My mind is blown

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3641 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello again my lovely second life frequenters.

Today was my first time in the actual second life world and I was trying to find a place to go. I posted before about places to go and frequent to talk to people, but I am a novice and I was trying to get used to everything. However, I noticed something that surprised me.

I clicked the tab that said destinations and found a section that said "What's hot now" so i clicked on it, expecting to find plenty of people. Although, to my let down, when I went to these destinations there was basically no one there and if there was a single person they wouldn't speak.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but I am just a bit surprised that people don't really seem interested in speaking.

What's going on with you all?

Have any similar experiences?

What's going on with the "What's hot now?" tab?

Why are these destionations "ice cold?"

help...

• The Destinations listing is maintained by Linden Labs (from users' submitted suggestions, yes, but it's the Lindens who sort through them and decide) which, shall we say, doesn't usually give the impression of being exactly overstaffed.
  • Conversely, many users may fail to bother submitting suggestions to that list at all for that reason; also because the submission process isn't as easy as it perhaps should.
  • Some of the people not speaking in public may be doing so privately, in IMs. Or doing some other things while they wait for any interesting conversation to start -and there's no telling what each user may find interesting enough.
  • Some users may be AFK (“away from keyboard”), and therefore unable to join the conversation at all, even if there's an interesting one going on. And yes, there are tags to be used to indicate you're AFK, but sometimes they're forgotten -or ignored, for that matter.
  • Keep trying. If it really was your first time, you've unlikely visited enough places. Check not only the “what's hot”, but music clubs and events and other places described as social gathering points. Many of them have a more constant flow of visitors who, indeed, would be ready to talk.

Hello, When I first started I went to locations in the Destinations listed as "chat hot spots". People seem to always be having conversations there. Also a lot of the places listed as "newcomer friendly" you will find people chatting.  The one place that is always busy it seems is London City.  :)

Some people just do not chat in local much. 

Good luck

Someone already explained how the hot spot thingworks.

One thing that personally bothers me is why people assume everyone should talk and be social when you are visiting in a sim. Sometimes I am in multiple conversations through IM and a stranger approaches, ten if you don't answer them back they get pissed. In some other occasions I have visited romance sims with female friends, and even if we are alone in a spot someone suddeny runs/flies towards us trying to engage a conversation. Common, you don't even do that in RL if you see a couple alone!

But yeah is my rant :P You can always check the person's profile first, some state that they like to be alone or don't like  be approached by strangers

SL is a large place, catering to people all over the world.  While there are places that get busy, they are not usually busy 24 hours a day.  The amount of people at these spots will vary by time zone.  It can take some time to find a place with like-minded people that becomes a regular haunt for you, that is also populated at the same time you are usually on SL. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3641 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.