Please rate my avatar (help a newbie out!)

Vulpinus

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3693 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

LOL, thank you for that. Looking pretty hot yourself there!

I'm leaning towards that one myself - it looks even better inworld. It feels more 'me', which is what I'm trying to acheive rather than a different persona. The other one was perhaps me five years ago.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2nd one is much better! (Aurick?) It doesn't have the run of the mill looks that half of SL runs around with. EMOtions has some great male hairs if you want to check them out. 90% of my bf's hair comes from there lol. Aeros also makes some really nice skins too, though you'll have to be very careful as copybotters are going nuts on the market right now and he's one of the ones who's copybotted. His skins run around 2k L, but are really, really worth it. Again, my bf uses them and so, so nice looking, especially with well done shapes. 

Oh, and since several already welcomed you to SL, welcome to the addiction that is Avatar modding/and clothing! :3

They both look good.  I agree the first one looks younger because the cheeks/jaw looks more rounded while the second's looks more chiseled.   It's funny the first one is called David because the second one looks a lot like David Beckham to me.

Welcome to SL.

Vulpinus wrote:

OK, nearly there now... well, it's a big decision and I want to get it mostly right from the start. Once I've sorted this, I can actually get on being in SL. Frank's is calling...

Which is better, the last photo I posted (Cahi David shape) or this one (Tellaq Aurick shape)?

I haven't tweaked the Aurick version and the hair needs a little adjustment but it gives the idea I might end up changing the hair anyway, not sure yet. Plenty of barbers around though.

I'm struggling to make my mind up. Funny but the Aurick face seems to look better to me when walking around, but I can't seem to capture that in a photo.

It's between these two, cast your votes now. I know it's what I like myself at the end of the day that matters, but advice is always welcome.

Snapshot_015a.jpg

Basically, the second option (Aurick) seems to me to be a bit more mature-looking and rugged and the first one a bit younger.

Please please please make the eyes open a bit more. People dont walk around with tiny eyes. It is one of my biggest complaints with the "new" set of body shapes that has come out recently.

I would also bet $5L that shape is over 7 feet tall. Another pet peeve of mine. Personally I love being called a chiold av at 6' 4" tall by the 8 foot manager or the 7' 6" dancer..

And please, make sure your body is proportional. Hand and arms at the correct length and make sure your head isn't a teeny, tiny pinprick. LOL. Also, PLEASE invest in a good AO. Shop around and find one that doesn't make you look like you have bugs up your ass. Other then what others have said, you look great! AND...do invest in some decent hair and some mesh clothing. If you need any help, please IM me inworld and i'll be more then happy to do what I can.

Syo Emerald wrote:

Am I the only one who thinks he looks like David Beckham?

Nope not at all.... heeehee *smiless.. David is a handsome fella....

Studio09 also mentioned him up in a comment..

Its actually impressiv how much the second one looks like him...

Well to be honest... then this Madam dont mind David's all around *grinss.. Just bring em to the table... LOL

(I'll be good and behave now *goes to sit in my corner)

Shape can be a strage thing when being new to SL.. You made a good choice in buying one to tweak, instead of starting out with making your own.. It takes time to get the hang on if.. I remember one of (MANY) first mistakes that I made myself as new was with my shape and the proportions. My partner was over twice as big as me. I had short arms and tiny hands, long torso and huge 'headlights' on em.... I found a picture!!! LOL

Today I am skin designer. I used to make custom skins, but I always told my customers that me and shape-making is no match made in heaven.. Its been a issue a couple times, as a custom skin is nothing without a shape that fits the skin and is the exate perpouse of the skin...

But as I understand it, then this is a brought shape that you are just tweeking on, yes? I can only speak for myself, but ME LIKESSS

B@zz also have some fine male short hairs (Not sure I type their name right)

My first lill miss madam martian... (back in 2008)

madammartian2-2.jpg

Edited to try and makebelieve that I can actually spell.... (me no english.) :P

OMG - I've created David Beckham! I knew it reminded me of someone after I had finished tweaking the face.

