Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
garey Solo

Alts and IP Addresses

Recommended Posts

Hi there. I have two questions a

Firstly . My partner in rl and sl has recently moved into my home address in real life. I'm wondering whether his sl account will now be linked with my avatar account because we're using the same IP address. Or do LL base things on where the original account was set up to differentiate between them?

My second question . Is there a way to retrieve all the alt account names associated with my main avatar? I tried submitting a ticket but havent had a reply as yet. Thanks in advance for any help.:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's fairly difficult to say I'm afraid, since LL rarely release information about how they profile users.

The main guidance I'd use is that if you both have Payment Info On File, you'll be recognised as distinct human operators regardless of where your IP address resolves to. (Congratulations, also!)

The answer to your second question is no. LL typically do not consider alts and mains unless they're applying administrative restrictions to accounts. When this is determined, it's possible for third parties (not your mains or alts) to wind up on hold as well, especially if you pass money between each other regularly. Removing your account on hold due to being incorrectly flagged as an alt of someone who's main is on hold is possible.

Information in this post is mostly obtained by second-hand experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

accounts don't get linked, they are individuals for LL even if you have 5 signed up ( thats official the max amount of avatars per household, but never seen LL keeps you limited to that)

 

as far you want to get all your previous avatars, only when you signed them up with different email adresses you can find all yourself at a easy way, you can let the password recovery send a email with your name to the email you signed up with. But be aware... if you signed up with only one email adress... often only the last account will be remembered than

I think, if they want to help with this, your ticket will get the same route... you'll have to provide information about your sign up, they won't simply trust on your blue eyes and tell you avatar names.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My partner doesn't have payment info on file but I do. The main problem is that I will shortly be having a restriction put on my account and I don't want it to affect my partners sl experience. Is there a way to determin if the IP address counts for us both. In other words will my situation with LL affect my partners account?

The reason I ask about alts is that when my restriction goes into place I would like to use one of my alts. I set up alts a long time ago at a different IP address. My old home. Will I be able to log in with them at my current IP  address?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really doubt that Linden Lab will be able to furnish you with the information you are requesting regarding alts; this is something they expect us to keep a tally of (which shouldn't be hard as *officially* we're only allowed a maximum of 5 accounts per household)

However, to jog your own memory, if you haven't reformatted your hard drive for a long time, you should find your alts' names and who they've interacted with if you rummage in your AppData folder.

finding Nemo.jpg

sub folders.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


garey Solo wrote:

In other words will my situation with LL affect my partners account?

No, your account will not affect your partner's account in any way.


garey Solo wrote:

 

The reason I ask about alts is that when my restriction goes into place I would like to use one of my alts. I set up alts a long time ago at a different IP address. My old home. Will I be able to log in with them at my current IP  address?

You will be able to login with your alts at your current IP address.

 

 

All accounts are individual accounts whether they are premium ones or free ones. They have nothing to do with each other, except for the possible same IP address.

It's only if one of those same IP address avatar accounts does something wrong (like griefing, etc.) then it could happen that Linden Lab might disable login for all those same IP address accounts until proof is given who are the owners of each account. It once happened to somebody I know. Their account was put on hold as Linden Lab thought that the same person was behing this account as in one other account having done something wrong. A phone call to Linden Lab cleared the matters and this not guilty person was able to login again.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


garey Solo wrote:

..........
I will shortly be having a restriction put on my account
.......
I would like to use one of my alts
.

 

ehm..... a restiction by LL ? in that case it's forbidden to use alts, when they in one way or another find out you'r on another account you can count down till your IP will be blocked, and than your partner will join you in the joy of being blocked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The posts above me seem to be correct on the issue of your new alt - it is against the ToS to circumvent administrative actions taken against your account.

If your partner is affected by the restriction on your account (I can't say either way what will happen, this isn't my place), they would have to chase this issue independently. You cannot do it for them, since LL will never discuss anything except your own account with you (the only exception to this is if you are unable to login to your account).

Your partner - if noticing restrictions on her account - can file a support case for her own account to be released.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


garey Solo wrote:

The main problem is that I will shortly be having a restriction put on my account and I don't want it to affect my partners sl experience.

that sounds a little odd - that you know of a 'restriction' being put on your account in advance...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Ethan Paslong wrote:


garey Solo wrote:

..........
I will shortly be having a restriction put on my account
.......
I would like to use one of my alts
.

 

ehm..... a restiction by LL ? in that case it's forbidden to use alts, when they in one way or another find out you'r on another account you can count down till your IP will be blocked, and than your partner will join you in the joy of being blocked.

If its a restriction caused because the OP knows he won't be able to pay his account fees this time, then although his main (offending) account will be restricted from logging in, his alts, and those of anyone else who uses his house to access SL, won't be affected.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

If its a restriction caused because the OP knows he won't be able to pay his account fees this time, then although his main (offending) account will be restricted from logging in, his alts, and those of anyone else who uses his house to access SL, won't be affected.

 

isn't it a bit strange to know you won't be able to pay for your account upfront?.... tier down or get basic and it's solved... it starts to sound very strange to me....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Ethan Paslong wrote:

 

If its a restriction caused because the OP knows he won't be able to pay his account fees this time, then although his main (offending) account will be restricted from logging in, his alts, and those of anyone else who uses his house to access SL, won't be affected.

 

isn't it a bit strange to know you won't be able to pay for your account upfront?.... tier down or get basic and it's solved... it starts to sound very strange to me....

Well obviously I don't know the true reason behind the OP's enquiry, but I don't think it is at all strange that a person should know up front that his account is likely to become restricted.  I do know of at least one person who occasionally has his main account put on hold when he has, for example, had unexpected real life bills to pay and is having a wee bit of problems shuffling money around. 

