because of the meter target ball placement. Any avi you might use has to be of a size that the targeting ball is in the correct position if you plan to do any fighting. You can play without a meter but can't play aggressively with one caveat. If both players agree, you can RP fighting.

It will just be a matter of finding the right sim that matches your RP needs.

part of the reason the rp sim's suck because the owners want to play god in them and will only allow their friends to play fair. i in the other hand found that the serch destination thingies are riged as well. they do not and have not listed the bigger or other sims. and it is up to the editor to go list it. nothing more. so they pay to get it listed. and suck. i have a very laxed ruls in mine. but the name shoes them away. i rent the sim. but sl has deactivated alot of the sims and parked them to make it look good for their stocks. also those dam bots as well. make it hard to rp. anyway my rules are do not crash the sim, and yell unckle when you do not want to be bothered. i only bann the sim crashers, and grefers. all other stuff is fair play.  if the rp is what you want. go look around at the adult sims not listed. you will find a lot of them. like mine. it is just hard to find traffic in sl for sim owners anymore. and i feel playing god in the sims realy hurt the second life experience. people should respect the game and not punish other sims for not playing god. that is the bigest problem now. these big wig sims are just moneymakers nothing more. they are making it hard to have fun in the game. and people are leaving finding places that do have fun from blowing up stuff to racing, and all kinds of cultures... also i noticed that the god sim owners are discriminating about what the avitar looks like. saying the avitar has to look like a human, or furry, or something the god sim owners want. they do not alow creativity of the avitar. the avitar is a pupit the gam runer is the pupiteer. id should not mater what pupit or avitar you use. and people do not like to be told what to do with their PAID lindens and what they are doing with it. ps sorry about spelling.

I most certainly agree with you..like i said before most of the rp's have Strict av limits  like they said Lycan ok that's fine but how do you determine what a Lycan is? is it a tall Muscular AV like the 1st act wolf or a Smaller one like the KZK wolf? why does every rp has to do with Vampires and wolves?.. Why not let Furries rp?  how come they don't fit in some Rp's? but they allow Half human Unicorns with horns . Some Sim owners wonder why they're rp's can't get traffic or no new visitors or even fail if they just loosen up on some of the restrictions but again their sim their rules

As I said, NoR, where I RP, allows just about anything. The size restriction has to do with the meter. We have quite a few furries, several are Underworld type lycans. The only other restriction we have is you can't wear a meter and wear an avi that has you on all fours. Again, it's a restriction because of the meter.

Good luck

Alot of rp sims fail because of lack of either tons of rules exluding and pissing everyone off or lack of enforcement of rules. I just quite being an admin on a sim with lack of responsible admins and owners enforcing rules that stated no shooting EMS. People would do it anyway without much consequenses. One thing I have noticed is alot of disclussion of superheros/vigilantie types on most rp sims. If you don't like what a sim is doing either find a new one or start your own even if its a small one.

Places have themes. The vamptire sim's theme in the OP made perfect sense to me.

Animal Vampires? I guess I really need to re-read my Dracula or something. I love furry avatars and hate when they get banned from places, but if I was running that Vampire sim, I'd ban my own avatar's look...

Insilico... Is a very nice looking sim. I've been there a number of times on various alts... to go shopping. The problem I have there is the same problem I have on many SL RP sims. What to do, where to start, how to get involved, etc...

- I arrive in a place and either there's nothing going on, or what is occuring is a very select clique and there's no easy way to break the ice and join in that I can feel.

I'm not sold on the notion Insilico is dead... When I've gone through some of the info and looked at the profiles of involved members - they seem to be going strong. They just don't need you or I, or if they do, aren't putting it out there in a way that feel accessable.

- And the same is likely true of many other RP areas that appear 'dead' to outsiders.

That's kind of natural for any RP venue that's been open for a while. The stories that are going on are going on... and new people will feel like there's nothing going on because those stories already have their cast and aren't "on the landing spot" looking for new members...

I suppose if you ran a RP venue, you could set aside a day on a regular basis for 'noob recruiting' - on that day you use your theme to run some kind of open event that somehow makes sense for new characters, as a way to join in.

For example: "Every Friday, a shuttle craft arrives from the planet down below, delivering goods and sometimes people."

- Suddenly Friday is the day for new folks to hang out by the dock / port or the pub nearby and chat with the locals. The same concept could work in a fantasy RP.

In a Vampire RP, 'day X' could be the day that rival groups have a meeting and discuss... whatever it is vampire RPers do...

