"cannot exchange currency" error when trying to buy

LittleNikkiWebber

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2140 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

14 answers to this question

It's hard for us to tell, without more information.  But here are some common problems:

• You didn't complete setting up your credit card as a payment method.  Sometimes the "continue" button can't be seen.  If you don't see it, do one or more of the following:  1) turn of ad blockers in your browser  2) clear your browser's cache and refresh the window   3) use a different browser to view the page, especially if you are using Internet Explorer.
  • You tried to use a debit card or a prepaid card as your payment method.  LL doesn't accept these.
  • You bought a Premium membership and paid $9.95.  This put you at the transaction limits set for brand new payment methods, making it impossible for you to buy $L.  The easiest solution is to wait a few days.  The low initial transaction limits are a safety measure designed to keep people from using stolen credit cards to make large purchases, and will be raised in just a few days.
  • You live in a country, or use a payment method, that doesn't have an automatic currency conversion

If you need further help, call Billing at one of the numbers below.

US/Canada: 800-294-1067
France: 0805-101-490
Germany: 0800-664-5510
Japan: 0066-33-132-830
Portugal: 800-814-450
Spain: 800-300-560
UK: 0800-048-4646
Brazil: 0800-762-1132

Long distance ( not free, but you can use Skype to save some cost ) : 703-286-6277
**Note: Support is offered only in English

19 hours ago, Kytteh Wytchwood said:

Actually debit cards are accepted. I have no idea why you think a debit card wouldn't be accepted? I have been using the same debit card for 8 yrs with no problems. Just having an issue with not being able to buy in my new acct but I can in my main acct. Although it wasn't letting me buy in my main acct a few days ago but now it is, just not in my alt acct. Makes no sense.

This changed in the last couple of years or so.  Most people can continue to use debit cards that are on their account until they have to enter a new expiration date.  Also, because of the rule change, the same card will not work on a new account.

• Like 3

On 6/8/2018 at 7:13 PM, LittleMe Jewell said:

This changed in the last couple of years or so.  Most people can continue to use debit cards that are on their account until they have to enter a new expiration date.  Also, because of the rule change, the same card will not work on a new account.

I've been using the same card since 2010 and for more than one account. This is the first time I have had an issue.

19 minutes ago, Kytteh Wytchwood said:

I've been using the same card since 2010 and for more than one account. This is the first time I have had an issue.

There's always a first time. If the card-issuing company changed anything -- expiration date, account number, security code, or something behind the scenes -- the card will be perceived as a new card, subject to current rules.  It doesn't make any difference how long you have had it. 

BTW, forum threads that deal with a topic like credit/debit cards, where the rules change frequently, commonly have information that becomes stale after a few months -- certainly after a year or more.  That's why most of us, like Alwin, warn people about looking for answers in ancient threads. 

Edited by Rolig Loon

18 minutes ago, Kytteh Wytchwood said:

Credit cards have nothing to do with your bank.

Every credit card is issued by a bank of some sort, 'your bank' refers to the bank that issued any specific card, whether it be debit or credit.

The knowledge base is not always updated in a timely manner, so some of the specifics there need to be taken with a grain of salt.  I am not saying you are wrong, I am simply saying that if you are successful in using a debit card, then count youself lucky because just about nobody else gets them to work. 

Assuming the billing page is up to date, this part may be helpful:
image.thumb.png.0e1af4c58fa4158a139123d2f988345f.png

Billing support phone numbers
    Toll-Free (US/Canada): 800.294.1067
    Long-Distance: 703.286.6277 
Our Billing team is available from 9am to 6pm EST(6am to 3pm PST), Monday through Friday.

6 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Every credit card is issued by a bank of some sort, 'your bank' refers to the bank that issued any specific card, whether it be debit or credit.

The knowledge base is not always updated in a timely manner, so some of the specifics there need to be taken with a grain of salt.  I am not saying you are wrong, I am simply saying that if you are successful in using a debit card, then count youself lucky because just about nobody else gets them to work. 

