Are IP Address Trackers again being used in SL?

Marcus Ansia

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2295 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Innula Zenovka wrote:

Marcus Ansia wrote:

Could it be possible there is another loophole that has been discovered and now needs to be closed?

I don't see how.   There's only a couple of LSL functions that ask your viewer for your IP address, in order to deliver content -- typically streaming music -- direct to your computer.   They need you to be on the same sim as the script.  If you're not in the same sim, they can't see you and don't know anything about you.

From your descriptions of what you and your daughter saw when attempting to TP to the sim, it is clear that everything was happening well before you left the start sim, let alone after 
you arrived at the destination sim, so none of these functions would be applicable.

If someone has figured out a way to scrape your IP DIRECTLY FROM the Second Life Servers then personally I would  consider it a security hole.  And not only that, but it could be considered a serious legal issue.

I know the laws are still a hodge podge on this, but in general,

"Unauthorized access" entails approaching, trespassing within, communicating with, storing data in, retrieving data from [my emphasis], or otherwise intercepting and changing computer resources without consent [my emphasis]. These laws relate to either or both, or any other actions that interfere with computers, systems, programs or networks."

http://www.ncsl.org/research/telecommunications-and-information-technology/computer-hacking-and-unauthorized-access-laws.aspx

When it comes to Media, all that the servers do is pass the URL for that Media on to your computer.  When you chose to play that Media it is a pipe that has no connection to the SL Servers.  At that point you make a direct connect from your computer to the source of the Media. 

Example:

"The Second Life Viewer connects directly to the server that is providing the video, so the videos are downloaded directly by your computer and viewed as part of the immersive inworld experience."

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Streaming_Video_in_Second_Life#Videos_are_not_stored_on_Linden_Lab.27s_servers

As I have previously explained, I don't have Music, Media or Voice activated when I go to other sims.  Not specifically because of any security issues, but simply because I don't want to hear the music or see/hear the media that is playing there.  I personally find it annoying and distracting.

Therefore, I can categorically state that I DID NOT have any of the above activated anytime I entered that particular region in the past and as such, I have not given my consent to any data being taken from me in order for external data to be sent to me i.e. music or video.

And again, if LL have made code changes in order for my IP Address to be used to block any suspected griefing actions by me then I have no issues with this.   But, I would still like to know why I was banned in the first place?  An answer which has never been forthcoming.

Marcus Ansia wrote:

And again, if LL have made code changes in order for my IP Address to be used to block any suspected griefing actions by me then I have no issues with this.   But, I would still like to know why I was banned in the first place?  An answer which has never been forthcoming.

It is kind of nice to know 'why.' 

But on a kind of crazy note, if this was an Estate Ban (which your description indicates), It might not have been this location the ban originated from.  Which would make it even more frustrating to figure out. 

If, hypothetically, this was an estate ban and I had originated from another region would I not then have been ejected immediately I entered the region in question?

I had been there for at least 25 to 30 mins or more, looking around from table to table, buying one item, then buying another, then finally a third item.  I had just then taken this 3rd  purchase into my inventory, because at most Yard Sales you are buying the original item which is on display and set for sale, so you buy it and then you own it, so you have to take it into your inventory, when I suddenly found myself back at my home location, but with no message or indication as to why.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...

Can't believe I read this whole thread...

If indeed LL is in on these bans, why would they need to resort to IP banning, which is, as previoulsy mentioned, ineffective as any kind of real identifier.

Remember - if you're using any approved viewer, it's running as an executable on your machine and can identify *your machine* quite trivaly, by a combination of your MAC address, and any number of UUIDs / serial #s, like motherboard, chassis, HD volume #....

Why wasn't any of this mentioned?

• 1 month later...

Hey, 

Yes there are IP trackers and its being sold by Monkey Wonder.  How do I know?  My sister went to ScrapGoldExpert's land to visit him and gave me  a LM to check it out.  Not only was I booted as soon as I landed, I was put on a list outside Secondlife per Monkey Wonder's product.  I wasnt listening to music, nor did I have voice on. So how did that product of Monkey's capture my IP ?

Check it out.

• 1 year later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2295 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.