Reliable Avatar UUID Retriever

joniveehernandez

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2770 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi guys, is there a reliable Avatar UUID retriever or an official Second Life that search for the UUID of a given name? Instead of using the Name2Key library. Well I'm not saying this library script is not reliable, I'm just thinking that why not use something that Second Life or Linden Labs itself provides. Maybe an API from them.

I am working in a LSL script where the user enters an avatar name in a textbox, then once entered that added avatar will be informed via IM. Since you cannot message someone just supplying the username. You still need that UUID to supply it to specific functions that required UUID parameter like the IM function.

Since we're going to use this project for long term once its finished. That's why I'm making sure that there's always a Name 2 Key functionality that is always there overtime. Thanks!

Hey sirhc DeSantis, Yes I know that common sense thing you suggest. I'm talking about scripting and I'm asking the PROGRAMMERS here and I summarized the problem to make it easily to tell. This is not just sending an IM to other avatars. Since this is only a small piece on what we are working on and what we are trying to achieve.

No, there isn't one (API or built in lsl command).

I use a combination of this name2key via Google (converted to aspx) and external databases solutions. So, if the Google search fails it will try to find the name in an external databases, of which I think I have 4 listed which it will try in turn. As far as I can see the Google option is always working.

It is very reliable right now but you are right to be concerned that something may change that will break it at some time in the future. The only thing that you can really do is make sure that you get an alert of some kind if it starts to fail.

Getting users to type in names is a bit of a worrying thought, don't forget that some users have 1 name and some have 2.

Name2Key has always been difficult, and it's become even harder in recent years.  In addition to my legacy name (Rolig Loon) and my username (Rolig.Loon), I might have a different Display Name every week.  Or I might be a newer resident, as my alt is.  She could have a single name (Rolig) or a full name (Rolig Resident).  If I ask ten people to type my name into a text box, chances are very low that that will all get it right, even if they don't misspell anything.  ( I have been called "Rollig", "Roling", "Roolig", and many other variations over the years.  People misspell even simple names all the time.  )

No matter what Name2Key service you use, human error will be your bigger challenge.

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

Rolig Loon wrote:

I have been called "Rollig", "Roling", "Roolig", and many other variations over the years.

C'mon, you've been called worse than that!

Heh.   That's what "many other variations" means.  This is a family channel.  :smileytongue:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2770 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.