Would a lucky door prize be against the Terms of Service rules on gambling?

CatcherRye

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3666 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Would a lucky door prize  be against the Terms of Service rules on gambling?

Patrons would pay and entry fee to see a show. During the show there would be random draws which could be paid in Lindens, gifs or gift vouchers.

I know with gambling people can't pay to enter a game of chance with a cash prize.  In this case they are paying for the show and the prize is a bonus.  Is that OK?

Thanks for any help.

Cat Rye

2 answers to this question

We can't tell you what is legal or not; we are only other citizens.

Reading the gambling policy here: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Policy_Regarding_Wagering_in_Second_Life

It looks like if you ONLY gave out virtual goods (not Lindens) you would be legal. But YOU read and decide.

I do know that there are RFL lotteries that give virtual goods with no issues. So virtual goods, vouchers for services, gift cards etc seem to be OK. Giving out Lindens might get into a gray area. It is all there on that page.

Thanks. I had already read the gambling policy prior to posting the question. It doesn't seem to apply to my situation but as you say there's a potential grey area as there's an element of chance for someone to gain Lindens, even though they are paying for the show. I thought someone out there may have experience of this.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3666 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.