why the lag

Alucard1875

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3645 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ok I went to the trouble and expense of not only buying a computer with a 4gen quad cor I7 procesor with a 2 terabyte running 16gb of ram with a nivida gforce grafics card as well as up grade to thenext fastest internet package just so I could wait through 30 to 45 minutes of server lag for a game to load each time I go to a new area. This is insane. I checked the system requirments and my system is so far above whats needed its unreal. but stil I log in here and what do I get  to deal with. server lag. Like I said I bought the system that I did so I would NOT have to deal with this crap. I should be able to click load and bam there it is ready to play. So when are they going to fix it because it hopefully before I get home from work in 2 days.

What you describe is not server lag, it's network lag. Despite upgrading your internet connection, the problem could still be on your end (you're not using wifi, right? and your router is something reasonable?), but it's more likely that you're trying to download too much stuff all at once, slowing down everything. First, make sure your draw distance is set to something reasonable, like 100m or so (in Me / Preferences / Graphics), then (in Setup) be sure Maximum bandwidth is set to 500 kbps or less.

You might also want to try the "Interesting" RC viewer (currently here) which really speeds up scene loading in my experience. It will not, however, correct a screwed-up configuration, so there may still be other work to do.

[ETA: I forgot to mention that this description of your machine doesn't really tell us much about its performance. I'm sure it's fine, so I'm just nagging, but if you want useful suggestions, it helps to include the configuration information from Help / About Second Life. Just in passing, nVidia makes some quite worthless cards in their "gforce" brand. Also, folks are sometimes surprised to learn that a lower-end i7 processor may run Second Life slower than a less expensive high-end i5; that's because SL viewers aren't all that parallelizable, so four cores is usually more than enough and hyperthreading can't make up for the slight penalty in raw click speed. Again, I'm sure your machine is just fine for SL.]

Depending on which regions you visit, it can take quite some time until everything is fully loaded indeed. If it's fullsims with like 12000 objects on ground level, and say like 35 avatars gathering in one spot of the sim, there are quite a few things to download. Like 10000 texture maps, or more, all the mesh objects, animations, sounds etc etc....

30 to 45 minutes sounds a bit long to me too, but it will never be "click load bam" ready to play.

I would also recommend to try the Interesting RC viewer Qie suggested. It's the viewer that was built to speed up scene loading. At least it tries to load things first near you in your FOV. However, It can't do magic still.

Alucard1875 wrote:

I should be able to click load and bam there it is ready to play.

The thing is that SL is a virtual world that has to be streamed to your computer and rendered on the fly ms to ms not a video game that's installed on your HDD. What you describe sounds like a connection issue. As has been recomended turn down your draw distance and reduce your incoming/download bandwidth to no more than 80% of your "tested" internet connection bandwidth or 1500kbps whichever is lower. And SL is not friendly to wifi so make sure you're connecting to the internet by ethernet cable. Good luck.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3645 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.