Oringal Last Names

Abz Alter

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3595 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

in the first time after the second names were dropped the one-namers indeed often were seen as ...lets say nice... newbies... by the double-namers.

And still.... a 3 year old resident is often seen as younger than a 3 year old double named avatar.

i am still very happy having a double-name on my account(s) :)

For years when I first got here, I thought that the people who had "Resident" as their last names were Premium Members and those with last names weren't. Didn't realize the whole progression of the last names until my next AV didn't get one.

On a good note, I discovered that there are 10201 residents with my last name....time to hit up some long lost relatives for extra cash....

:matte-motes-sunglasses-3:

The "Gossipgirl" name clearly shows up the problem of uptake vs retention. The name was added at the height of SL's media popularity as a link-up with the Gossip Girl show. I believe there was a link from the show's website to a dedicated sign-up portal. Over 150,000 signed up with that name. At the time I was running into Gossipgirls everywhere I went in SL. Now? I can't remember the last time I met one.

Only 1296 Mays... I'm a rarity!

Kelli May wrote:

The "Gossipgirl" name clearly shows up the problem of uptake vs retention. The name was added at the height of SL's media popularity as a link-up with the Gossip Girl show.

Interesting that namewatch claims gossipgirl was around since 2008. I remember things quite differently. I remember the promotion of the name for a very short period, after which it was pulled - all timed to coincide with a promotion from the show. This was in 2010, long after SL's decline from popularity.

Its no surprise it faded really fast - the show itself was a flash in the pan. Its fans who came here, if any, likely didn't find much. Many who grabbed it were just random alts of people already here.

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

Kelli May wrote:

The "Gossipgirl" name clearly shows up the problem of uptake vs retention. The name was added at the height of SL's media popularity as a link-up with the Gossip Girl show.

Interesting that namewatch claims gossipgirl was around since 2008. I remember things quite differently. I remember the promotion of the name for a very short period, after which it was pulled - all timed to coincide with a promotion from the show. This was in 2010, long after SL's decline from popularity.

Its no surprise it faded really fast - the show itself was a flash in the pan. Its fans who came here, if any, likely didn't find much. Many who grabbed it were just random alts of people already here.

A quick seach of Gossipgirl profiles suggest start dates of early 2008 into 2009. I only looked at a half-dozen so I don't have the best idea of their range or end-date, but clearrly they do start earlier than you remember.

Venus Petrov wrote:

Wow.  Over 17700 Petrovs and I have only met two others inworld in my 7+ years.  Must not be a healthy bunch :matte-motes-bored:

Quite similar here; 11513 Fodens. In seven years I have seen only two other Fodens inworld. And I do travel a lot in SL.

Kelli May wrote:

A quick seach of Gossipgirl profiles suggest start dates of early 2008 into 2009. I only looked at a half-dozen so I don't have the best idea of their range or end-date, but clearrly they do start earlier than you remember.

Date Opened 2007-10-24 13:49:23
Date Closed 2010-02-26 07:08:28
Days Active 856
Status heritage
Usage Count 151096
Reg. Per Active Day 176.5
Last Updated 2012-11-04 19:00:54

http://slnamewatch.com/last_name_GossipGirl.html

Yeah I see the dates on gossipgirl as a name - I was around during the craze on that name. Even went to the sim. I might even have a gossipgirl alt somewhere...

It looks like I'm remembering the tail end of it. I went as the result of a blog post saying it would end soon. For a few short weeks at that point in time half od SL seemed to have the last name 'GossipGirl'.

They came, grabbed the names, and then went back to the main accounts.

Only 174 Jetaimes ever existed per that list.  We all joined within a couple few days of each other in late August 2006.  I could pull up only 15 Jetaimes in people search now including me.   At least 3 seem to be gone from SL.  I've met 2 in  7++ years.  

My partner shared his last name with only 135.  There are only 4 showing in search now with 1 looking like they are gone.

I and my partner are endangered species it appears. I wonder if I could get the feds to set aside a tier free sim for us in order to protect out natural environment.:smileyvery-happy:

Amethyst if you think you're endangered, I just checked and there are only 8 Kasshikis that still show up in search out of 245 originally! Sadly, I can't recall ever meeting a "family member" during my years in SL.

