Venting about security systems.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3665 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I use a 0 second instant security orb. But it is bound to inside the walls of a building that has locked doors. You have to teleport in. I see no problem with no warning on such a setup.

I have had people rez on top of my head before, they get zapped before the system even starts to download a texture for them (because my land is on Zindra, people make odd assumptions about any green dot they see on the map).

I'd route teleporting to just one spot on the land outside the building, but this creates greater inconvenience for those moving through the majority of my land which is publicly open.

The alternative to 0-warning orbs inside of walls is seeing a MASSIVE uptake in the number of banlines present in SL. 

I also see no problem with orbs in locations not typical of flying. You can pretty much be sure there will be private skyboxes all over the place above 2000m. And the greatest odds for them are at divisions of 100, but that becomes less prediectable the more crowded an area gets. Even under 2000m though, its pretty common to see things at 500m, 1000m and 1500m.

As noted just above me, 200m used to also be ideal, because that was the old cloud system height. My first public venue was a little place I called Cloud Cafe - set at 200m above my lot because that meant it was in a permanent fog. The older the builds in an area get, the more likely you'll find things near that height.

I would never put an orb in an open space below 500m. In fact I would personally never put an orb in an open space...

But SL was not built as an open flight simulator - but as a 3d 'my space' (as opposed to myspace). So the priorities go to the people who own assorted spaces...

If you want to fly all over SL, either take it slow, or start learning what the common heights of builds are - and avoiding those heights.

Since we've been able to up to build up to 4096m, we (I) do tend to put things up in 500m intervals, as Pussycat said. I always place anything of mine at those levells. If someone is using the level nearby, I'll go up or down 500m or 1000m. I don't tend to look at levels in between unless those levels are all in nearby use, which is very rare these days.

Perrie Juran wrote:

But is there really such a thing as "common heights" for builds?

Yes. In a de-facto sense. Just wander the grid. People like large whole numbers. So many builds seem to be found at divisions of 1000, commonly 500, and often 100. Much rarer is finding builds at divisions of 73.26.

This is not an organized thing. Just an organic result of human nature. I've also noticed that in sims with a lot of long time residents, trends evolve where the members start 'staking out' a height, and the others pick their own heights to either be away or be together - depending. Like you might find a lot of people have stacked build platforms in the same general height, along with the "I'll just move this item up and out of the way until I decide what to do with it" junk. On my own sim, 4000+m is cluttered with people's random half built junk, and build platforms.

Lower down, people often look for the 'unused spot' for that private skybox, and the large whole number division mentality results from a desire to not see somebody else's junk while sitting in your own junk (or not have them seeing yours).

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3665 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.