How do I save a web address on to a notecard so that someone can click on it and it opens browser

Talisien Darkwatch

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3651 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

5 answers to this question

Maddy's right. You can't put a clickable link into a notecard.  However, you can put full-perm objects into one, so if you want an elegant way to send a clickable link, try this:

1. Rez a prim.

2. Put an attractive texture on it if you wish.

3. Edit this short script, as appropriate (put your own message and URL inside the quotes, where I have dummy text and dummy URL) .....

default{    state_entry()    {        llSetText("Click this prim for an important link",<1.0,1.0,1.0);    }    touch_start(integer num)    {        llLoadURL(llDetectedKey(0),"An Interesting Link","http://This_is_the_URL_you_want_to_share.com");    }}

4. Be sure that the script is full perm and then put it in the Contents of your prim.

5. Be sure that the prim is full, perm and drag it into your notecard, along with a friendly message that says "Rez this prim and touch it for a special link", or whatever.

That's a whole lot more work than simply putting the link in your notecard and saying "Here, cut and paste this into your browser", but it could be more memorable and fun for something like a birthday greeting or a wedding invitation.  :smileyhappy:

• Like 3

As Maddy says, if you paste a link into a notecard, it's not directly clickable.

However, in addition to her suggestion of pasting it into a browser, you can copy and paste it into local chat or an IM window, and it will become acitve and clickable there.

Also, if the link is to a Second Life location (a SLURL) you can go to that place, make a landmark, and drag THAT into the notecard.  When double clicked, it will open and you can teleport to that location.

• Like 1

Thank you for your solution. However, I was trying to create a large library resource. The bookshelves contain notecards onto which I wanted to past a web link that would take you direct to a webpage for the free book to read. People can always copy and paste the link into their browser but it would have been so much more elegant to click on the address. I will have to think of another solution.

Visit the Main Library on Imagination Island. We have a large collection of books (well, a few hundred) that any resident may copy and take home. They all respond to a simple mouse click to open the web page where the text is. Most are Gutenberg editions; all are public domain. We also have an audio book HUD that loads Librivox recordings from notecards. There are about 75 notecards in that collection.

Also on Imagination Island, you might want to visit the Library of the Isles of the Mighty, which has a small but interesting collection of Celtic Literature. Theirs are all, I believe, in notecards accessible from the library shelves.

If you set your map view to find Imagination Island, it should aim you to the information kiosk at <128,128,23>, where you can get directions to those libraries and other resources.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3651 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.