Yes, number 2 was over 7 feet tall and a little tiny-headed - it wasn't once I had finished tweaking. I'll probably tweak further as the mood takes me but it's certainly better already that I started. The eyes are on the to-do list. I wore the Aurick demo shape for a while (no silly features but not mod'able) and the height and eyes were the two main things I wanted to change.

As an ex real* bodybuilder I'm quite concerned about my shape. I still train but only a litlle, a couple of injuries mean I have to limit it. *By real, I mean I trained for true total-body fitness and strength, not just trying to get bigger biceps and more rips that everyone else.

I'm not very artistic, but I'll get there now I've got the basic start that I wanted. Perhaps I should put an old pic of mine next to the monitor... that's not a bad idea!

I'm using the Akeyo-NanoAO-Rookie now, thanks to Sassy, and I've spent over L$4500 on clothes, mostly formal stuff (I like Frank's and similar places) but I do need more casual stuff, and better shoes (just got some I'm about to try).

Other than that, I'm going to hang on to the L$3000 I have left until I've got a bit more time inworld. Probably. Unless I see a bargain...

I really apprecaite the welcome and help that everyone has given me!

Looks like I'm about done here; everyone has been really helpful, thanks!

I went though Pussycat Catnip's blog on anatomical proportions, and found that the shape (to which I had already made small tweaks to torso and legs) was already almost exact. I had to make the arms longer and hands larger, and it does look better for it. Height is currently 6'8 (2.04m) but I get the impression that's on the short side for SL... we'll see.

Also made some minor tweaks to the facial features and opened the eyes up so it doesn't look like he's got a serious hangover.

I'll carry on looking at hair - got a lot of demos to work through.

Look out SL, here I come!

Nice job.  Definitely an improvement over the first avatar.  Yes, he resembles David Beckham, but that's a good thing I think.  David Beckham is a hunk, hehe.  Hopefully you will invest in an AO (animation overrider) which will allow your avatar to move in a more human way, giving you graceful standing positions, moving you about as you are standing and giving you a natural male swagger rather than the stick figure waddle that the default avis come with.  There are some pretty good AOs here under the shopping tab in the "Marketplace".  Just click on Animations category on the left and then look for animation overriders.  Some are very reasonable, much more so than the ones you find inworld.  There is nothing more telltale as to how new an avi is than the stiff legged waddle and nothing more off putting to those of us who have been around a bit longer (speaking from a female observing the male avatars that is).  Anyway, good luck!

Thanks!

At the mo I using the Akeyo_NanoAO_Rookie; I might invest more in that area later. My PP account is well aquainted with the marketplace, lol. (I top up my L$ with PP, then go shopping).

Funny thing about the David Beckham resemblance; I'm not exactly a football fan and am only really vaguely aware of what he looks like... but when I compared the two newer avatars and before the comments I suddenly thought that the first of the two looked like him, not the second. I must remember him much younger than he is now.

Obviously the skin is called David for a reason... as is the first shape. I didn't even think of it when I bought them.

I have often been told in RL that I resemble an apparently famous boxer, but I've no idea who he is and can't remember the name.

Oh well, I'm certainly happy with the one I've settled on, even if I do look Beckhamish. I've just bought some really good blue eyes to replace the aweful freebies I was using. NoirOptix - Midnight Blue. Makes a huge difference already. Then I bought a pack of Aviator sunglasses to hide them behind...  <insert puzzled smilie here>

The hair's growing on me. The only issue I have is that I have a few hats and the hair can only be simply resized, so it either sticks through the hat or I look otherwise silly. I'll keep my (new blue) eyes open for something similar, when my PP account has recovered a little.

Snapshot_017a.jpg

Vulpinus wrote:

Looks like I'm about done here; everyone has been really helpful, thanks!

