Can't login

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3695 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Did you read my original post??? I clearly stated I played the game a few years back, but its whatev, no big deal... Nothing I say matters as I've stated over and over and over that it's not a connection issue, firewall issue, or pc issue... and yes I have been on games with WAY better graphics so obviously my pc can handle it, try again...

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is what instantly pops up as soon as I type in my password and username (and yes they are correctly typed in). How I know its them and not me well for one I tried everything else and still it's the same literally... I'm using Windows 8, running on 8gigs of ram, and 1 whole terabyte for the hard drive, I'm using AMD Radeon HD 6670 Graphics Card, AMD FX-6100 Six-Core Processor 3.30 GHz, everything is fine on my end...uhhh.png

Wow. Hats off to Laskya, Marigold and Perrie for putting up with the attitude.

For the record, the only time I've ever seen the error message you finatlly got around to displaying is when I've typed my username or my password incorrectly. It's been pointed out that since you managed to log in here (using, obviously, the same username/password combo) that seems an unlikely explanation, but I thought I would at least mention that I have seen the error for the reason I described.

This is a forum/community of Second Life users. It is in no way responsible for or responsible to Linden Lab. The comments you get here are given by the graciousness of the people who want to respond.

Ya know I'm not gonna argue but I wasn't the only one with an attitude, as I said over and over time and time again it's not my pc and my info was typed in correctly... I appreciate the help that was given, but I feel as if the fingers are all pointing at me...

I'm not the only one with login issues, it's like because I can't get in and you guys can then automatically my pc is at fault or I'm just not smart enough... that's just sort of bogus to me...

I guess my "attitude" as you call it is merely from frustration from having to constantly repeat myself... then again getting laughed at and made fun of isn't helping too much either...

I'm pretty sure this game or "second life" could even run on dial up, so I'm positive my "wireless" can run it just fine, I mean my wireless is next to the router... I played SL before using a wireless router and I played just fine, in fact my wireless was a LOT farther away then it is now "currently" so that's definitely not an issue... There is a much deeper issue that needs to be addressed or at least looked further into, I have checked all of the links provided and I've tried it all and still nada...

MizzKittenzz wrote:

this is what instantly pops up as soon as I type in my password and username (and yes they are correctly typed in). How I know its them and not me well for one I tried everything else and still it's the same literally... I'm using Windows 8, running on 8gigs of ram, and 1 whole terabyte for the hard drive, I'm using AMD Radeon HD 6670 Graphics Card, AMD FX-6100 Six-Core Processor 3.30 GHz, everything is fine on my end...
uhhh.png

You are not connecting to the server.  Grid status is fine:

http://status.secondlifegrid.net/

Now, let's quote Sherlock Holmes,

""How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?"

IF you want some help, try these things.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Technical/login-failed-waiting-for-server-response/qaq-p/2057181

"There are a couple of things. First check your login location. Before attempting to login open Preferences. On the General tab look for Starting Location. To the right of that is a chice to Show at Login. Enable that. You will get a new field on the login screen.

Normally this is set to HOME or Last Location. But you can type in any region name. You can get destinations from the Destination Guide. Or you can try Pooley or Furball.

If your home region or last location region are off line you can get the error you see.

This error can also be from a poor internet connection. Don't think because your able to browse the net things are all OK. Nor will SpeedTest.net tell you the whole story. Read: Troubleshoot Your #SL Connection. This will help you figure out if the problem is you, the internet (your ISP), or the Lab's SL servers or network."

(That link is to Nalates Urriah's blog)

(You can also try the IEEE sim to login to, instead of the sim suggested above, it's a quiet sim)

::runs through and checks out all these magnificent specimens of gaming computers::  Nope, couldn't possibly be connection or user end... nope, has to be LL.  Don't mind me, I'm just runnin round inworld with my little way underpowered $300 Walmart laptop with wired connection via the slowest dang dsl service ever invented.    Maybe santa or the easter bunny will be nice and bring me the new ps I need for the monster machine sittin next to me.  :matte-motes-sarcasm:

Attitudes... yea... and I'm supposed to be the "Only" one with an attitude... right? Ya know what screw this game, I'm obviously not getting any help, instead all I'm getting is ridiculed over a piece of crap game that is not REAL LIFE... I'm being treated like trash over a game, a real person, a real human being treated like garbage because you all refuse to see or accept that the issue is NOT my PC or Internet! *Lightbulb* could it actually be an issue other then on my end?!!! *le gasp* Ya know if this is the help I'm gonna receive which is ridicule and rejection then forget it... I have a real life to attend to I don't have time for this...

