How do I file a complaint with the Lindens?

Seeker Genira

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2876 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have a daughter who is also in SL.  Her husband passed away in 2010.  He SL name was Greg Merryman and he was a builder in Babbage in SL.  At the time he passed away, my daughter and he were separated with divorce pending.  

A builder and friend of Greg's by the name of Kandy Orabelle or Kandance Commons, who I believe is actually a male, built a lighthouse as a memorial to my son in law.  It is called Merryman Memorial Lighthouse, and is located in Babbage.  I am fine with the memorial.  My concern is this...he/she took pictures from my son-in-laws Facebook page and posted the RL pictures in the SL Memorial.  There is one picture of Greg and one of him and his minor daughter posted there.  

My point is...the memorial is ok, I am not asking that it be taken down...but any pictures should be SL pictures of Greg Merryman, and not his RL pictures. And, my minor granddaughter's picture should not be there at all.  

My daughter has asked that the photos be removed, but the builder, Mr/Ms Commons, blames her for Greg's death and will not talk to her at all.  I am prepared to contact an attorney if necessary.  Can you help?

7 answers to this question

Welcome to Second Life Answers, Seeker.

Generally speaking, Linden Lab will not get involved with what they see as resident to resident disputes, and they may well see this as exactly that.

Also, anything that is taken from a Facebook page - ie photos - is there for people to view, and therefore, it is not unusual for people to think it is ok to use such material.

I am sorry that I sound rather brutal, BUT while it is unlikely that Linden Lab would get involved with this, you CAN submit an abuse report when you are next logged in, showing a screenshot of the photos you wish to be taken down, with a brief explanation. You CAN also submit a support ticket directly to Linden Lab (click on the "help" option at the top of this screen and then read the menu on the right hand side of the next screen to find option for "submit ticket"), and you CAN send a letter via snail mail to Linden Lab at their head office in Battery Street.

What will help you get the photos removed is if you can prove the photographs that are being used are a copyright infringement, and also if this is the case, you can also bring an attorney in.

I am truly sorry for your upset.  Obviously I do not know - and we do not need to know here on the very public Second Life forums - the full circumstances, although, to me, unless someone was always ok with people in Second Life knowing their real life identity, I always think it is very odd to have real life photos in a virtual world.

Other advice may follow. Please keep checking back here. And I wish you luck.

Edited to add: I think it is totally wrong to have the photo of the granddaughter brought into Second Life - I would actually make that my main complaint to Second Life via an inworld abuse report. That is a total breach of a real life child's privacy, and could have consequences.

• Like 3

Marigold's answer is excellent.  I should add that she and all the rest of us in Answers are SL residents, not Lindens.  Lindens never come to this site and, as far as we can tell, never even read what's here.  As residents, we do not have any power to look into your situation, nor do we have any way to bring it to Linden Lab's attention other than to offer you suggestions, as Marigold has.

I agree that Marigold's edit is pertinent.  Revealing Real Life information without the person's consent is against the Second Life Terms of Service.

An Abuse report against the objects and their creator should produce results.

Please remove the name of the person you're complaining about by editing your original post.  "Naming names" is against forum policy and could get YOU suspended.

You might also discuss this with the estate owner of the Caledon regions, Desmond Shang.  He may be able to do something for you.

• Like 2

I'm wondering about the Intellectual Property implications of all this.

While I know next to nothing about US IP law, it seems to me that the copyright in the photographs must belong to someone.   If they were taken by your late son-in-law, it will have formed part of his estate and probably now belongs to his widow, your daughter.    That being the case, she (or the current copyright holder) might try filing a DMCA take-down notice, following the procedure described here.   

That seems to me potentially the quickest and simplest way of resolving the matter.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2876 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.