Sign in to follow this  
Brodi3

Best way to texture mesh?

Hi,

So far I have made the mesh in MD, imported it to Blender for sizing and finishing and now I need to texture the garment. I'm finding blender really difficult for this stage, I can't seem to get the texture map to go over an image well enough that it doesn't make the quality blurry at the top and then spread out near the bottom.

Can't anyone help?

I think my mapping is off, the dress I made has been amped into a circle with a lot of the map in the middle then fading out, this is why my texture goes from blurry to clear, but is there a way to remedy this?

Google UV unwrapping tutorials. Its easiest to unwrap quads, I believe MD gives tris so you might consider retopoing the model as well. Quads also rig much much better. What's helpful about making things in MD is that you can see the natural seams of the clothing since that's how its formed. Once made into quads you can almost use these as an exact reference to get a nice even unwrap of your object.

Hi

Before Unwrapping to create a UV map did you add any Seams to your dress mesh ?

Also in the UV Editor window you will probably need to edit the UV's to reduce stretching to a minimum but at the same time use as much of the available space as possible.

Sometimes its necessary to spend more time editing a UV map than was spent in creating the actual mesh.

Best is you use Google to do a search for:  Blender UV unwrapping

A good place to start would be this video :

http://cgcookie.com/blender/2011/01/21/intro_uvmapping/

They already gave yo the right hints. Retopology and UV map ( also known as skinning or unwrapping in google).

For blender there are a few tips that you may get from this tutorial made by Medhue

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Mesh/How-to-UV-Unwrap-in-Blender/td-p/2499803

Also if you want to get a quick knowledge of what is UW mapping in blender you could check in this free  book for blender page 75

Those examples would explain you how to deal with triangulated mesh, but it's always always better to have a good topology (for both Uvmapping and rigging)

In case you'd decide to not retopology your mesh as long as you could deal with the unwrapping then the  easy way to texture such kind of mesh would be to use seamless textures to make a pattern to apply later in photoshop over the uv map area and maybe later using tools to adjust eventual troublesome areas.

Brodi3 wrote:

I think my mapping is off, the dress I made has been amped into a circle with a lot of the map in the middle then fading out, this is why my texture goes from blurry to clear, but is there a way to remedy this?

We probably need to see the mapping to give you good advice. Blender is actually a very good tool for texturing a mesh, but you kind of need to understand it fully. MD should create a usable UV map, but I have not seen everything made with MD, so I can't say for sure if your's is good. I rig clothing for a number of designers and they all use MD. I frequently have to adjust UV maps, as they aren't that well optimized by MD, but I've never had to completely redo the mapping. Generally, I just reoptimize the mapping for the designers as just an extra thing that I do for them, and because I usually do all the different sizes for the clothing too.

Agreed blender has a lot of tools.

As many other programs It also has modifiers that are an important chapter that would allow you to do the clothes using the same workflow that you actually follow in  marvelous designer

This would let them get clothes as easy as in marvelous designer but still with a nice topology

few magic touches with sblender edit sculpt tools after this and the dress is ready

Hi guys thanks for posts, I managed to texture the garment I have made however upon uploading it to sl the texture hasn't come with it?

I have followed the Online tutorials but nothing seems to work. I'm sure I have textured correctly. I have ticked SL Static sim?

Any help, any available for a voice call who could maybe talk me through it, discussing over keyboard is sometimes difficult

How do I reference the textures for SL upload to find them? It's like I'm doing textures but they aren't saving or actually going onto the mesh?