Sign in to follow this  
Chimiere

Unfair Termination?

Question

I'm sorry this has happened to a friend of yours.  You (and she) need to keep a few things in mind.

1.  There is nothing YOU can do about this (other than commiserate with your friend.)  Anything that is done, your friend will have to do herself.

2.  She might actually be guilty.  Sure, she is your friend, and you believe her side of the story.  But you have no way to KNOW the details, only what she tells you.

3.  Linden Lab doesn't often terminate accounts, and NEVER without a good reason.  They WANT customers, and don't lightly cut one off.  Terminating her account AND all of her alts indicates that something very serious went on.  However, they HAVE been known to make mistakes.

4.  One possible reason for a "mistake" is that your friend allowed her account to be compromised, perhaps by entering her name and password on a "phishing" site.  In this case, someone stole her account, and apparently used it to commit very serious TOS violations.  Your friend can appeal LL's decision and ask them to investigate further.  She must bear in mind that according to the TOS, she is responsible for what is done with her account.  If LL decides to enforce that, she has no recourse, even if she was the victim of an account thief.

5.  Another possible reason for a mistake is that your friend's IP address got misidentified as a griefer's IP address, and was unfairly banned.

EDITED TO ADD:  I googled your friend's name and found a link to her Marketplace store.  Although it contains only two items, I noticed at least two intellectual property violations.  In one case, the store's name includes the name of a major RL department store chain.  Also, one of her items displays an image and name belonging to the Pokemon franchise.  If this is an indication of her attitude toward others' property, it might also be a clue as to why she was banned.

• Like 3

11 answers to this question

I'm sorry this has happened to a friend of yours.  You (and she) need to keep a few things in mind.

1.  There is nothing YOU can do about this (other than commiserate with your friend.)  Anything that is done, your friend will have to do herself.

2.  She might actually be guilty.  Sure, she is your friend, and you believe her side of the story.  But you have no way to KNOW the details, only what she tells you.

3.  Linden Lab doesn't often terminate accounts, and NEVER without a good reason.  They WANT customers, and don't lightly cut one off.  Terminating her account AND all of her alts indicates that something very serious went on.  However, they HAVE been known to make mistakes.

4.  One possible reason for a "mistake" is that your friend allowed her account to be compromised, perhaps by entering her name and password on a "phishing" site.  In this case, someone stole her account, and apparently used it to commit very serious TOS violations.  Your friend can appeal LL's decision and ask them to investigate further.  She must bear in mind that according to the TOS, she is responsible for what is done with her account.  If LL decides to enforce that, she has no recourse, even if she was the victim of an account thief.

5.  Another possible reason for a mistake is that your friend's IP address got misidentified as a griefer's IP address, and was unfairly banned.

EDITED TO ADD:  I googled your friend's name and found a link to her Marketplace store.  Although it contains only two items, I noticed at least two intellectual property violations.  In one case, the store's name includes the name of a major RL department store chain.  Also, one of her items displays an image and name belonging to the Pokemon franchise.  If this is an indication of her attitude toward others' property, it might also be a clue as to why she was banned.

• Like 3

In repsonse to Lindal Kidd;

She actually is trying to understand what is going on, I'm just asking questions to try and make sense of it while she attempts to clear up this mess.

And maybe she is guilty, but it'd be best if LL actually stated what she was guilty for.

She also may have done that (that being accidentally phished, though i doubt it), but let me ask you this. Why would somebody, who has spent hundreds, if not thousands of dollars on Lindens, and has a collection of avatars, and buildings, vehicles, texture mods, sculpts, etc etc, knowingly risk all that?

Her avatars are her babies, and she's been teaching herself scripting, and sculpting, and wanted to build her own avatars. Why would she deliberately do something SO terrible, that her account and alts would be terminated?

Aside from what I found via a Google search (see my edit to my original post), I really can't comment further, not having any further data. Anything I say at this point would merely be speculation. I'll reiterate my earlier comment...she's going to have to take it up with LL herself. I know that can be horribly frustrating!

• Like 1

Though, I am curious.. that has been up for a very long time, and Sears is just a play on spelling of her name? Why would it only effect her now?

And there's a bunch of other market place stores where there's pictures of pokemon and such.

And another thing to add, I could link you all these products of pikachu and other pokemon, even with images from the show, where the sellers do not claim that they do not own Pikachu or pokemon, but yet they seem fine. Also how that product was added to the market place almost, if not, more than a year ago, how would it only take effect now, of all times? I'm just really confused by this whole ordeal..

Did your friend not receive an email indicating that her account was terminated?  As I understand it, LL normally email people when they suspend or terminate an account, and give a brief explanation of why they're doing it.

Ask her to check in her spam filter to see if there's anything there.

• Like 1

No, she did not receive an email, nor did she get an explanation. The only emails in her junk form Second Life, are group notices.

