I got Disappointed

Merna97

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3614 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello Everybody :)

i'm Merna, 16 years old from Cairo Egypt, i've been in Second Life for about 2 years (Rezz Date 15th of April 2012)

i filled a lot of Applications to get hired but i keep getting the same reply: sorry i can't hire you because you must be +18, they either underestimate my way of thinking because of the age of my body or it's just a job on an adult sim (just night clubs, i didn't apply for a strip dancer or something lol), so guys i'm really disappointed that i can't get a job.

ok i know what you're thinking of now: "a 16 years old? and she can go on moderate and adult sims? how could this be? she must have lied about her age!", lol actually no, when i joined, it was ok to set my search settings to adult (don't misunderstand me my Avi is a Virgin XD)

so...i'm a fast learner, an honest person (that's what's keeping me not getting accepted for jobs XD), friendly, i can stay online on Second Life from 8 AM to 3 PM Second Life Time, and i'm a Metalhead, also i'm a reliable person.

looking forward to be a dancer/model (if good enough)/greeter or just anything, just being accepted as a 16 years old Girl, i'm not gonna lie about my age, also i'm not saying that i'm trying to be an adult and not live my age i'm just saying that i'm not a kid...as many people, i had a hard life which taught me much and i'm still learning, we all keep learning till death :)

Merna

Merna

Those are some photos of my Avatar :)

so please if you got a job for me or know someone who can hire me, IM me

Thanks a lot :)

Merna

You are absolutely incorrect when you say that it was "ok" to set your search to adult two years ago when you created your av.  I have a young family member who created an account around the same time as you and the ONLY way to get the "age verification" that was needed (aka the little button at the time that said "I agree that I am 18 years of age) was to have a birthdate on file that allowed the button  to exist.  Since she was not 18 at the time, and her birthdate indicated that, she could not age verify.  So, you did lie about your age when creating the account. The button to age verify would not have been available to you if you had put in your actual birthdate. (this may or may not continue to be the case right now, I do not know, but I do know it was the case when you, and my family member, created your accounts). If you are 16 now, you were 14 when you made your av...so you wouldn't have even been able to get to moderate sims at that time, either, without lying about your rl age. It is never wise to start off on the wrong foot, you may trip.

(this is direct from the TOS, but you can find it yourself here, looking specifically to section 3, and you can also check maturity ratings from there...http://lindenlab.com/tos)

'

3.3 Second Life Age Verification for Moderate and Adult Only.

In order to access Second Life regions or listings designated as “Moderate” or "Adult Only" Content (which Content may be explicitly sexual, intensely violent or otherwise designated as Adult under our Maturity Ratings ("Adult Only Content"), you affirm that you are at least eighteen (18) years of age, or the age of legal majority where you reside if that jurisdiction has an older age of majority. You further agree that as a condition to accessing Moderate and/or Adult Only Second Life, you will submit to account verification as required by Linden, and provide only true and accurate identification documentation to Linden or its third party service providers to verify your age. You further acknowledge that you will comply with our Maturity Ratings, and conduct any activities we have defined as Moderate and/or Adult only within regions designated as Moderate and/or Adult."

Although at 16 you believe you have lived a hard life(and I don't doubt this one bit) and you may be mature for your age, you are indeed, still a child.  This is going to make it very difficult for you to get a job in many places.  If you really want a job, stay clear of the adult sims, regardless as to whether or not sexual content exists there, you are not likely to find anyone willing to hire you and you should NOT be there in the first place.  It is just not a risk most will be willing to take on an adult sim(understandably so).  Go to places on general sims and you are more likely to find people willing to hire you.  However, be prepared to get shot down a lot.  A lot of people do not want a "kid" working for them, and you need to understand this.  They do not know you from any other joe shmoe and you are not likely the first person that has said " I may be young, but I am not a child...." and given reasons as to why.  These people have no reason, or even way, to distinguish you from anyone else who has said the same things.  Personally, I would always err on the side of caution when dealing with minors, regardless of how grown up they believe they truly are.  It is always the most wise move.

That doesn't mean minors cannot get jobs in sl. It simply means you're going to have to look  to places that actually welcome them in the first place. It's going to take some leg work on your part, but it is not impossible.  My family member got a job in sl working as a model in a kid's store, initially, actually. When that place closed down I believe she worked on an rp sim for a short stint, doing events for families.  She moved on to creating things in sl, although now she has left for bigger and better things in rl, lol.

Well, your way was too Sharp for me, but thanks, just believe me i didn't lie about my age i'm telling you what happened why would i lie? i would simply say it, also if i lied about my age i would've lied to people who i gave applications to, thanks anyway.

