moving objects in sl

GillianBlackmist

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3683 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi All :)

I'm having a problem when rezzing and moving my furniture in my new land. I never saw that before.

What happens is that (as you can see in the image below) when I try to move furniture I just rezzed the

move arrows are not alligned with the object which makes moving furniture a pain. I did a test in

a sand box and did not have a problem there.

Any help welcome !

Thanks a lot :)

Sans titre.png

5 answers to this question

In the Edit window, look up in the top section.  There is a scroll box to choose your coordinate system.  You can choose World, Local, or Reference.  For most purposes, use World.  But to align the arrows with the object, choose Local.

Alignment is one reason that so much of SL is built facing directly north, south, east or west.  If your building is lined up with the world coordinates, putting a picture on the wall is a trivial task.  If the building is on an angle, the task becomes a lot more tedious, as you have to match the rotation of the picture to that of the wall.  Or in your case, the sofa to the rotation of the rug.

• Like 5

Hi Gillian,

In addition to Lindal's explanation, here's how I move/align stuff relative to other stuff.

In the case of a sofa that I want to align to a house, I first select the house and then type "Shift-G", or select "Build->Options->Use Selection for Grid". This is the same as selecting "Reference" in the "Snap" drop-down of the Edit window. This orients the axis arrows and compass to the root prim of the house, which is hopefully square to the house itself. Take a quick look at the axis arrows to make sure they're lined up with the house as you expect. Now that the axes have been set as "Reference" by "Shift-G", they will hold even if I select a different object like the sofa. I'd then select the sofa, which is now easy to rotate square to the walls, and drag it into position.

Now, let's say that I oriented the sofa at an angle to the house and wish to align an ottoman in front if it. I'd select the sofa and again type "Shift-G" to reference the edit axes to the sofa, then select the ottoman and rotate/move it into position. Repeat this sequence as needed to align things to other things. Select the reference thing, type "Shift-G" to align the axes, then select the second thing and position it.

If I wished to align the edit axes to the world again, I'd select "World" from the "Snap" dropdown in the Edit window. There may be a keyboard shortcut for doing this, but I'm not aware of one.

Good luck!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Well, I had no idea there was a drop down in the Edit window for "World, Local, Reference"! So thanks for bringing that to my addled attention, Lindal!

I stumbled upon the stickiness of the local axis years ago and have been building the way I described ever since. Life was hell before I discovered that, I like to set stuff down at odd angles.

;-)

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3683 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.