Sign in to follow this  
lolachiq

Wanting to know more about Mesh

Question

The best advice is "start small." If you are new to 3D modeling, the last thing you want to try as a beginner project is a mesh avatar.  Download and install Blender (it's free!) and count on spending a few weeks with tutorials until you are comfortable with the interface and can make easy things like vases and birdhouses.  Lurk in the Mesh forum and ask questions as things get puzzling.  It will be quite a while before you have mastered the basics and are ready to take on the bigger challenge of creating rigged mesh.  Just be patient.  If you leap to the big project before you have the basics of 3D modeling under control, you'll just get frustrated.  There are loads of beginner-level tutorials for Blender on line.

• Like 2

3 answers to this question

The best advice is "start small." If you are new to 3D modeling, the last thing you want to try as a beginner project is a mesh avatar.  Download and install Blender (it's free!) and count on spending a few weeks with tutorials until you are comfortable with the interface and can make easy things like vases and birdhouses.  Lurk in the Mesh forum and ask questions as things get puzzling.  It will be quite a while before you have mastered the basics and are ready to take on the bigger challenge of creating rigged mesh.  Just be patient.  If you leap to the big project before you have the basics of 3D modeling under control, you'll just get frustrated.  There are loads of beginner-level tutorials for Blender on line.

• Like 2

I second Rolig's suggestions.

Mesh is created in an external program.  You need 3D modeling software!  These programs range from free (Blender) to several thousand dollars (LightWave 3D, Maya), but regardless of the cost, they are all highly complex and have a steep learning curve.

While I don't want to discourage you from learning 3D modeling with one of these tools, it's a long, slow process.  Make use of tutorials on the web, books, and consider taking a formal course or two at your local college or university (or, these days, an online one.)

You will also need to learn how to use a 2D painting program, to texture your meshes.  Again, these programs require a lot of practice and learning.  And again, you can get software for free (GIMP) or for a lot of money (Adobe Photoshop.)

And, while you are doing that, the ordinary Second Life tools for creating and linking simple prims together are right here.  IMO, they are much easier to learn than the complexities of Blender or Photoshop.

I am in agreement with the previous posts. I have been working in Blender for over a year a LOT and still wouldn't tackle a mesh avatar or head. That might be me but there is a WHOLE lot to learn.

If you are a sequential kind of learner, I suggest this series of Blender tutorial from a professor who apparently uses these in his classes. They are slow and go through things thoroughly. Most (not all) are applicable to Second Life and designing for other grids.

http://vimeo.com/channels/blendervideotutorials

Good luck. It is fun (most days) when you understand how it all works. It was however the most difficult sortware that I have ever learned and I made my living on the web for over a decade :D.  So not a walk in the park by any mean.

• Like 1