Spying by Landlord?

Nikilei

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3653 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I didn't give the background to this but basically there was a language communication error and she just stopped with out converation. I think she thought I was leaving the land but in acutality I had just paid the month's rent. She also tried getting onto the land and I had to put her name on my security orb but by the time this was done; she wasn't replying anymore in our chat. Still hasn't.  

Privacy issues?? No, I guess you can't expect it in SL but after what we go through in RL, it's easy to get a bit touchy about it and no, I am not doing anything anyone would be the slightest bit interested in; which is a real shame :matte-motes-not-entertained:!!!!

My landmap said there are two people on the land I am renting. I found my landlady on the very edge of my island just sitting underneath the water. I don't even think it is a real avatar but she won't answer me back when I ask her about this. I feel like there is a lack of privacy here; just don't feel comfortable with it. I unfortunately just paid for my months rent so I can't leave yet. But, what exactly is she doing?

Thank you

6 answers to this question

She is probably AFK...Away from Keyboard. 

Some landlords stay logged in for hours at a time, just to be available in case their tenants need something.  During that time, they may do lots of other things on their computer, or within SL...inventory maintenance, IMs with friends, etc.

If her avatar is within chat range, you can keep her from "hearing" your conversations with others by using IM instead of local chat.

If you want to see if her camera is focused on you, you can do that with "Show Look At"...but be aware that this is not a very reliable indicator.  There are many reasons her camera crosshairs might appear to be near you that have nothing to do with "spying."

But the most important thing to remember is that there is no true privacy in SL.  People can tell when you are on line.  They can overhear your local chat, sometimes from a long distance away, by various means.  They can move their cameras inside your house and look at you.  Just remember that your avatar isn't "you," it's just a bunch of pixels.  Why should you care?

There are things you can do to increase your privacy, but none of them are perfect, short of buying your own region, unconnected with any other region, and limiting access.

But again, why should you care?  Are you doing something you don't want others to know about?  Tsk, tsk!  :smileyvery-happy:

• Like 2

Logged in and probably AFK waiting for messages from tenants. She is probably at coordinates <0,0,0> and 20m under water where the flotsam & jetsam from the region gather. I have to clean up this corner from time to time myself.

The land lady can also be a scripted agent [bot] that the leasing software chats with on a private channel.

Wow don't be paranoid, I login and hang about the islands that I lease parcels out on as well. Contact the leasing agency using the contact information in the Covenant is this is an issue for you.

• Like 2

Privacy is highly overrated, IMO, but if you want to discourage casual snooping, just make the appropriate settings in About Land >>> Options and Sounds to restrict chat and voice to your parcel, and to prevent anyone outside the parcel from being able to cam in.  

• Like 2

I should have given the background to this since it all came about over a misunderstood comment; language barrier; and the conversation we had been having; she just immediately stopped replying when she misunderstood that I wasn't going to leave the land and had just paid the rent; bizarre

Oh my interesting. When using translators, keep the sentences simple and on a single subject. But was she asking "if" you were going to leave? Still the logged in status for the account that manages the parcels is not unusual. The all of a sudden not responding is. :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3653 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.