I went though Pussycat Catnip's blog on anatomical proportions, and found that the shape (to which I had already made small tweaks to torso and legs) was already almost exact. I had to make the arms longer and hands larger, and it does look better for it. Height is currently 6'8 (2.04m) but I get the impression that's on the short side for SL... we'll see.

Lets see a full body shot.

The Akeyo AO HUD is, IMO, the best HUD for an AO out there. I use their blank HUD with animations I compile from all over the place for myself and alts.

If no one mentioned it yet, FATE is a great fashion brand for men. Damian FATE is part of the coldlogic team but also has his own for men shop.

- Oh and FATE's stuff seems to range in the formal and business casual side mostly if I remember right. But its been a while as I only end up in there when curious. He also makes amazing mesh eyes...

The hair/hat thing is a pretty common concern in SL. Imagine if you also had to hide the ears (as a neko I set the ears to 0, but they still show as little distorted bumps). Some shops like BooN sell portions of hair you aseemble - and that can be used to put together everything around a hat. Discord Designs might also do that, not sure.

I think the dark version of that is on my shortlist - I've not got around to checking the lighter shades yet, but I will. Redgrave seems to have some decent stuff.

Just tried a few - the caramel version looks pretty good, once I moved it around a little. Might have found a winner. By the looks of it I can edit individual parts of the hair too, which might help with the hat issue.

Thanks for that!

OK folks, here's what you've all been waiting for...

David Beckham's got nothing on me!

Snapshot_019a.jpg

Not sure the camera angle is the best, but it gives the idea. It makes the head-to-total height look higher that it is; the ratio is 1 : just-under-8

Odd... the skin colour comes out differently taking a photo - as if it's actually using a tungsten flash and washing out the reds. On my high-gamut montior it looks a little redder than those photos do.

No, it's not the 'flash'. It's something to do with the colour balancing in different applications, so I've no idea what it looks like on your monitor. Inworld, the photo I took and a screenshot loaded into Paintshop Pro all look identical but when I post them here and view in Firefox it looks different. with reduced red and more yelloe cast Hmm... Colour space is a complicated issue.

...it's Firefox! In IE, it looks the same as it does inworld etc.

Vulpinus wrote:

OK folks, here's what you've all been waiting for...

David Beckham's got nothing on me!

Snapshot_019a.jpg

Not sure the camera angle is the best, but it gives the idea. It makes the head-to-total height look higher that it is; the ratio is just a shade under 1:8

Odd... the skin colour comes out differently taking a photo - as if it's actually using a tungsten flash and washing out the reds. On my high-gamut montior it looks a little redder than those photos do.

No, it's not the 'flash'. It's something to do with the colour balancing in different applications, so I've no idea what it looks like on
your
monitor. Inworld, the photo I took and a screenshot loaded into Paintshop Pro all look identical but when I post them here and view in Firefox it looks different. with reduced red and more yelloe cast Hmm... Colour space is a complicated issue.

...it's Firefox! In IE, it looks the same as it does inworld etc.

Now you just need to save up for mesh feet.

Yeah, I've come across those toe (too). There's also erm, male parts too I've discovered...

I'm after a pack of jeans from L&B next though, just demoing them now. I need more casual stuff as at the moment I've enough formal outfits to last a year!

Vulpinus wrote:

Yeah, I've come across those toe (too). There's also erm,
male
parts too I've discovered...

I'm after a pack of jeans from L&B next though, just demoing them now. I need more casual stuff as at the moment I've enough formal outfits to last a year!

HOLD IT!!! You joined SL and that wasn't the first thing you bought?!?!?! What kind of male are you? Dude, you are seriously setting some new high standards for SL men here... Might have to look into assassination costs.

LOL! Well, what can I say? I was so awestruck at some of the beauties in Frank's that I sort of just gazed in dumbstruck amazement. It took a few minutes before I noticed, or rather didn't notice, something that would normally have been going on down there! I'll get it sorted soon though.

As to assassination costs, no-one's asked what I do for a living yet... all these outfits from Utopia, Class-A etc don't come cheap you know. A fellow has to eat!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3693 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.