She attempted resetting her password, and was having troubles so ticketed LL, and their response to her ticket was that her account was terminated. She asked why, and they said that the account is permanently terminated and not eligible for release, still not answering her question of what she did,

So basically, no warning, no email, only a response to a ticket saying her account violated Second Life's ToS, but no clarification on what ToS was broken.

The same thing happened to me not too long ago. Someone hacked my paypal and because paypal stopped all forms of transactions and returned all previously bought monies, LL banned me. It's for lack of better words, bull**bleep**, and I consider is stealing since they did not explain what I did wrong, even though it's written in their Terms of Service that they would. All they said was that I broke the ToS but did not tell me what exactly I did. I invested a ton of money in it, and I'm actually working on bringing my case to court for slander and larceny. I had never had previous bad brush ins with LL before, and all because of someone hacking my Paypal which isn't LL itself I get banned. This really shows that LL doesn't really care about the people who play, only those who pay a decent amount. I'm sorry to hear your friend was once another victim of the sly exploits LL will do.

Hello, my sole purpose for creating an account is this, I've read the terms and services clearly and there is no:
"We'll contact you if your account is terminatied" anywhere on there, or any verification of it.

You might want to update that, if you want to go boasting about "Contacting if we terminate your account"
Not be a little sneak and do it in secret, making a person cry, because the first thing they wake up to, is their account gone.
Bringing them to tears

Someone who has remained Loyal and spent hundreds of dollars over the
years to make your service a better community, and you go and terminate them.

Least you can do is give an actual warning and an actual reason.
What you did was say "Thanks for your money" and blocked her.
Like a horrible friend, that is un-called for and is technically sueable.

I know my post means jack squat, because you're going to be selfish,
but I hope you know what you did was rude.

Also, if you trully cared about people reading the terms and services, try not making it so blasted Long, not make it 10 pages

(Yes, I counted) and expect people not to get bored while doing so. Read it for the sole purpose of trying to understand this.
And in all honesty, it confused me more than it helped.

Oh, and if you ban me, I don't give a rats butthole. I didn't even downloads the game.

I simply made this account so I could make you guys see reason.

And banning me will just prove me right, that you did it for no reason and so you could theif out her cashing.

this has been happening a lot but no matter what is the reason LL should tell and specify the reason or what was done wrong if they really investigated  cause sometimes people do things to other residents and then they report them and the inocent person end up with account hold but still LL does not specify the violation . and I have feeling some LL employee do it in racisim way or when they see a person has lots of lindens in their avatar they want to have I had lots of friend who play gambling and won a lot and when they have lots of lindens in their account they get banned and still same reason violation but what is the violation they dont know I honeslty find it unfair and recently lots were had their account on hold  and they are about 30 ppl in world and will all hire lawyers and take this thing to court  I am one of them I had an alt avatar where i keep my lindens so no one hacks me and I did tell LL this is my alt yes I get gifts and I win in gambling and yes I had lots of lindens in my avatar butI never use this avatar for chating nor in world so what is the violation I have done ?????????? if no one knows the alt of mine and when they saw it has lindens in it they had it on hold and today I am talking to my lawyer and my friends are too and we will take it to law cause this is have been happening a lot and we need to know why this is happening . plus I like to tell LL that most are sim owners or they spend more then they get in world if we all agree to leave sl cause it is not fair to certain nationality or race LL will be loosing a lot and I am willing to prove this to LL . the problem is when u try to talk on the phone with anyone they say we have nothing to do with this and we are billing dep. ok we have to have someone to explain the situation and have an answer at the same moment I feel that I am treated unfair and lots are too some ppl are not even talking cause they dont speak english but we have had it and got to the limit and I guess the court will give us our rights back sorry if i am very harch in my words but honeslty if you have anyone in world listen to how those ppl loose avatar that have been working on for years and years in seconds they loose friends sim attached to that avatar and have to start all over again and again and when they ask for anotherchance and to be pardoned if they done anythig wrong LL doesn't feel with those ppl I mean ppl make mistakes maybe but dont know it is mistake either specify so they will not do again or forgive them .   if there is anyone can talk to me in world or reply back from LL cause ppl are frusturated and about more then 1000 residents willing to leave SL and those are in about 4 to 5 sims and groups who would listen to them ????????????

regarding my avatar I had a well known person who does business with LL send them email to tell them we do business together and I own a sim and have gambling machines in that sim and that alt is not new but an alt I keep my lindens in a safe place LL did not even care they just took the lindens the avi and call it violation is doing business in world violation ???? or making lots of lindens violation ??????? I work on sl cause i am not able to work in RL i am disabled to do so mother of kids and I feel that i am living while i am doing something even in 3d program better then nothing at least so I am asking again to please have some mercy cause I will tell my lawyer about it even if it costs me a lot I want to know what is my violation and that is my right i guess specify it and ppl learn from mistakes if there are any