Thats what i said Before.. The rules are too strict  or too loose and the people give up. or the RP is geard towards a certain group so that group will always be on top/win. Earlier i was contacted by a sim owner about a rp i wanted to join when i told him i was a white stripped Feline(yes furry) he said  we don't allow furries but we allow Big Cats ok big cats how does one Define a Big cat?. see this is what Im talking about with some of rules.. Little to no Information. if leaves a person Fustrated

You should look up Uhre roleplaying realms, we do allow furries as long as they are not cartoonish in  avies and Uhre has some of the most lienent rules of roleplaying.If you are looking for a roleplaying realm to do as you want, with out rules, then a sl based sim where you can do what you want is allowed.

It's not so much a vampire sim as it is World of Darkness fan sim. The World of Darkness is basically a series of games allowing you to play vampires, werewolves, wraiths (ghosts), demons, and others. The animal vampires were written into the game because waaaaay back in human history people believed that vampires and werewolves were the same thing.

Basically what I meant was that in this sim the creators don't care about the other stuff so they are forcing people to be vampires and limiting the werewolves. It betrays the entire notion of setting up a fandom sim for people to enjoy when it doesn't even allow most of the content. It'd be like if a Star Wars sim forbid wookies and jedi, and this is pretty much what every single roleplaying sim does: InSilico only looks cyberpunk, but they have banned everything that defines that genre. Midian city is even worse because they replaced the stuff they banned with stuff that isn't even consistent with the genre they went for. The only sim I have ever seen that is at all faithful to its them is Drekiheim (not sure of the spelling on that).

There was an Urban city RP with the entire build made from custom mesh and the storyline was compelling and they allowed straight up furries (realistic, cartoonish, whatever) even if they didn't fit within the 'realistic city' theme.

I remember I was looking around and there was this lime green and black husky firefighter talking with a regular human guy and like nobody even batted an eye. It was perfectly fine. And I loved it.

However that placed closed due to poor management and inner bickering. I've yet to find a modern urban rp that allowed furries in since. It's sad, really.

it depends on the sim. From my experience, furries ruin immersion. How can a sim be based on realism and have a navy blue furry as a police officer? It just doesn't make any sense, and an RPer like myself has to try to bend and suspend disbelief. 

In some sims it works (where the theme is not neccessarily realism/modern RP).

What you fail to realize about 'realistic' rp is that even in those strict settings, nothing makes much sense.

In DE for example, a weekly weather report is out every few days, and the sim announces the current weather when you tp in, yet I see all the women running around in mini skirts in 40 degree weather and the guys in tank tops and jeans and nobody's complaining about the cold.

I see people rp sobering up in one post (from sloshy drunk to perfectly accurate at throwing punches and doing roundhouse kicks).

There's literally nothing going on that keeps me immersed, but that in no way ruins the fun of the rp. Having a random dog police man chasing down a criminal isn't really going to make it worse. If anything, it'll spice things up a bit.

Thats what i Mentioned earlier about the sim owners,Mods,Managers or what have you enforcing rules on others when they dont even follow the rules or when you mentioned the weather report and nobody in theme..  or when i asked about the lycan question or the Bigcat both RP Managers couldn't answer it... oh btw i would like to see Dog police man chane a Criminal :smileyvery-happy:

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, actually I have absolutely noticed this trend, which is why my partner and I opened Esterwell.  If you are intersted in a SIM where you can play to the lore that you want to and incorporate it into the story how you wish then take a look at our Website :D

http://esterwellchronicle.wix.com/esterwellchronicles

or visit

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Deep%20Desire/239/182/1308

• 2 months later...

i'd like to share my own personal experience for RPs like Glanmire i went to only once but it seemed to be poorly maintained as they only allow up to 1 or 2 dragons after that i left because they was so bad.

Drekiheim i tried once but it has gone downhill even admins there are no good at all seeing that almost no furry would talk to you due to it being so badly staffed even with no one helping you even stuff like that do avoid this one.

Avilion has lasted years originally naming themselves Avalon but sadly i was banned from there which i vowed to not return there with absolutely no storyline nothing as it's pretty empty most of the time and you don't find someone to talk to there as originally they had a ballroom which you only had to dress up but i was like forget that

Uhre was just a scale i'm going to describe because i've encountered several of the dragons there and they are not very welcoming there as i'd like for that RP to disappear because it really sucks

Urban RPs are just awful due to being that most of them are human avi only even like Dead End City strictly human avi only as i've noticed so many bad RPs pop up even the newest ones don't show up in search at all.

Obsidian Island is 1 i do not recommend others going to as you can't even get out of the sky seeing that they got some sort of security policy there that you can't even get out of a big dark box that traps you in the sky and no way out of there my advice do not go to the RP as the admins there are abusive and super power hungry

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2514 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.