Tiering down doesn't work if you're heading into a lean month, because you have to play out the month to feel the benefit, by which time you're already hurtling towards the abyss. There are just times when a person can see a storm coming, but all they can do is batten down the hatches until it passes.

The OP is perhaps just checking that their way of money management won't affect their new house-mate's access to SL.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Ethan Paslong wrote:

 

If its a restriction caused because the OP knows he won't be able to pay his account fees this time, then although his main (offending) account will be restricted from logging in, his alts, and those of anyone else who uses his house to access SL, won't be affected.

 

isn't it a bit strange to know you won't be able to pay for your account upfront?.... tier down or get basic and it's solved... it starts to sound very strange to me....

Not to me.  If you don't have the money to pay your already accumulated tier, you get a certain amount of time (30 days, I believe) in which to pay or you will then get blocked.  So, it's perfectly reasonable for someone to know exactly when they'll be blocked for non-payment.

My advice for the OP is to make sure that you and your partner never use each others' computers to sign into your accounts.  No one really knows how LL connects accounts, but they most certainly do... I know very well from personal experience.

Here's what happened to me: I live with my sister and we both use SL.  At the time, I had a boyfriend in SL and the idiot couldn't correctly adjust a top hat that he wanted to wear for some event we were going to, so he asked me to sign into his account and do it for him.  I did so, even though I knew that I wasn't supposed to.  So, a week later, he got blocked for some reason (supposedly a credit card issue, but who really knows) and when I tried signing in, I found that I was blocked as well.  All it took was me signing onto his account from my computer for our accounts to become linked in LL's eyes.  I had to jump through hoops to prove I was not him in RL... which only took a few days, thankfully.

Now, my sister had recently used my computer to sign one of her alts in, for some reason... so that alt of hers was blocked as well.  But her main account, with which she hadn't used my computer to sign in, was not blocked. In other words, every account that recently used my computer to sign in was blocked and the ones with the same IP, but a different computer, were not... which leads me to believe that LL uses MAC to connect accounts more so than IP.  Of course, that's all just speculation on my part, but it's still a good idea not to use each others' computers to sign in.

...Dres

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Dresden Ceriano wrote:


Ethan Paslong wrote:

 

If its a restriction caused because the OP knows he won't be able to pay his account fees this time, then although his main (offending) account will be restricted from logging in, his alts, and those of anyone else who uses his house to access SL, won't be affected.

 

isn't it a bit strange to know you won't be able to pay for your account upfront?.... tier down or get basic and it's solved... it starts to sound very strange to me....

Not to me.  If you don't have the money to pay your already accumulated tier, you get a certain amount of time (30 days, I believe) in which to pay or you will then get blocked.  So, it's perfectly reasonable for someone to know exactly when they'll be blocked for non-payment.

My advice for the OP is to make sure that you and your partner never use each others' computers to sign into your accounts.  No one really knows how LL connects accounts, but they most certainly do... I know very well from personal experience.

Here's what happened to me: I live with my sister and we both use SL.  At the time, I had a boyfriend in SL and the idiot couldn't correctly adjust a top hat that he wanted to wear for some event we were going to,
so he asked me to sign into his account and do it for him. 
I did so, even though I knew that I wasn't supposed to.
  So, a week later, he got blocked for some reason (supposedly a credit card issue, but who really knows) and when I tried signing in, I found that I was blocked as well.  All it took was me signing onto his account from my computer for our accounts to become linked in LL's eyes.  I had to jump through hoops to prove I was not him in RL... which only took a few days, thankfully.

Now, my sister had recently used my computer to sign one of her alts in, for some reason... so that alt of hers was blocked as well.  But her main account, with which she hadn't used my computer to sign in, was not blocked. In other words, every account that recently used my computer to sign in was blocked and the ones with the same IP, but a different computer, were not... which leads me to believe that LL uses MAC to connect accounts more so than IP.  Of course, that's all just speculation on my part, but it's still a good idea not to use each others' computers to sign in.

...Dres

".... so he asked me to sign into his account and do it for him. I did so, even though I knew that I wasn't supposed to."

There is no prohibition in the TOS against this.

The TOS simply states that you are responsible for all activity in your account and that you can not transfer (give) your account to someone else.   Transferring your account is different than allowing someone access. 

Personally speaking I would be very, very reluctant to ever allow someone access to my account.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Perrie Juran wrote:

".... so he asked me to sign into his account and do it for him. I did so, even though I knew that I wasn't supposed to."

There is no prohibition in the TOS against this.

The TOS simply states that you are responsible for all activity in your account and that you can not
transfer
(give) your account to someone else.  
Transferring your account is different than allowing someone access.
 

Personally speaking I would be very, very reluctant to ever allow someone access to my account.

I don't see it as all that different.  Allowing someone access to your account is the same as transferring it to them for a short period of time... in this case, ten minutes.

But, my point is that I was, in essence, held responsible for what transpired on someone else's account... so regardless of whether or not it's actually prohibited, doing it is simply not a very good idea.

...Dres

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Dresden Ceriano wrote:


Perrie Juran wrote:

".... so he asked me to sign into his account and do it for him. I did so, even though I knew that I wasn't supposed to."

There is no prohibition in the TOS against this.

The TOS simply states that you are responsible for all activity in your account and that you can not
transfer
(give) your account to someone else.  
Transferring your account is different than allowing someone access.
 

Personally speaking I would be very, very reluctant to ever allow someone access to my account.

I don't see it as all that different.  Allowing someone access to your account is the same as transferring it to them for a short period of time... in this case, ten minutes.

But, my point is that I was, in essence, held responsible for what transpired on someone else's account... so regardless of whether or not it's actually prohibited, doing it is simply not a very good idea.

...Dres

I didn't mean to detract from your point which I agree with. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...