HEY I THINK I FOUND WHY SL LAGS SO MUCH - and solutions!!

gunmaker

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2364 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 22/03/2014 at 11:01 PM, gunmaker said:

so after spending about 3 minutes with the consoles::

(...)

C:: your initial physics engine was quite nice.. But users have made THIER OWN(check my inventory) over 32 physics engine. And yeah- it runs smoother and more realistic than yours. IN A SCRIPT :|

... in 3 minutes.

I think I need a cat.

• Haha 2

On 3/22/2014 at 5:01 PM, gunmaker said:

so after spending about 3 minutes with the consoles::

Lag meter

Statistics

Texture download queue

Fast timers

Major issue number one. Secondlife doesn’t assume that ANY textures are already downloaded. Even if I have a 9 gigabyte cache. So when an object flies back into screen. Even if it has the same texture as another object. It sits there for a few seconds(not a world breaking internet speed currently) trying to id if that texture has changed.

SO!

In order to fix this most blatant and serious problem here are some techniques or plans for your programmers::

A: create a flag for objects that state similar texture or unchanging texture or locked texture status so that

It will simply clone the id of one texture to a list. At once.

B: make land or repeating tiles use the same id to rapid load exact same tiles

B a: give land or simplified detail mods the options for a checkbox :: simplified land, so that its one mega texture and the repeat is 1  | simplified land so that all tiles are the same | simplified tiles so that the local user can choose his own dirt texture and spacing. (PS secondlifes dirt quality is a real off putter!)

C: add options for simplified land simplified textures for repeating geometry instances

D: add an option for a random spray paint on land or user specified..

Mostly the major thing I notice that really slows SL down is the incremental rez of textures.

A :: yes targa format has superior 'loading'(rez) times. But it needs to be set at maximum quality always. Toggling of quality is what eats secondlife thoroughly.

B :: when rezzing avatars render horrifically -grey - or nude. That’s not good for customers yo!

C:: after running open sim and opengrid and thoroughly gauntleting all the possible options in the configuration... [And achieving delete and rez times like ice even under extreme conditions] it turns out you guys have 2 conflicting optimizers at work which make it subpar overall.. you should enable use multiple threads - but don’t run side by side loading times.... its complex I know :: basically you need to change the timings of how many objects per second become deleted, change your server response to 200 MS not 100 MS intervals, limit rezzing of textures and objects to 50 and 100 respectively(objects referring to primitives)

O yes and finally after much thorough testing... you guys need to make creating and editing prims local sided. The reconfiguration of prims (even less than 100) while live on the server eats your system. Prims are essential to good gameplay and cannot be removed - but they need to be locked on final creations

A:: make miniature portable local grid that is built into the client so that users can work with prims (faster and flawlessly I might add) to make their base design and thusly the concept of a dirty(read pineapple bomb and or trolling) sandbox is no longer an excuse) and then paint and texture it inworld

SIDE NOTE:: default texture should be literally truly blank. The wood texture requires memory resources and requires an apply texture. You’ll save heaps and STACKS of memory space [as well as render times inworld]to insure the default texture is simply a fullbright white.

Secondlife would run wholesale faster and cleaner if u did a few optimizations to your packet streams and packet protocols

A:: first off your mixing packet protocols and you have them REVERSED for what they would normally be best at.

Abs:: udp packets are best at random(read torrent style data) information and usefull for loading textures

Ac:: http packets are usefull for orderly login and status update packets [and are less hackable or injectable]

______

B:: your packet streams cataclysmically fail due to variation between browser-client-computers local speeds, this is how

Ba:: user a requests texture uuidx at the exact same time user b. the texture locks and refuses to load- waits for the opportunity to reset and try again

Bb:: user a is loading pileoprims a while user b is viewing pileoprims attempting to load

In basic you need to completely finish the queue of one users items before attempting to assess the next (make sure that per 20 meter radius not global server)

O yeah and why aren’t you guys incorporate the latest boosts for graphics cards? Such as

A:: amds mantle >replaces direct x and runs 200x faster than any previous version at standard rates

B:: cuda-art rendering > using the ddr5 memory that is quite nice on graphics cards to process math and lists(for instance vectoring and physics o yeah and water + glow + shadows

C:: your initial physics engine was quite nice.. But users have made THIER OWN(check my inventory) over 32 physics engine. And yeah- it runs smoother and more realistic than yours. IN A SCRIPT :|

D:: why are you not applying the havoc engine on boxes. Trolls are stupid yes but having to CONSTANTLY change the nature of PHYSICS ITSELF for every time a troll makes a new torque object (and breaking older objects physics)

-- is  just stupid cause they will continue to make some kind of physical object that can maneuver things. And it breaks legit item creator’s items.

