Free Temporary Textures

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3655 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I haven't made anything in a few years but recently started again. The Phoenix viewer used to have an option for free temporary textures but I haven't seen that with the Firestorm viewer. Do either the SL or Firestorm viewers have that option? I recently read somewhere that the SL beta viewer had that option. I used to upload a lot of temporary textures before uploading the finished ones so I really do need the temporary option.

When you have the build menu you click the object you wish to texture, go to the texture tab, and when you click the texture to select one. it will pop up as inventory, and there will be two circles below the actual display. Invetory, and local. Select local and you can open up a variety of image types. This allows you to quickly save over your image and it will appear instanly on your object if that object has a local image as its texture.

• Like 1

If you feel more confident uploading and placing on the object rather than doing the "local" thing, you can always go to the beta grid where uploads are free. This is what you need to do if others need to see the textures too, such as customers (not terribly handy) or other builders you are collaborating with.

Temp textures went away awhile ago as it was always a "hack". Something that got fixed (I don't remember just what) plugged the hole. Once you get used to local it works pretty well; not as good as temp textures though -- for me anyway.  

• Like 1

I like local textures a lot, especially for something like an alpha mask.  I can load the local texture onto my avatar and start dancing.  (How the mask works when animated is my focus.)   Then I can poke around in Gimp, tweaking the mask.  As soon as I save it in Gimp, it gets updated on my avatar.  *Much* better than having to upload and apply.

• Like 1

"Something that got fixed..."

I think the hack was a subversion of the local avatar texture baking in the viewer, from where the baked texture was uploaded to the server and on to other viewers. Since the move to serve-side baking, the code used for the hack was no longer available (or at least, no longer functional).

Rhys Goode wrote:

I like local textures a lot, especially for something like an alpha mask.  I can load the local texture onto my avatar and start dancing.  (How the mask works when animated is my focus.)   Then I can poke around in Gimp, tweaking the mask.  As soon as I save it in Gimp, it gets updated on my avatar.  *Much* better than having to upload and apply.

Agreed - I love that when I save a new version of the texture it automatically updates on my avatar!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3655 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.