It's a Big Scary World in Second Life

ArtieMacnar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3673 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So let me just start off saying that I am "new", but at the same time, I'm not really "new".

I've been familiar with Second Life for well over a few years now, but I've always found it to be incredibly overwhelming to get involved with the SL community and try to make the most of what this thing can offer.

I have no real friends who to ask and talk to about using Second Life. I just really don't know where to begin in terms of working, playing, and interacting with people. Sure, I know how to move around in the world, travel to locations, and all of that technical stuff, but trying to get stuff out of the system? I'm lost.

Where do I begin to talk and meet with people? How do I present myself? What do I need to do in order to not make myself a burden on the community?

If people can help me out, I'll appreciate it.

It's the oldest cliche in the book but just be yourself. London is a great place to find a lot of people. Say hello in general chat and don't be afraid to send people messages or join in with pre-existing conversations. You sound like a very concientious person so I'm sure you own't be a burden.  

ArtieMacnar wrote: [...] 
What do I need to do in order to not make myself a burden on the community?

If you go too far with that kind of thinking, know that the only sure way to avoid being such a burden is to leave the community altogether. Because someone, somewhere, will always have a problem with something about who you are, what you do and/or what you say.

In other words: understand that there will always be complainers, drama queens and prissy people, and there's no way you'll be able to please them all. Therefore, don't feel too bound by others' expectations and, as a previous answer said, be yourself. If nothing else, you'll feel more free this way.

bbnny8 wrote:

You should try joining the roleplay sims. Roleplaying can be really fun and it's a great way to meet people. 

That's what I was thinking of doing. I know for a fact that I belong in the "furry camp" of things, so there's plenty of options out there for roleplay.

My big concern though is finding the right areas with a decent amount of activity and a crowd that tends to be rather laid back about things.

Ren Toxx wrote:

ArtieMacnar wrote: [...] 
What do I need to do in order to not make myself a burden on the community?

If you go too far with that kind of thinking, know that the only sure way to avoid being such a burden is to 
leave
the community altogether. Because someone, somewhere, will 
always
have a problem with something about who you are, what you do and/or what you say.

In other words: understand that there will always be complainers, drama queens and prissy people, and there's no way you'll be able to please them all. Therefore, don't feel too bound by others' expectations and, as a previous answer said, be yourself. If nothing else, you'll feel more free this way.

This is true. It's just that I tend to worry because of the fact that I'm very open-ended on a variety of things. I'm involved a large variety of fandoms, interests, and topics, and for some people, that's just too much to handle.

Perhaps what I should do is try to find some others with my similar interests, but I really don't know where to begin since SL is such a large and diverse collection of communities.

you coiuld try giving parts of yourself in small bits, for example, if you are interested in the furry lifestyle you can meet some people that are attracted to that type of self and focus on that topic, maybe some furries will not be attracted to famdom, so dont talk about that topic with them if they are not interested, the famdom topic you can talk to people who are interested in it but they are not interested in the furry lifestyle.

we cant expect friends to match every single aspect of our life, political views, taste in food, literature preferences, dont exepct that for someone to have a relationship with you they have to match you in everything, with a few things that match its ok, you can have an interesting conmversation with someone about that single topic that you both are interested, and with another friend, another topic that you both would match.

maybe you can have a different friend for every interest that you have. you could find each one of them going to the communities that support that.

about finding places that have more concurrency, using the search engine of the viewer, after you select to only display places, you can order the results by number of people that visit that place.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3673 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.