Assuming the billing page is up to date, this part may be helpful:
image.thumb.png.0e1af4c58fa4158a139123d2f988345f.png

Billing support phone numbers
    Toll-Free (US/Canada): 800.294.1067
    Long-Distance: 703.286.6277 
Our Billing team is available from 9am to 6pm EST(6am to 3pm PST), Monday through Friday.

Thank you for the help, I appreciate it I will try adding my payment method again to my new acct and see if it goes through.If not, then I will call them on Monday. Nice tip about waiting 30min, I had not thought of that. It took 4 days before it went through on my main acct. And I didnt know there was a bank behind a credit card co. Thanks for the insightful information.

Actually debit cards are accepted. I have no idea why you think a debit card wouldn't be accepted? I have been using the same debit card for 8 yrs with no problems. Just having an issue with not being able to buy in my new acct but I can in my main acct. Although it wasn't letting me buy in my main acct a few days ago but now it is, just not in my alt acct. Makes no sense.

On 6/8/2018 at 2:51 AM, Alwin Alcott said:

as does responding to 2014 threads

It does not matter the date of a post. I searched in google and this ppst came up. People are responding to me and so did you so if we used your logic, why are you replying in a 2014 thread? It's a rude comment and unnecessary. It was also not helpful. I do not need that kind of response.

On 6/8/2018 at 12:48 AM, Lindal Kidd said:

Some debit cards used to be accepted, but they aren't these days.  If yours still is, congratulations.

I've been using the card since 2010.Have never had problems.

I just went to the billing section in the knowledge base. Yes debit cards are accepted. 

In the Preventing Billing Problems section, it says this,

"Your monthly payment limit is reached, and/or your bank is not authorizing any more transactions.

The issuing bank has not pre-approved transactions with Linden Research, Inc. Contact the issuing bank to resolve the problem."

Which means debit is allowed. Credit cards have nothing to do with your bank. That would be a credit agency.

Also, I found this bog concerning re-adding your credit or debit card so that you can make purchases with it because LL changed to a new paymnt system.

"On Wednesday, September 16th, 2015, Linden Lab issued a blog post advising people  who use a credit (or debit) card to make payments directly to Linden Lab, to update their Second Life payment information."

source, https://modemworld.me/2015/09/17/lab-advises-update-your-second-life-payment-info/

4 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

There's always a first time. If the card-issuing company changed anything -- expiration date, account number, security code, or something behind the scenes -- the card will be perceived as a new card, subject to current rules.  It doesn't make any difference how long you have had it. 

BTW, forum threads that deal with a topic like credit/debit cards, where the rules change frequently, commonly have information that becomes stale after a few months -- certainly after a year or more.  That's why most of us, like Alwin, warn people about looking for answers in ancient threads. 

I stated debit card, not credit card. I did not search the forum. I stated Google specifically. He didn't warn me. He made a rude comment and quoted me, where I said, "makes no sense". He was making fun of me. You on the other hand, are courteous and actually had a detailed explanation. You come across as friendly. I know people respond in the forums and I didn't feel like searching the forums. I made a reply and people have answered. I don't see the problem. 

I'd like to add, I mean I am using the same bank. The card has changed many times, but it is the same bank. I entered in everything correctly. 4 days later I was able to purchase Lindens. The same day I tried and it failed to let me buy Lindens, I went ahead and bought a game expansion for my Sims 4 game. It went through instantly and now I have a new game. So I had funds, correct information. It was on LL's end. And after almost a week, it went through. It so annoys me when I have to struggle with the website to make purchases.

Now this is on this account. I am still waiting for a response to my ticket on my new account. I only want to buy the min amount so I can open a new marketplace store. The requirement is have to be a certain amount of days old. It is now more than 2 weeks old. Then I have to purchase a minimum of $1 with my payment method to access creating a store. But they won't let me even though you can purchase $30 per 24 hrs with a new acct.

Edited by Kytteh Wytchwood

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2140 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.