: Intel 82945G Express Chipset

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3668 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I just updated from XP to Windows 7 home premium 64 bit and the Linden viewer will not load to the point of the login screen.  All I get is the outline of a new window.  The whole system becomes very slow or non-responsive to the point of having to pull the plug.  I never had any problems when running it with XP.  AND FIRESTORM x64 (bit) RUNS JUST FINE.   The device manager says my graphics driver is current but Intel’s site has drivers specific for Win 7 64 bit but the install fails saying it’s not validated for my computer to go to the computer manufacturer.  I go there (HP) and the driver they have is the same already installed that is supposed to be for Windows 7.

Yes I know it’s not a great gamming machine but it ran the both the Linden and Firestorm viewers with Windows XP and it still runs Firestorm with Windows 7 but not Linden’s viewer.  So I guess I’ll never run Linden’s viewer again.

System: windows 7 home premium

Service pack 1

RAM: installed: 3GB (1.25GB available)

CPU: Intel Pentium D 820 2.8 GHz (supports SSE (1, 2, 3)

System type: 64bit

Display: Intel 82945G Express Chipset

5 answers to this question

Here is the comparative performance graph for the Intel 82945G Express Chipset.

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=Intel+82945G+Express+Chipset+Controller+0&id=924

It's a no go period. Sorry.

Your Dual CPU rates pretty low as well but will run SL if you add a discrete Graphics card.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Pentium+D+2.80GHz

If SL ever ran on this it was with an old version viewer and at the absolute lowest graphics level. If it is working with the current Firestorm viewer keep that viewer until your graphics chipset is no longer supported.

As I said I know it’s not a great gamming PC. I had already been to both of the links you gave me before updating to 7. I debated about just buying a new PC instead of spending the money for Windows 7. But the video cards in SL’s system requirements don’t seem to be made anymore so it’s hard to know if a current one is “better” than one in their list and there are so many that absolutely will not work. I would not have minded spending $600 0r $700 for an Intel i5 CPU and trade DDR2 RAM for DDR3 but to find out I needed to spend another 2 to $400 if I guessed wrong on the GPU just for this one game was a little much. It would be nice if SL would update their system requirements.

Thanks for the response though but I’ll just limp along with Firestorm x64. The only reason I wanted the SL viewer is to help a noob out once in awhile anyway.

You can get an adequate PC for accessing SL for $400.00 - Link follows: http://toptengamer.hubpages.com/hub/Best-400-Computer-Build-Gaming - :)

You can add a GC pretty easily that will up your game. - The price for old school 2012/2013 GCs is really down there - remember that if you get one of the higher end GCs you may need to upgrade your PC's power supply as well.

The problem isn't the viewer so much as it is that that computer was never designed to run Windows 7. 

If you need to upgrade from XP (and you probably should, MS has stopped supporting XP as of today), then you should also get yourself a new computer.  If you want to run SL, be sure to get at least 4 GB of RAM (more is better) and a discrete graphics card (don't buy any machine that offers "integrated graphics" even if the advertising says it's "great for games.")  The Nvidia GeForce GTX 450 and higher are good cards for an SL machine.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3668 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.