PS. My husband has a masters degree in computers and technology he even knows the problem is NOTTTTT on my end!

MizzKittenzz wrote:

this is what instantly pops up as soon as I type in my password and username (and yes they are correctly typed in). How I know its them and not me well for one I tried everything else and still it's the same literally... I'm using Windows 8, running on 8gigs of ram, and 1 whole terabyte for the hard drive, I'm using AMD Radeon HD 6670 Graphics Card, AMD FX-6100 Six-Core Processor 3.30 GHz, everything is fine on my end...
uhhh.png

It still all points to a breakdown in communication. Its a common enough message that most of us will see from time to time.

Someone else has already suggested what you need to do - change your login start location.  If you still get the error message, try again, BUT it is absolutely essential that you have your computer plugged into the electricity.  Ideally you need to be also plugged into your router/modem.

Edited to add:

Also, if you have anything else running, such as a movie playing, close that window.

MizzKittenzz wrote:

Ya know I'm not gonna argue but I wasn't the only one with an attitude, as I said over and over time and time again it's not my pc and my info was typed in correctly... I appreciate the help that was given, but I feel as if the fingers are all pointing at me...

I'm not the only one with login issues, it's like because I can't get in and you guys can then automatically my pc is at fault or I'm just not smart enough... that's just sort of bogus to me...

I guess my "attitude" as you call it is merely from frustration from having to constantly repeat myself... then again getting laughed at and made fun of isn't helping too much either...

The laughter and being made fun of is all in your own head.  You're like a man drowning in a pool, refusing to take all the sticks that are on offer, because you believe people are beating you with them instead of shouting "grab a-hold".

You've been pursuing a solution to this problem now for quite a while, and are either happy at all the attention you're getting, or not happy with the responses offered, so now all the options open to you are (a) switch off and go away or (b) ask Linden Lab paid employees for some help.  To do the latter, click on "help" at the top of this screen, then on the next screen there is a menu, on the right hand side, with option to submit a support ticket. 

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

LaskyaClaren wrote:

Her suggestion that this is a "10 year old game" is accurate enough, I suppose, but obviously doesn't account for the degree to which it has changed.

I'm 43, and hope your statement works as analogy.

Absolutely. You've changed at least 4.3 times as much as SL.

And I bet you're much much less laggy than you used to be. :-)

LaskyaClaren wrote:

LaskyaClaren wrote:

Her suggestion that this is a "10 year old game" is accurate enough, I suppose, but obviously doesn't account for the degree to which it has changed.

Absolutely. You've changed at 
least
4.3 times as much as SL.

And I bet you're much 
much
less laggy than you used to be. :-)

What are you willing to bet?

Snugs McMasters wrote:

LaskyaClaren wrote:

LaskyaClaren wrote:

least
4.3 times as much as SL.

And I bet you're much 
much

My hypothesis is based upon the speed with which she can change accounts on the SL Forum. 

I stand by it. :-)

LaskyaClaren wrote:

Snugs McMasters wrote:

LaskyaClaren wrote:

LaskyaClaren wrote:

least
4.3 times as much as SL.

And I bet you're much 
much

My hypothesis is based upon the speed with which she can change accounts on the SL Forum. 

Snugs underestimates us.

LaskyaClaren wrote:

Snugs McMasters wrote:

LaskyaClaren wrote:

LaskyaClaren wrote:

least
4.3 times as much as SL.

And I bet you're much 
much

Snugs underestimates us.

It was my understanding that that was Snug's job.

