How can I tell when someone is camming over me?

R0zlyn

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2580 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi everyone,

So I recently came to the understanding that there is a setting (or something) that allows you to see where other people are looking or when they are camming over you. How do I do this? I have the Firestorm viewer and would very much so like to know. :)

Also, the person who told me this said he could see who specifically was looking at him... Please explain to me how this works and how I can do this as well! 

Thank you, all!

9 answers to this question

Look At

“Look At” is the name given to a beacon, cross hairs, which indicate where an avatar's camera is focused. Where an avatars camera is focused is not necessarily where they are looking, it is only where the focus point is.

If you want to know what the crosshair colors mean, please refer to this SL wiki page.

How do I See Where Others are Looking?

To see where other avatars have focused their camera:

Or:

• Develop (Ctrl-Alt-Q if the menu is not shown) → Avatar → Show Look At

Please note that others can disable their Look At from being seen (see below), so enabling this doesn't guarantee that you will see everyone's camera focus.

Note also that this doesn't show you your own Look At beacon, but see below.

How do I Prevent Others from Seeing Where I am Looking

In order to prevent others from seeing where your camera is focused:

• Preferences → Privacy → LookAt → Don't send my look at targets to others - Check

How do I see My Own LookAt?

Enable Go to Preferences → Privacy → LookAt → Don't show any look at targets at all, not even to myself - disable.

• Like 3

This always seems to me like the stuff my kids used to whine about when they were little: "Mom!  He's looking at me!"  :smileysad:  I'm with Maddy on this one.  Ignore it.  Or take it as a compliment.  Besides, as both Val and Maddy have said, this is a very unreliable feature anyway.

• Like 4

As the others have said, "Show Look At" causes far more arguments and upset than it's worth.  For one thing, there are many reasons a person't camera crosshairs might appear to be on you.

1. They are looking at something you're standing next to
  2. They are looking at something far away from you, but you happen to be in the line of sight
  3. They are looking at something completely different, but happened to leave their camera focused on a spot near you
  4. They are away from keyboard, or deep in IM with someone, and just happened to leave the camera at that spot
  5. Oh yeah...they might, just might, be actually looking at YOU.  Isn't that why you spent all that money on your hair, shoes, skin, and outfit?  So people would look at you?

I never use this feature, and therefore I am never creeped out by crosshairs ticklling me.

• Like 4

I just had a horrible experience, because I enjoy panning around the crowd, looking at the beautiful gowns worn by some avatars. I was shocked when the female avatar said, "What are you looking at B****?" I told her I was admiring her gown and she said, ":You were looking at my man, you w****" Well duh he was standing in a holding position with her so I guess I saw him, too. lol ''

I finally blocked her after she told me to go find a man who can give me a good "F*** and leave her man alone.

I'm happy I found this thread, because I don't want anymore encounters like that in Second Life. If you happen to run into Rosy and JB Stonehill, make sure you're using "don't show my look at target" hahaha

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Kikkles, please remove the names of the people you had issues with from your post.  It's against forum rules to name names, and could get you in trouble if they see it.  Although I must say that I agree with you that the person you encountered was very rude!

• Like 1

And those that have a SpaceNavigator can cam all over the place and the "LookAt" crosshair never moves.

Other controllers are similar too. Only mouse clicks move the LookAt.

You'll have weird people say all sorts of things when they see your LookAt on or near them. Have some good comebacks ready.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2580 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.