And well-- its time you guys quit offering viewers. Unfortunately any time someone has used secondlifes default viewer.. Crap happens.. Because you don’t obfuscate (and therefore tighten and accelerate) you viewers code... hackers lock on and run exploits against it- you got banned- your money is now zero.. Etcetera. Also until u make a 64bit strong hydra encrypted password chain? your still going to have hackers (like inf <female> armanifodrea@yahoo.com PayPal) creating viewers that can basically just short circuit your linden packets and spoof them and gain admin access.. Leading to the deletion of accounts and theft of money. As well as being able to log in as you and tool around and say woo im a dork( yeah ive been inside SL for a while )

p.s. the first account that got hacked your phone staff sucked ass and deleted my account instead of helping me. (I think he was the one who hacked it and stole my money in the first place)

I lost 9000 linden on that that I could be using in SL right now. And it was making some wonderfully successful business too (hyperdyne lupindo)

O yeah ! And to reduce / eliminate sim border crashes the items should not attempt first time loading till 1 second AFTER the avatar has fully entered the next sim.

>>>add an addendum for 2 things::

A:: older amd computers should auto disable vbo on login(it runs faster without anyways)

B:: particles reload to fast for the default texture downloading engine to handle it . they need to be managed by a separately configured engine... for instance it should always attempt to completely download any new texture for at least 20 seconds then retry 20 seconds later.. Not just eat the entire bandwidth trying to check and recheck to death the same texture over and over again.

>>>add an addendum for 1 thing::

A:: secondlife doesnt reat movement and sim position as proiority critical.- textures should PAUSE loading on an avatars request to move for that avatar. - which will also increase secondlifes smoothness.

also consider getting an IPV6 tunnel broker with hurricane electric to enable true gigabyte speeds., >its free<

addendum::

the segmentation of the grid is to keep hackers and spam objects at bay
 well theres already an energy system for scripts
 -if the script uses up more resources per second than it ought to,
it stops

so i propose make an avatar energy system :)
an avatar chugging along at maximum speed in a ferrari wont trigger the system, but a griefer or math bomb that sends out 300 units of energy per second, would instantly trip the alarm
when the alarm triggers, it would
simply turn off all scripts
return ALL objects globally that belong to that avatar
then relog the avatar with a notify box
>that would literally kill griefers in their tracks.
>that would protect users who get victimized by griefer trojans casue al lthe items would simply be returned.
if a person exceeds the limit warned or not.. theyve earned it :)
this should also trigger for sims theyve recently been in as ive happend to find a SUPER nasty off sim rez trick, as well as method that can steal or change permissions on objects-scripts-avatars-etc. O.o

honestly i need to talk to someone live on my account, please schedule a day and ill pipe out the problems and the solutions.

i always thought it was cuz some times other members think u offended them so they DDOS u to death and give u the wierd problem where linden labs has dicorevered degraded performance on yr connection ya i know why they buggin the crap out my connection :(

Easy, and without reading.  take it from a person whom started in sl in 07 with a 2.0ghz amd barton core with 256mb ram and a 64mb mx400 video card.  

Hardware Bottle neck.   if you want SL t o play like any other game and not lag about, you have to throw money at the solution. 

but if you do not throw money at it.   visiting mainland.  drop your draw as low as it will go,  make sure you bandwidth in the networking is set to at max of 1500 (I got this bandwidth idea from whirlybird years ago)

KILL shadows, good god, those things are fps killers.  my 980 GTX SC 4gb card chokes on them, disabled and I can stand in a group of 40 people at 256m draw on mainland and not have issues, turning them on turns me into a 10fps frame losing monster lol.

Think that's all I have.  if I think of more I'll edit this.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2364 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.