MizzKittenzz wrote:

Attitudes... yea... and I'm supposed to be the "Only" one with an attitude... right? Ya know what screw this game, I'm obviously not getting any help, instead all I'm getting is ridiculed over a piece of crap game that is not REAL LIFE... I'm being treated like trash over a game, a real person, a real human being treated like garbage because you all refuse to see or accept that the issue is NOT my PC or Internet! *Lightbulb* could it actually be an issue other then on my end?!!! *le gasp* Ya know if this is the help I'm gonna receive which is ridicule and rejection then forget it... I have a real life to attend to I don't have time for this...

PS. My husband has a masters degree in computers and technology he even knows the problem is NOTTTTT on my end!

You're getting extremely defensive over something that should mean little to you.  If you don't want to play sl, because it's simply not living up to your expectations, it makes sense to simply walk away.  If, however, you do want to play sl, you need to check the attitude at the door.  You came out with an attitude before anyone even responded to you.  Your second post was putting the entire forum down, because no one had replied even though 39 people viewed.  It's entirely possibly the 39 who viewed simply could not help you.  Therefore, they didn't respond.  The amount of people that post on these forums is TINY compared to the whole of sl. There are not (typically) linden lab employees posting here in the general forum, it's merely residents.  When you ask for advice, you're asking everyday folks like yourself to help you troubleshoot.  You are bound to get responses that you don't like, and responses they don't apply to your case specifically. 

No one was making fun of you or ridiculing you.  You make a fool of your own self when you react the way you have.

Ok so the advice you got, you do not believe will work.  You do not believe it could possibly be on your end, or even a combination of a few things. I get that, and I understand that.  There is still no reason to react the way you are.  The reason people first look to the user, their connection, and their machine, is because the majority of the time that is exactly where the problem lies.  Like it or not, even the absolute best of machines, under the best of circumstances, can still have problems. That doesn't mean someone is blaming you or making fun of you. It means they are helping you get to the root of the problem.  Either accept the help, or don't. But if you choose not to, you should make that choice graciously, so that in the event you later want help, someone will actually be willing to do so. Your responses are far from gracious.

I have run sl on a varied lot of machines, personally. That includes everything from the best of the best, to the worst of the worse.  Oddly I had a connection issue with my best of the best pc, and rarely had it with the worst of the worst. Surely it had to be on ll's end and not mine, right? Wrong. I ran through all of the checklists possible, or so I thought anyway. I too got frustrated that my, obviously amazing pc, was not handling this application the way I expected it would.  It wasn't because of the system, or a glitch on their end. It was because of something I overlooked on MY end. But I was too busy being frustrated to notice. It's easy to do that, we are human after all.

What I did was re-run through every possible cause one at a time. I checked my connection-and took it off wireless temporarily. That didn't seem to be the issue this time, although it HAS been the issue for me before using a pc that by all intents and purposes should have had no issue-this IS the most likely culprit, and has nothing to do with how good your connection seems or how big and bad your pc is. Then I double checked my firewalls-that was not the issue. Then I double checked my password and username were typed successfully(that was the issue ONCE, lol, but not when I was having some huge issues, like you). Then I tried a different viewer-that did not seem to be the issue.  Then I tried one last thing, I changed my login location....and voila, it worked. Low and behold it was my fault all the time. Yep, mine. Not theirs, not my pc's, not my connection's, but mine.

Those may or may not be your issues, I don't know and I can't say. What I can say is you're not going to get any help when you immediately jump to defensive before anyone even says anything. Even if the suggestions you get ar enot helpful, and you don't want to keep repeating to everyone how not helpful they are.... you still shouldn't act that way. You came here for help, you. You asked for the help, you. People are trying to help you. Sure they may not all be able to do so, but a little appreciation goes a really long way.

Don't ever think the issues you may or may not have, just simply HAVE to be someone else's fault, that's just a terrible way to look at it. When you can't even see what may or may nt be right in front of your face, you're bound to miss important things. I know, because I did the same thing-except I didn't act rudely towards others trying to help me. Hence how I figured it out. Through the help of others. Had I been rude, I don't think I ever would have figured it out, they wou;d have given up trying to help and certainly there was no one at LL posting to try and help me, lol.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3695 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.