Sign in to follow this  
Vulpinus

Please rate my avatar (help a newbie out!)

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

Vulpinus wrote:

OK folks, here's what you've all been waiting for...

David Beckham's got nothing on me!

Snapshot_019a.jpg

Not sure the camera angle is the best, but it gives the idea. It makes the head-to-total height look higher that it is; the ratio is just a shade under 1:8

Odd... the skin colour comes out differently taking a photo - as if it's actually using a tungsten flash and washing out the reds. On my high-gamut montior it looks a little redder than those photos do.

No, it's not the 'flash'. It's something to do with the colour balancing in different applications, so I've no idea what it looks like on
your
monitor. Inworld, the photo I took and a screenshot loaded into Paintshop Pro all look identical but when I post them here and view in Firefox it looks different. with reduced red and more yelloe cast Hmm... Colour space is a complicated issue.

...it's Firefox! In IE, it looks the same as it does inworld etc.

Now you just need to save up for mesh feet.

and some mesh hands too.

Vulpinus wrote:

OK folks, here's what you've all been waiting for...

Snapshot_019a.jpg

Not sure the camera angle is the best, but it gives the idea. It makes the head-to-total height look higher that it is; the ratio is 1 : just-under-8

Odd... the skin colour comes out differently taking a photo - as if it's actually using a tungsten flash and washing out the reds. On my high-gamut montior it looks a little redder than those photos do.

No, it's not the 'flash'. It's something to do with the colour balancing in different applications, so I've no idea what it looks like on
your
monitor. Inworld, the photo I took and a screenshot loaded into Paintshop Pro all look identical but when I post them here and view in Firefox it looks different. with reduced red and more yelloe cast Hmm... Colour space is a complicated issue.

...it's Firefox! In IE, it looks the same as it does inworld etc.

*reaches for a tissue, turns her head so no one can see and wipes the tiny amount of drool from her chin* VERY nice look...

Vulpinus wrote:

Snapshot_019a.jpg

Oh Yeah.  Love the amount of muscle and that it's not so over-defined.

Lol, you are spending yourself right into the poorhouse.  So join the club, hee.  The Akeyo is an excellent, if pricey, AO.  I use one myself.  It's handy when you go to live performances or clubs and just want to dance in place too (not sure if yours has the dance option though) as you can just click dance on the hud and even invite others to dance with you.  I don't think it's necessary to always buy garments at Utopia.  Their style and quality is quite amazing, but there are some very good quality clothes for men on the market that won't break the bank such as Gizza.  Oh, and now you've wowed us with your fabulous physic too!  Well done *wink.  I'm not sure mesh hands and feet are absolutely necessary, but I'm probably a little uninformed on those as I haven't tried them.  The only problem with mesh is that when you go to a place like Franks or some of the other popular clubs, you will find the mesh doesn't appear for quite a while due to lag (too many people and scripts slow down the servers and/or your PC).  So there you are:  just a head with feet and hands.  If those are mesh, then you are just a dancing head or possibly an avatar but missing your feet or your hands.  I've been to popular live performances in sl and watched dancing heads through the entire performance because their mesh parts never did rez..  Very frustrating because you don't get to see if they are even attractive or not.  But, to each his own.  And I do know those male parts can be shockingly expensive depending on how elaborate (automatic hydraulics, piercings *ouch* etc) you want to get.  From personal ummm experience, I can ummm tell you that all the bells and whistles weren''t really necessary.  But don't go for the freebie type that you cannot modify to match your skin and cannot at least control movement with a menu.  Just a friendlly tip, in case you ever decide to explore the ummm "romantic" side of sl.  Oh, and check out Uncleweb Studio for hair.  If they are still making men's hair they have very nice short styles.  Possibly this: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Uwst-Hibiki-Hair-Natural-brown/5103893  (demo here: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Uwst-DEMO-Hibiki-Hair/5103880) or this: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Uwst-Dean-Hair-Natural-brown/5093730 (demo here:  https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Uwst-DEMO-Dean-Hair/5093723) or this: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Uwst-Nabiki-Hair-Natural-brown/5107427 (demo here: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Uwst-DEMO-Nabiki-Hair/5107433) or this: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Uwst-AL-Hair-Honey-beige/5089047  (demo here: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Uwst-DEMO-AL-Hair/5089018). They all include 3 sizes too.  Here is a link to the location in world:  http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Uwst/169/75/24. Hope you have fun discovering the endless sl possibilities. 

That seems to be popular then! Thanks all. I'm about finished with the general look and aren't the sort to change much, so this is it. Other than perhaps a few alternative hair styles and less-frequently-seen attachments.

@Loralinda, thanks for all those links, I'll check them out. I've found a couple of decent haircuts already than I'm considering. Need to watch the cash for a while* so I'm being more careful right now to pick just the right things.

I went around at one point pestering people inworld to say whether they prefered the current hair or the Chris hair from Redgrave. It was about 50:50, so obviously the one I've got is doing OK. I'll still probably get the other for an alternative look and perhaps a couple of others.

Hats are still an issue that I'll have to solve too.

As for the frinedly tip, well, one just has to have a friendly tip! Piercings down there though??? That makes my eyes water, no thanks! Aeros Magnus looks good but I'll need to save up. (I'll tell you, it feels really wierd at first shopping for some things...)

The notes about mesh, also scripts, etc, are well taken. I'll bear all of that in mind especially since I like Franks.

*Need to watch the pennies because I've just ordered myself a 6-axis controller. Got fed up of going the wrong way or nose-diving through the floor every time I try to look around. It'll come in handy for other stuff too though; I've wanted one for a while.