Merna97 wrote:

Well, your way was too Sharp for me, but thanks, just believe me i didn't lie about my age i'm telling you what happened why would i lie? i would simply say it, also if i lied about my age i would've lied to people who i gave applications to, thanks anyway.

Tari has given such a full and well-considered post in response to your own, there isn't much to add, except I hope your request has led to one or two people contacting you inworld to offer you some kind of suitable employment.

The thing is, as someone old enough to be your mother/grandmother in real life - as many of us in Second Life are - I am really wondering why you would be so keen to be looking for employment in a virtual world, when you should be out there, feeling the sun and rain on your face, mixing with the 3D people, and you're offering your services for up to five hours a day potentially - I find that quite shocking.

i knew that this is what's gonna be said to me, but Tari was so sharp saying that i lied about my age that's it though i mentioned that i didn't, also i didn't get any ims, yup nobody wants a "kid", i'm already disappointed so i don't care, i'm enjoying second life much that's it, and i think it's my own decision to work or just keep going with avis here and there and role playing, and i'm just saying the times i'm available on second life at, thanks a lot :)

Its hard to be a 16 year old person... not a kid anymore but also not grown enough to be considered an adult. And as someone already said, its sad to see a young person disappointed because she can't get a job as a greeter in a virtual world! Do you know what means to be a greeter here? Why its so attractive for you to burry yourself in a virtual world and feel you are "working"? So important that you felt the need to come here and complain after many failed tries to get a job.... 

I wouldn't hire you because of a few reasons....

most important is that in real life I am 33 years old and people I hire work closely with me, this means we become friends and get to spend a lot of time together. I like young people, I even date younger guys but I wouldn't feel comfortable relying on someone who is THAT young!, basically twice younger than I am, or spend my time with a kid. No matter your experience I consider the age difference too big.

Then its your look; basically you used this post to represent yourself and the photos you chosed show avatar with a look that was popular many years back. This is 2014. we have mesh clothing and mesh body parts for a while now, our avatars look 10 times better now, you want to work as a greeter and this also means first contact with the potential clients and I can't let an outdated avatar represents my business. 

Finally we have your attitude and explanations of the age. Age is a sensitive thing in SL and 2012. was not that far! I created my account in 2010. and I am pretty aware of all that needed to be done then and after it to be able to enter adult sims. You saying that you didn't lie about your age means nothing.

Even if you are, as you say "not trying to be an adult" then why the f you try to get a job in clubs that are adult or even moderate? 

Finally, mentioning that your avi is a virgin made you sink waaay to low on a "potential employees" chart. 

it's ok i'm not thinking about being hired anymore, as for my avatar...well from where would i get the money for better clothes lol, and anyway in the 1st photo, this shirt is my own design just cause i don't find a lot of Metal Shirts in the price range i want :) yeah you are right i shouldn't get myself sunken inside a virtual world, and saying that my avi is a virgin, well i just meant that sexual activity is not what made me access to adult destinations :) thanks a lot Tamara, and it's ok i know i'm too young i just said that i'm not a kid, and also said that i'm not trying to be an adult it's a money thing lol, i'll just proceed the ways i used to get some lindens :) thanks again ^^

Merna97 wrote:

i knew that this is what's gonna be said to me, but Tari was so sharp saying that i lied about my age that's it though i mentioned that i didn't, also i didn't get any ims, yup nobody wants a "kid", i'm already disappointed so i don't care, i'm enjoying second life much that's it, and i think it's my own decision to work or just keep going with avis here and there and role playing, and i'm just saying the times i'm available on second life at, thanks a lot
:)

I said you lied, because you did. There was no way for you to age verify , which is the button you have to click to allow yourself to get to adult rated sims, without having a birthdate that indicates you were 18 at the time.  I do know this, for a fact.  Although the age verification process is as simple as clicking a button, you did need to have a proper birthdate in there for the button to exist in the first place. The TOS also tells you, adult sims are *not* somewhere you are allowed to be.

I am glad you're enjoying sl, that is a very good thing.  I am sure there are people out there who will, and who do, hire minors. It's just going to take work on your part to find them, which in the end may not be worth it for you.  Who knows maybe while out and about enjoying sl, you'll find some employment.

• 1 month later...

I may not have been in SL that long but I don't ever remember having to do an age verification to get on adult sims. If you are interested I will hire you. I have a moderate sim that needs traffic and people looking to rent shops. I need someone who will get the word out about it so to say. Just im me in world I am on practically all the time due to me being on mobile. We can hash out a weekly salary then. I should be off RL work in a few hours and am on all day wednesday, saturday, and sunday.

Syn VoSarin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3614 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.