Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
TaylorMcKenna

Impersonation and Griefing

Recommended Posts


TaylorMcKenna wrote:

I also have notecards from the Green Lanterns, who have been working with region owners, peoeple who have places that have been griefed.

Yeah, don't do that, not if you ever want things to get back to normal. It's a proven way to spur griefers to continue and escalate. 

Considering how much aggravation results from their involvement, one really has to wonder who's the real griefer.

That, and they prey exclusively on the most vulnerable: those who've already been harrassed even to the point of accepting such "help".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Qie Niangao wrote:


TaylorMcKenna wrote:

I also have notecards from the Green Lanterns, who have been working with region owners, peoeple who have places that have been griefed.

Yeah, don't do that, not if you ever want things to get back to normal. It's a proven way to spur griefers to continue and escalate. 

Considering how much aggravation results from their involvement, one really has to wonder who's the real griefer.

That, and they prey exclusively on the most vulnerable: those who've already been harrassed even to the point of accepting such "help".

The on going saga of the Green Lanterns in their quest to remove griefers from the Grid really does begin to read like an epic comic book story of self aggrandizing heroes verses villians with innocent bystanders getting caught in the fall out from their actions.

Associate with them and you can become a target dependent upon their imagined powers.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just wish to update things.

 

The two names that were impersonating me are no more. LL has deleted those accounts. The display name account and the one with the extra "a".


Yesterday, out of pure frustration, I messaged Ebbe Linden. Today, he was kind enough to reply to my message saying that things were taken care of and that the abuse team does act on abuse reports.

Ebbe did restore my faith in that system. It does work.


Not very often that you hear residents say this...Thank you Linden Lab.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


TaylorMcKenna wrote:

I just wish to update things.

 

The two names that were impersonating me are no more. LL has deleted those accounts. The display name account and the one with the extra "a".

 

Yesterday, out of pure frustration, I messaged Ebbe Linden. Today, he was kind enough to reply to my message saying that things were taken care of and that the abuse team does act on abuse reports.

Ebbe did restore my faith in that system. It does work.

 

Not very often that you hear residents say this...Thank you Linden Lab.

 

Its very good to hear you've had a positive outcome.

Here's hoping Ebbe waves his magic wand over a few more things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Marigold Devin wrote:


TaylorMcKenna wrote:

I just wish to update things.

 

The two names that were impersonating me are no more. LL has deleted those accounts. The display name account and the one with the extra "a".

 

Yesterday, out of pure frustration, I messaged Ebbe Linden. Today, he was kind enough to reply to my message saying that things were taken care of and that the abuse team does act on abuse reports.

Ebbe did restore my faith in that system. It does work.

 

Not very often that you hear residents say this...Thank you Linden Lab.

 

Its very good to hear you've had a positive outcome.

Here's hoping Ebbe waves his magic wand over a few more things.

Glad to hear it Taylor!

Now, lay low!

Ebbe's magic wand has a lot of work to do elsewhere.

;-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would be nice if Ebbe's order signaled a new -- or rather reversion to -- a policy where those who are in SL solely to harrass and/or thieve and scam, have their accounts deleted. This used to happen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought the impersonation was over.


Sadly I was wrong.

Got an IM out the blue last night. A short message that said "hehe" and guess what the display name was?

You guessed right...the display name was my account name.

 

Partner and myself both abuse reported this new deviation. Both of us mentioned about Ebbe. I also suggested that LL dig deeper into this by looking at the IP and MAC addresses against the griefer who has been terrorizing the gay regions since summer of last year, seeing if that matches up to the known griefer that is being suspected.


I just hope if it comes to fruition that this person is one and the same, that LL actually permabans the person. This is now the third incarnation of impersonation of myself and should not be tolerated.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


TaylorMcKenna wrote:

I thought the impersonation was over.

 

Sadly I was wrong.

Got an IM out the blue last night. A short message that said "hehe" and guess what the display name was?

You guessed right...the display name was my account name.

 

Partner and myself both abuse reported this new deviation. Both of us mentioned about Ebbe. I also suggested that LL dig deeper into this by looking at the IP and MAC addresses against the griefer who has been terrorizing the gay regions since summer of last year, seeing if that matches up to the known griefer that is being suspected.

 

I just hope if it comes to fruition that this person is one and the same, that LL actually permabans the person. This is now the third incarnation of impersonation of myself and should not be tolerated.

 

Sadly, this does not surprise me.

I hope you did not respond to the IMs.  Immediately you should have blocked/muted this person.  While you respond in any way at all, and they know that you are responding to them, you are playing exactly into their hands.  Even having this very visible forum thread is feeding them. 

Good that you have kept us all up-to-date, but bad that you are also keeping your impersonator up-to-date too.

From now on, all you can do is what you have already done. For as many times as it takes this person to recreate 'you', just treat blocking/muting them as part of your normal daily routine, until they get fed up and move on. Which they will once they realise that there are far more interesting things to do in life than be creating new alts just to be 'you'. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


TaylorMcKenna wrote:

I thought the impersonation was over.

 

Sadly I was wrong.

Got an IM out the blue last night. A short message that said "hehe" and guess what the display name was?

You guessed right...the display name was my account name.

 

Partner and myself both abuse reported this new deviation. Both of us mentioned about Ebbe. I also suggested that LL dig deeper into this by looking at the IP and MAC addresses against the griefer who has been terrorizing the gay regions since summer of last year, seeing if that matches up to the known griefer that is being suspected.

 

I just hope if it comes to fruition that this person is one and the same, that LL actually permabans the person. This is now the third incarnation of impersonation of myself and should not be tolerated.

 

Unfortunately IP and MAC bans are fraught with error.  IP bans can snare many innocent people and MAC addresses can be spoofed, etc, etc.  None of us can speak officially but from all I have read and heard they are something that LL reserves only for the most egregious violations.

Your best course of action is going to be AR and then ignore.

You have to remember that Griefers enjoy the attention and they enjoy the fight.  So anything you can do to NOT feed them works to your advantage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hmmm been there i hate to tell you this LL not going to do alot for you ,,, i been impersonation i few time tell they really broke LL TOS you wont see anything getting done,,,  the useing of your name is not in the TOS,,, you say they impersonation you good luck proveing even if you do still LL wont dont anything it like Res VS Res ,, who to say that can can have the same name has you ? if you look up my name you will see what i mean,, and for every saying to keep AR him/her yeah do that but dont just been senting AR ,, you could get ban for spaming the AR ,, deal with it or leave that all you really got ,,, even if LL ban them they be back on a new alt so you back to where you started from ,,, what i did mute and lay low and i still get a im sometime good luck with it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been there too.

In fact I and the sim i go to have been griefed by the same person who harrassed the OP. I know because Taylor named him and his alts in another forum.

This person spends most of his time going from sim to sim looking for places to attack, he is the typical griefer.

He goes from basic trolling, to viewer crashing using an open GL crasher, he also joins sim group to spread lies in the group chats, and when he finds someone who tries to resist him , he impersonates them, sends his alts to spread lies about the person, harrass them in Ims, contact people who go to the same place........

The truth is there is real way of stopping people like that for LL, he will just create new alts, the part infuriating me though is that his main account , and his alts have been abuse reported numerous time (i know at least 3 different sim owners who did that), and his main account is still there.

The best way is to totally ignore him and pity him. Yes i know it is not easy, but he is a very deranged kid who should not be allowed on the internet.

When you AR him do mention that he is an ALT and his real account name ?.

Two days ago after we ared a neighbour club who was spamming our sim a governor linden did show up and solved our problem, so who knows maybe Ebbe is really changing things.

One can only hope....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...