High Fidelity Goes Vinyl

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3649 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

In a press release today, High Fidelity CEO Philip Rosedale announced that the company's virtual world simulator will be released on a trucked set of vinyl LPs. The program's 4.2 gigabyte bitstream has been encoded using 300 bit per second Kansas City Standard. The nearly 2.6 million minute amelodic release fits neatly on 43,000 12 inch 33.3RPM platters. "We thought it only natural that Hi-Fi be Hi-Fi" said Rosedale.

A release date has not yet been set. Beta testers, armed with 78RPM record changers, are expected to complete their first wave of testing in March of 2019, mere hours after finishing the download.

When asked "What next?", Rosedale revealed plans for Hi-Fi-3D, which will be released in stereo.

Coby Foden wrote:

Phew... it was great that I didn't throw away my LP record player. It is still sitting boxed near my computer. Now I just have to start searching for a record changer for it.

... going to ebay... :matte-motes-big-grin:

Coby, you only need the changer if you've got better things to do with your life for the next five years. Just set the turntable next to your computer and flip discs while you're in-world. I can see it now...

"Coby Foden:brb, flipping platters, only 42,999 to go."

Hah. You jest, but in fact 8-track lives! A British farmer had an 8-track DVR and recorded four or five years worth of Alistair Cooke's 'Letter From America'. They were cleaning out the barn and found a box packed with the tapes (he'd forgotten he kept them, apparently). Restoration is under way.

Story here, if you're interested. http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-26692193

ETA: I originally thought maybe it was just something that was used only in Europe or the UK, but the more I thought about 8-track DVR the more I thought that couldn't be right. It's not. I went back and looked. He recorded the audio. Still, it is a good story.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3649 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.