Facebook to Buy Oculus VR

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3673 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

LaskyaClaren wrote:

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

I believe I recently opined that Oculus Rift wouldn't go anywhere.

Oops!

Maybe the real question is . . . is Facebook going anywhere?

I'm still sceptical about OR.

I wonder about Facebook as well. My experience with VR headsets left me appreciating the windshield of my car, even in the rain with bad wipers.

That said, being big helps, until you're too big.

LaskyaClaren wrote:

Oops!

I wonder about Facebook as well. My experience with VR headsets left me appreciating the windshield of my car, even in the rain with bad wipers.

That said, being big helps.

It does. But it certainly seems a very odd fit.

I think, actually, that the impact of this may be bigger on High Fidelity than it is on Second Life.

LaskyaClaren wrote:

LaskyaClaren wrote:

Oops!

I think, actually, that the impact of this may be bigger on High Fidelity than it is on Second Life.

It is curious that Zuckerberg mentions Oculus as being something akin to the wave after mobile. Now I'm thinking of the wave at stadiums, where we all get up and move for a second before sitting back down.

And remember that Yahoo recently absorbed the Cloud Party team. Maybe something is afoot?

LaskyaClaren wrote:

LaskyaClaren wrote:

Oops!

It is curious that Zuckerberg mentions Oculus as being something akin to the wave
after
mobile. Now I'm thinking of the wave at stadiums, where we all get up and move for a second before sitting back down.

And remember that Yahoo recently absorbed the Cloud Party team. Maybe something is afoot?

Yay! A Silicon Valley Conspiracy theory!!!

This'll keep this place buzzing for DAYS!

LaskyaClaren wrote:

LaskyaClaren wrote:

Oops!

It is curious that Zuckerberg mentions Oculus as being something akin to the wave
after
mobile. Now I'm thinking of the wave at stadiums, where we all get up and move for a second before sitting back down.

Well, it's all about Market Share and control of the Market.

A plus side of this for OR is they wont be lacking, at least for now, in money for R&D.

The down side is that it could just get tossed to the side if there is no ROI.

I used to say that the day might come that people would no longer talk in terms of Internet Service Providers but rather Virtual World Providers.

I know that may sound Science Fictionish. 

To acomplish that would require a lot of computing power at the Home Computer level.  Is there a wall that we will hit on just how powerful a home computer can be and still be practical or even affordable for that matter?

*pointedly ignores Griffin's post* :-o

Strangely enough, the feedback on Oculus Rift's Kickstarter page is kinda . . . unhappy. The sentiment (although technically not correct, of course) seems to be that these people in essence Kickstarted Facebook . . .

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1523379957/oculus-rift-step-into-the-game/comments

They don't seem a lot more friendly on Reddit either, where Palmer Luckey's attempts at damage control are being met with rotten vegetables. And I thought the SL forums could be nasty.

http://www.reddit.com/user/palmerluckey

I'm not sure I'd turn down $2 billion dollars for a project were I offered it.

At the same time, this whole thing is making me sort of sad and cynical about crowdfunding, which seemed like such a cool, democratic idea. If the end result of helping to fund a new project is simply to bring it to the stage where it can be sold out to the highest bidder, and put it in the hands of a multi-billion dollar corporation . . . well, that's not cool. At all.

One crowdfunds because one is excited by a project, not because one wants to make the developers rich.

LaskyaClaren wrote:

*pointedly ignores Griffin's post* :-o

Believe me, I've been on both ends of that.

They don't seem a lot more friendly on Reddit either, where Palmer Luckey's attempts at damage control are being met with rotten vegetables. And I thought the SL forums could be nasty.

Most of the people posting here would be eaten alive in the real world on Reddit.

This is a big move - and completely expected - though I'm surprised it was Facebook that bought Oculus Rift.

Perhaps Zucherberg realizes that VR and virtual worlds such as Second Life and New Eden (both over 10 years old) are the next 'big thing' - that they will replace FB as the global social network. Remember that it took 10 years for the cellphone to become a global technology. Expect a lot of attention to focus now on Second Life.

As I have been arguing for years, the potential for Second Life is HUGE. Sadly, Linden Lab lacked the vision and competence to capitalize on their first-mover advantage, but with a new CEO, perhaps Linden Lab is finally waking up to the new economic and commercial reality of virtual worlds. Facebook's purchase of Oculus Rift is certainly a wakeup call - the loudest alarm bell in the industry.

LindenLab did lots of things in last year to implement Facebook to our beloved SecondLife. SL is one of the virtual platforms in which OculusRift is tested (see beta viewer: http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Tools-and-Technology/Second-Life-s-Oculus-Rift-Integration-is-Ready-for-Beta-Testers/ba-p/2544572). Now Facebook bought Oculus VR including the Rift!

I hope Facebook does NOT want to buy Second Life too!!!

Mark Zuckerberg wants to create a Social Media 3.0. Second Life IS social media 3.0 for 10 years now. So SL would be the next step for Mark!

Please LindenLab, don't sell our beloved virtual world to the enemy Facebook!!!

Stay independent! We don't want to be a part of Facebook.

Maybe it would be better to stopp the work of implementing the Rift.

We don't want to be addicted by Facebook!

You need have no fears on that score. Facebook is interested in virtual reality, not virtual worlds. The two are not synonymous.

What's more, Second Life is, in relative terms, ancient technology. If FB wanted a virtual world (which they don't) they have the resources to build a much more up-to-date one than this.

While I am horrified at the prospect of Facebook buying Second Life, it would make sense. The ancient technology of SL is not important. What's important is the brand, the history, the userbase and the experience of Linden Lab's employees in managing a full-scale political economy. Needless to say, the ancient technology of Facebook (including its lousy interface) has not impeded its success.

Hrdtop75 Deluxe wrote:

Looks like the Cheeseburger is flashing the cash.

2-billion-dollars.png

I was thinking a little bit about this 2 Billion Bananas.

Palmer says it gives him much needed funding for R&D.

So how much of it will he be contractually required to use for this purpose?  In other words, he didn't just now earn 2 Billion, though I'd bet there is still a nice profit in it for him.

The other questions are what kind of market penetration will be needed for Zucky to recoup his investment and how long will that take?

That said, what troubles me is the continued centralization of th econtrol of too much technology into the hands of too few people.  They may claim to be ruling for our own good, but rule they will.  And the first time something appears to be contrary to their good, they will fight it tooth and nail.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3673 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.