Apply avatar skin on the mesh body part?

DerpWolf

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3703 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

None. Some creators use parts of their skins / clothing textures in appliers for known systems such as mesh hands, feets, breasts, bottoms... but only they can do it, typically by selling those appliers apart, and each one only for the specified system. It's up to each creator to offer them separately.

• Like 1

DerpWolf wrote: [..] 
Lousy.   

Can't say I disagree. Perhaps one day Linden Labs will standarize a system for that. Meanwhile, I can imagine skin / clothes creators yelling 'YET ANOTHER MESH APPLIERS SYSTEM??' every time something like this comes out, because they have to put effort for each one individually, according to the different systems' properties. SLink hands / feet / heads, butts, legs, breasts, lips, ears, genitals, whole or partial body avatars... no wonder they wait it out 'till each system becomes popular on its own. They'd have a full store just for the different appliers.

In IMVU, for example, making "anyskin" product just a matter of assigning correct material index on your mesh. In terms of compatibility between products, SL leaves enough to desire. Some standardized material system would be a great addition.

DerpWolf wrote:

In IMVU, for example, making "anyskin" product just a matter of assigning correct material index on your mesh. In terms of compatibility between products, SL leaves enough to desire. Some standardized material system would be a great addition.

Yes I have worked a little in IMVU a few years ago with Maya and the a mesh automatically work with any skin the avatar was wearing was super easy.  I really miss that not being available here in SL. :(

The really sad thing is if LL had picked the original Mesh Deformer over the FItted Mesh system, or just let us have both with some added code to apply the avatars skin layers automatically, we could have had totally custom full body and partial body mesh that would be seamless and super easy to use for the customers and much much much easier to rig and weight than the Fitted Mesh system. 

Too bad internal politics went the way it did.  Perhaps the new CEO will cut through all the garbage and see it be in Linden Lab's best interest to implement the original Mesh Deformer along with some added code.  The deformer is already fully tested and was paid for by a number of residents.  It was tested for a full two years compared to the a few months that the Fitted Mesh system was.

• Like 1

It is within the realm of technology to capture the uuids of the textures used for the different texture surfaces of the SL avatar, and then apply them to a mesh that has been constructed to have a compatible UV map.  The same is true for the textures of system clothes.  I have seen the technolgy demoed.  But doing so breaks all kinds of copyright rules, so other than technology demo, I know of no case where it has been or will be developed into a usable sysetm.  

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3703 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.