Mesh clothes is very popular because they don't sit so tight as the system layers. Added on sculpted attachments for lapels, cuffs and ties will never blend so good with the clothing layers. Here the mesh suit is to the left, system layers with sculpted add-ons in the middle, and a closeup of where the sculpts meet body to the right.

mesh suit compared to prims.jpg

A loose open shirt is especially good in mesh. But the tucked in tight shirt with sculpted rolled up sleeves isn't so bad? Well made and well textured clothes will still have their use.casual look.jpg

Pants in mesh is good because the SL avatar has a clumsy crotch area. Since the OP has visited Frank's and not seen "dancing heads" I assume rendering mesh is not a problem. It's impossible to know what others can render in SL or how fast and good their internet connection is, so I always wear what I like.... All my men wear mesh or nothing at all! :matte-motes-big-grin-evil:

Marianne Little wrote:

Mesh clothes is very popular because they don't sit so tight as the system layers. 

Since the OP has visited Frank's and not seen "dancing heads" I assume rendering mesh is not a problem. It's impossible to know what others can render in SL or how fast and good their internet connection is, so I always wear what I like.... All my men wear mesh or nothing at all! :matte-motes-big-grin-evil:

There might not be any non-mesh viewers available at present anyway.

Look into fitted mesh, as well as getting one's shape close or onto one of the standard sizes (only affects 8 or 9 of the many shape dials) - and you expand your options for what you can wear a lot.

The last viewer that did not support fitted mesh, Firestorm, was updated 2 days ago - so wearing fitted should also no longer be a concern.

Aye, I'm quickly learning about mesh etc. That started by buying a great shirt (all mesh) then not being able to use a similarly great leather coat with it that I paid a lot of L$ for, because the main body of that is on the jacket layer. D'oh! (btw: the coat didn't have a demo, but I liked it enough to take the risk, and still do even with the limitation).

Solution - buy another shirt that actually fits on the shirt layer! It's nice, but it's not quite a nice as the first.

As you say, each type has its place. I just need to learn what and when I can mix and match. Seems obvious now I know!

My fatpack of mesh 'classic' jeans from L&B look terrific - almost makes me look like I do in RL!

I've not had any other issues with clothing really, apart from another shirt that came in five sizes. Strangely, sometimes it fits me and sometimes my skin pokes through, even with the alpha layer on (might be a glitch, I don't know). Other than that I've been able to resize or move little bits on clothing to make everything work quite easily.

Vulpinus wrote:

Aye, I'm quickly learning about mesh etc. That started by buying a great shirt (all mesh) then not being able to use a similarly great leather coat with it that I paid a lot of L$ for, because the main body of that is on the jacket layer. D'oh! (btw: the coat didn't have a demo, but I liked it enough to take the risk, and still do even with the limitation).

Solution - buy another shirt that actually fits on the shirt layer! It's nice, but it's not quite a nice as the first.

As you say, each type has its place. I just need to learn what and when I can mix and match. Seems obvious now I know!

My fatpack of mesh 'classic' jeans from L&B look terrific - almost makes me look like I do in RL!

I've not had any other issues with clothing really, apart from another shirt that came in five sizes. Strangely, sometimes it fits me and sometimes my skin pokes through, even with the alpha layer on (might be a glitch, I don't know). Other than that I've been able to resize or move little bits on clothing to make everything work quite easily.

Howdy handsome :)

If you run into any *coughs ermmm ''issues'', just shot me a IM.. I am not much inworld at the moment but I do get them sent to my mail, so I can answer offline... If I can help, I will be glad too....

(just dont mind the staring, drolling and uhmm.. well... I cant (wont) vouce for my A.O'.s flirty behaviour)

But on a more serious note.. I am a clothing and skin designer, and do make male clothes from time to time (both mesh and systemclothing), so if I can help with anything let me know..

About the Alphalayer:

Try to take the alpha layer off and add it back on after the clothing... Dont wear it, but add it (rightclick in inventory on it and Add) that often helps... Other times maybe the alpha is simply not good enough, so its recomended to try out other alphas you have in inventory that is simular...

I just found a new skin store, it's new for me not a new store, Nivaro. They have awesome skins in a variety of styles and shades. They also have the appliers for slink feet and hands. Womens skins too.

This is the Emerson skin in Summertone.

new look_001.jpg

The difference in Drakes mesh feet compared to default is striking. Mesh hands, well, maybe. The worst part is the feet on the avatar. I point out how the mesh breaks and is deformed. If you like to spend time on SL beaches, you will look much better with mesh feet.

feet.jpg

I took some quick images in default lightning and no postprosessing on the images... cropping and placing them in a collage of course, but no cosmetic work. ;) These feet is textured with Slink feet appliers, and the match is close to invisible. You need to zoom in and know the seam is there to see it.

Mesh feet is expensive. The sandals in lower images is cheap, only 99L in the March round of The Mens Department. They include sandals for Slink feet and default feet, and you see that they almost save the default feet from looking ugly. Almost.

Hands... well, male models, male bloggers and roleplayers might be the first who get mesh hands. They look much better in closeups. Even the unedited image to the left show that I don't have to work with cloning and other tools to fix the hands. I mainly work with improving the light.

12874291583_cb37537e21_z.jpg

A big advantage is that it's possible to wear different tattoos on the mesh hands. This one has "Love" on one hand and "Hate" on the other. That is why I think roleplayers can like this, it's possible to add more details as part of a backstory.