Wanting a full region for the first time!

CamiBoi

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3692 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey, thanks for checking this out. Please do go easy on me because I'm very new to this 8)

So throughout my time in Second Life I always wanted a full region, but I never really knew how to go about it. Or I never really figured out any good tips/ideas. How do I develop the land? Can I change it to suit myself? Can I rent houses to people? Is it expensive? Do I hire others to help me? How to advertise?

It's all been questions upon questions, that never really had any answers. I always wanted a small city type region, full of houses and such.

I don't know how to make a "successful region", or how land worked in general. I mean, I've rented land before, but this is a bit more extreme, considering it will cost much more. I'm not looking to make money from it, that never really was the point. The point was to make a nice region I could call my own. That being said it would be nice to make money, or even maintain.

Basically any tips, or anything helpful in general will be very much appreciated. As of now I'm completely clueless.

(I'm surprised that nobody has answered yet. I'm surely not the best to answer, having only ever worked on full sims for others, not owning them myself. But in lieu of anybody who actually knows whereof they speak...)

It seems you're most likely speaking of a private Estate region, not Mainland. (A full sim of Mainland can be a little challenging to find for sale, and a bit pricey up-front, but of course much cheaper per month: $195, compared to $295 for a full Estate sim. You have much less control of a Mainland sim, however, even if you own the whole thing.)

It also seems you're speaking of a full-primmed region, not a Homestead. That's judging from the fact you want to rent some out, and want it to be an urban setting which tends to demand more land impact than a Homestead can support. Homesteads are much cheaper, $125/mo, but first you have to have a full-primmed region -- assuming you're going to be running your own estate, not renting from an existing estate.

You might, however, start out by renting a Homestead and building there, so when you later get your own full-primmed sim (perhaps your own estate) you already know what you'll be rezzing there and how you'll be terraforming it, so you can "hit the ground running" after making that steeper investment. (A Homestead only supports 3750 land impact, compared to 15,000 for a full-primmed sim... but if you'll be renting out parts of it, you'll proably want to devote most of those for tenant use -- although of course that greatly limits how much you can build for your own use.)

However you decide to do it, yeah, you can terraform a private region any way you like (and use RAW files to perfectly copy your region's terrain to another, or vice versa). You can hire others to help, or you may know people who'd be willing to help set up a sim just for the fun of it. (Not so likely to find anybody willing to manage rentals for free, although possibly in exchange for free rent.)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3692 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.