I guess those of us with surnames are slowly but surely going the way of the dinosaurs. It's kind of sad that this part of SL's rich history will soon be... um, history and that the newer people who might have wanted a surname never got the chance.

Wow, I feel so old and alone now. :smileysad:

Oh my,

I have cousins galore - 33250 at one time.  I've met quite a few in-world over the years and I actually worked for a "Lane" as well. I know we have at lease one other "Lane" who posts in the forum between his expulsions by Linden Lab. :P

fr.jpg

I'm going to throw a family picnic and see who comes. I'll bring the ambrosia.

family-holding-hands.jpg

KarenMichelle Lane wrote:

Mmmmm...ambrosia.

*thinks about changing his last name to Lane for the free food* :matte-motes-sunglasses-3:

Deej Kasshiki wrote:

Amethyst if you think you're endangered, I just checked and there are
only 8
Kasshikis that still show up in search out of 245 originally! Sadly, I can't recall ever meeting a "family member" during my years in SL.

I guess those of us with surnames are slowly but surely going the way of the dinosaurs. It's kind of sad that this part of SL's rich history will soon be... um, history and that the newer people who might have wanted a surname never got the chance.

Wow, I feel so old and alone now. :smileysad:

Is web search a guarantee of an account still being active or inactive?

If I recall correctly Web Search honors a persons desire if they mark their profile private.  Whereas Legacy Search which is still active in many TPV's does not. 

I do know several other 'Jurans.'  A couple of years ago we decided to start a "Cousins Club" group.  We spent some time sending invitations out to other Juran's to the group.  Easily 90% of the profiles we viewed were completely blank and we only ever got one response.  Crazy.

Tex Monday wrote:

KarenMichelle Lane wrote:

Mmmmm...ambrosia.

*thinks about changing his last name to Lane for the free food* :matte-motes-sunglasses-3:

We just wish you'd get Jumpman under control.  Really now.  ;)

Perrie Juran wrote:

If I recall correctly Web Search honors a persons desire if they mark their profile private.  Whereas Legacy Search which is still active in many TPV's does not. 

I do know several other 'Jurans.'  A couple of years ago we decided to start a "Cousins Club" group.  We spent some time sending invitations out to other Juran's to the group.  Easily 90% of the profiles we viewed were completely blank and we only ever got one response.  Crazy.

I'd forgotten about the search privacy issue actually. There's no way of knowing if the 245 Kasshikis that show up in legacy search are active or not without contacting them or, checking groups to see whan the last login date was, at least as far as I know. I looked at about 25 last night (all created between the end of Sept. through early Oct. 2006) and all but 2 were totally blank profiles. I assume that these people simply created an account but didn't bother to stick around for whatever reason. Web search showed only 8 (including me).

Deej Kasshiki wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

I'd forgotten about the search privacy issue actually. There's no way of knowing if the 245 Kasshikis that show up in legacy search are active or not without contacting them or, checking groups to see whan the last login date was, at least as far as I know. I looked at about 25 last night (all created between the end of Sept. through early Oct. 2006) and all but 2 were totally blank profiles. I assume that these people simply created an account but didn't bother to stick around for whatever reason. Web search showed only 8 (including me).

I might need to take a step back from what I said because I don't know for a fact if a Profile set to private still shows in Legacy search.

Really, I don't know what is going on here with this.  Legacy search is deprecated in the Official Viewer but is not killed Server Side.  Must be something preventing LL from doing this.

If legacy search is showing "private profiles" then an argument could be made that any TPV using it is in violation of the TPV ToS.

Prohibited Features and Functionality

You must not provide any feature that circumvents any privacy protection option made available through a Linden Lab viewer or any Second Life service.

http://secondlife.com/corporate/tpv.php#priv2

ETA: I would hate to see Legacy Search deprecated.  I'll take it any day of the week over the lame a$$ excuse they call Web Search.   Same goes for Web Profiles verses Legacy Profiles.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3595 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.