Profile pic woes

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3691 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

All right, this is driving me nuts.  

When I try to add a picture to my profile, I can't actually select any files.  I have triple-checked file size, image size, file type, and permissions, and...yeah, no go.  The files are always grayed-out and unselectable.

I have the feeling that my problem is something stupidly simple and obvious, but for the life of me, I can't figure it out.  Does anyone have any ideas?  

Or a good hard surface for me to bang my head on?

Ilvenna wrote:

Tex:  Thanks for the tip.  
;)

Madelaine:  I suppose I should clarify that I'm trying to add an inworld profile picture, not a forum avatar.  But thanks for the tip!  That's helpful to know.

I know, sillly question, but have you uploaded the picture to SL?

From your decsription I'm not sure how the files could be "greyed out."

Perhaps it would help if we knew the exact steps you are taking.

Are you doing this in the Viewer or on the Web?

Ilvenna wrote:

;)

Madelaine:  I suppose I should clarify that I'm trying to add an inworld profile picture, not a forum avatar.  But thanks for the tip!  That's helpful to know.

I'm not speaking about the forum. And there is no in-world profile. The profile has been web based for quite some time. If you are using the viewer's built in web browser to edit your profile, that's probably the problem. That browser is a mess.

Go here and upload your picture...

https://my.secondlife.com/settings/profile

Ilvenna wrote:

;)

OK...maybe some more helpful advice this time.

If you're trying to put a picture in your profile through one of the viewers, provided the picture is either in your photo album or your textures, you should just be able to click on the photo on the profile then the photo in your inventory. The only reason I could think of that it wouldn't work is if it was uploaded in a different format and got sent to another area of your inventory.

Maybe try reuploading it to your inventory???

OK..probably NOT more helpful. :matte-motes-sunglasses-3:

Perrie:  I have uploaded the image, yes.  But the exact steps are as follows - 

In the viewer (I'm using the latest Linden viewer), I click on Me > Profile > Edit Profile > Profile Picture > Choose File.  Which is where it falls down.

Here's a screencap that may help explain what I'm talking about:

Screen Shot 2014-03-11 at 12.35.21 PM.png

I just launched the SL Viewer and verified that the built-in browser does not recognize image files on my Mac. This is the behavior I recall from long ago. Firestorm's built-in browser does appear to work.

I always use Safari to edit my profile. If you're on a PC, you'd use IE (unless it gives you problems, it doesn't play well with SL's web properties), Firefox, Chrome etc. Using the browser of your choice, surf to this addess (you'll probably have to log-in with your SL credentials) and upload your profile picture there...

https://my.secondlife.com/settings/profile

ETA: It may not be clear that you are actually surfing my.secondlife.com with a skimpy built-in web browser when you edit your profile in-world. You are in-world, but your profile is on the web, and better accessed with a full featured web browser.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3691 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.