Rude landlord

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3035 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Has anyone else had an ill-mannered landlord? I asked mine if he could change the colour of my walls in the flat I'm renting as my lights are light coloured and the walls are bright white. He was really rude about my lights being ugly, this is coming from a guy whose original wall color was bright hot pink !

I've unfortunately a week to live there as rent is paid but i just feel like leaving now. He also got really annoyed when i asked him for a group tag , so i could rezz my stuff, has anyone else had a rotten experience like this? Do we actually have any rights as tenants? My objects are sometimes'lost' as well. I've never gotten some of them back, he just ignores me on this one as well.:matte-motes-frown:

Hi Bambi;

Am sorry to hear about your experience with your landlord.
 I can understand the frusteration i have been there.

If you would like to look for another place to rent you might be interested in our resort.

We have houses that allow you to change everything including the textures on the floor, walls, etc and you do not need us to change them. As an tenant you are also part of a community and have voting rights for when we add something you have a say in if it should or shouldn't happen.

You can visit the following post for more details and our website skysmanor.com lists all of our currently available rentals 24/7.  Am also available to answer any questions if you have any.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Parcels-for-Rent-Estate/Sky-Manor-Resort-Your-all-inclusive-resort-destination/td-p/2671744

Hope this helps and I wish you the best.

My favourite landlords are those who just let me pay rental boxes, give me a notecard and a group tag, and leave me completely alone. Some have allowed me to change the walls of my homes - more often than not I've rented places that have a choice of buildings to be rezzed, and then added my own furniture.

You don't have any rights really as a tenant in Second Life; landowners can take your money and close down the sim if they so choose (although this relatively rarely happens).

I think you have just dropped unlucky with this particular landlord, and as its just one week's rent that's paid, I'd cut my losses and move on. 

Wishing you a happier future.

bambi Littlebird wrote:

[...] My objects are sometimes'lost' as well. I've never gotten some of them back, he just ignores me on this one as well.:matte-motes-frown:

What did you expect him to do about this?

That you apparently did expect him to do something about it puts the rest of this in a somewhat different light.

He may not be the best landlord in the world, but it's just possible there are two sides to this.

bambi Littlebird wrote:

Has anyone else had an ill-mannered landlord? I asked mine if he could change the colour of my walls in the flat I'm renting as my lights are light coloured and the walls are bright white. He was really rude about my lights being ugly, this is coming from a guy whose original wall color was bright hot pink !

I've unfortunately a week to live there as rent is paid but i just feel like leaving now. He also got really annoyed when i asked him for a group tag , so i could rezz my stuff, has anyone else had a rotten experience like this? Do we actually have any rights as tenants? My objects are sometimes'lost' as well. I've never gotten some of them back, he just ignores me on this one as well.:matte-motes-frown:

Let me tell you a story..

I rented 1/4 parcel on a private sim, I explained to her that I would have a small store. Fine she said as long as no huge events etc. ok great. Sounded great I asked about most everythign i needed to know to which she agreed. I start moving in, then she starts returning things I rezed saying. It has a script you cant rez it.. I had 1 zoobie dog I rez for patrol. No more, I wasnt into breeding cats then.. He didnt do much harm and there was only 2 parcels rented. So, it kept getting returned over and over. Then she starts returnign EVERYTHING. I was like OMG! Just refund me the MONTH you required i paid and lets forget this happened. (was only 2 days) Nope she would NOT do it. OmG can you imagine how pissed I was?

What I could do. NOTHING. what I did MOVE

Lesson learned, now I rent on mainland

• 1 year later...

An update, I'm now renting mainland and it's cool, i just pay rental box and I never see my landlord.

I have kept in touch with a few of the other residents from the previous place i rented and it's come as no surprise to me that they have moved on from there as well, :matte-motes-big-grin-wink:

• 5 months later...

There are technical limitations that can hamper or limit what a Landlord can do. Now it is true that sometimes people don't work as hard as they should, and maybe a bit more time spent explaining why the "No" answer is given would be better, but it could also be that your Landlord is worn to a frazzle from questions to which he has no answer.

Just FYI .. a very large majority of Inventory Lost problems turn out to be a problem on the user's computer .. network connections, cache issues .. etc. It can be quite exhausting and infuriating to try and explain that truth to people when all they ever do is accuse you of ripping them off or cheating them in some fashion.

As Qie said .. there very well could be two sides to this issue. It would probably be best if both sides could talk it through calmly and with no emotion. But somehow, when you add human beings to a problem .. emotions tend to come as part of the package.

Glad to hear you're doing okay now though. Cheers and enjoy!

PS: Just so it's extra clear .. Items you lose don't show up in the Landlord's inventory. They don't show up anywhere. If they are truly gone and cannot be recovered into your Inventory, then they are gone forever. They don't pass on to someone else, they just cease to exist. Many folks don't get that point; they believe that if it left their Inventory then someone else gets it .. and they often think the Landlord somehow took it. That can't and doesn't happen.

bambi Littlebird wrote:

Erm ,as it was his sim I would have expected him to account for  my  lost objects..

I can't say anything about the rest and there sure are rude and unreliable landlords both on islands and mainland in SL. But you can't blame him for that one at least. There is abolsutely no way he could have deleted your items. He could have returned them but then he would just send them back to your inventory (into your loast and found folder), they wouldn't disappear. There's no way he could have helped your recover anything you may have lost in other ways either.

bambi Littlebird wrote:

Erm ,as it was his sim I would have expected him to account for  my  lost objects.. There are not two sides to this I was paying him my hard earned money to rent from him so I believe I have rights as a tenant.

Don't know what you're insinuating btw:matte-motes-frown:

I doubt I had anything specific in mind at the time -- now over a year and a half ago. But while some landlords may be less than perfectly helpful, sometimes forum posters have a subjective view of events, and I may have wanted subsequent posters to keep in mind that this landlord might have seen things differently had s/he been able to post a response.

As I said, the specific thing triggering that thought was the business with lost objects -- which again now you're claiming a landlord could somehow "account for." That is asking for -- no, expecting -- the nearly impossible. So, leaving aside all about landlord / tenant relations here, the most helpful thing I can suggest is the viewer's "Build / Pathfinding / Linksets..." window, useful for tracking down one's own stray objects. (There are other tools, too; in any case, it's way easier to find one's own stray objects than for anybody else to try do it.)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3035 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.