Can I stream my own music?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3671 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I know how to set up a stream on the internet (not that I have) but I want to just do it locally, from another server in the house.

I've set up a local stream server on my domain controller in the loft, and can use it through IE and Firefox on my main PC. No problems.

But, when I try to put the (local) stream URL onto my parcel, it just doesn't start and the stream server does not show any connection attempts. I'm using Firestorm if that makes any difference to things. Anyone know why this might not work? Does the audio stream get relayed by SL's servers, rather than being connected directly at the viewer, in which case my local IP address won't work...?

I'm guessing there might also be an issue if others visit my parcel - I don't have enough outgoing bandwidth to support many streams but really I don't care about others being able to hear it. I want to hear it myself, that's all. Plus I won't have broadcast rights! I'm also guessing that since I'm using my private IP address for the stream URL, not my public IP block, that this resolves the outgoing issue since others can't connect to it anyway.

If there's an FAQ for this, I would appreciate a link.

If it's just for personal use, you'll save bandwidth (the most valuable resource in all of SL!) by setting up a LAN media server in your house instead - stream by LAN, keep your Internet link for new data. :) There's various ways of doing this, depending on whether you want proprietary (iTunes, others) or open (Samba, others).

You can't stream from a local IP into SL, since network translation for that IP won't work. Typically applications guard against loading local IPs - it's a security issue. You must also have a compatible stream.

Thanks for the replies. Looks like it isn't going to work unless I put my stream over a public IP then; I'm not going to do that. (Don't want DMCA reporting!)

I might be able to con my Cisco kit into tricking things, but that's more effort that it's worth at the moment.

I'll have to stick to listening to my music from my RL system then. It's a hard life, lol.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3671 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.