Just a random basic question about Sculpting~

Kain Rhiadra

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3653 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi!

I am curious and would really like some opinions on this matter~

Which program do you guys think i should go with for creating Sculpts~?

I do not mind advanced. Neither do i mind the price. I just want opinons on the most reliable thing to use~

Thanks~! :cathappy:

6 answers to this question

hi

all the 3D program are great, but lindins have there own one.

check that out

If I remenber right

you need the full account,

I went with Blender.org

its free, and second to none, with lots of support in game, and user groups to joint.

but the textures are what make the sculpts.

your paint program on the computer is good, or down load gimp, I use the two.as thet are all free.

good luck

enjoy the game

byee

Kain, if you wish to make sculpts you might look here: http://blog.machinimatrix.org/ look there for Primstar 2. If you want to make mesh instead, you can go with any 3D Program, that supports the DAE (Collada) format. Blender is quite often used. There are also so called "Inworld tools" around, the most known are "Sculpt Studio" and "Mesh Studio". For mesh creation you don't need to be Premium, but Payment Info on file and making the mesh tutorial:)

I wouldn't waste time making sculpties.  They were a temporary, very limited way to make 3D objects before LL made it possible for us to create and import true mesh.  Scupties are inefficient and in many cases result in a significantly higher L.I. than mesh objects.  They are effectively obsolete in SL today.  If you want to start 3D modelling, move directly to making mesh.  Blender is free and is the most widely used tool in SL today.  You will find hundreds of tutorial videos on line and a large community of modelers in world and here in the forums.

• Like 3

As Rolig says, sculpted prims are the "old" way of making organic 3D shapes for Second Life.  But if you want to make either sculpts or mesh, Blender is free, and quite capable.  If you want to spend a few thousand $$, Maya is very popular, and LightWave 3D as well.  ALL of these programs have a very steep learning curve.  Be prepared to spend several months to a year or more of daily practice with any of them to become competent.

Sculpts are made by starting with a sphere.  You then use the modeling program's tools to push and pull the vertices of the sphere into the shape you want, and save the new positions as a UV weight map.  This map is then imported into SL like any other texture, and applied to a sculpted prim to distort it into the shape of your model.

A mesh object is, in many ways, more straightforward.  Start anywhere, and build your model using all of the software's modeling tools.  Save it as a .dae (Collada) file and import it into SL.

Both sculpties and Mesh are given a color texture by creating a UV map for them.  This is done by "unwrapping" the object and mapping it onto a flat plane, the "UV space".  This template is imported into a paint program like Photoshop or GIMP, and a texture is painted onto it.  That texture is then imported back into the modeling program and saved as part of the object file, or imported into SL as a texture and applied to the object.

EDIT:  If you are wanting to make mesh clothing, there's a program called Marvelous Designer that's used along with Blender that can make things a lot easier.  You can see some tutorials/demonstrations of this on YouTube.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3653 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.