Please rate my avatar (help a newbie out!)

Vulpinus

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3687 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Edit: The guy immediately below (I've left the original post intact) has now paid a fortune for cosmetic surgery, and at the moment appears like the bottom photo...

Second Edit: Changed the last picture to the final result. The younger guy got binned in preference for someone who looks like he's a little more experienced,

I'm trying to get a good look (who isn't???). I don't mind spending a little money on a shape/skin if I need to.

I really want the avatar to be a little like me, with improvements. I used to bodybuild (I'm a qualified advanced fitness instructor) but I never liked the over-developed muscle-bound shapes. I prefer a smoother but still strong, broad-chested look. I should probably add that I'm male... lol. There's a real photo of me on my SL profile.

This is what I have so far, based on the Aurick Avatar by TELLAQ (shape only, I don't like the skins) and the freebie Michael Photorealistic Skin that I picked up somewhere.

I'm tempted to try either "Cahi Store - David" or "Bad@zz - MALE SHAPE "Charge"" from the marketplace, but neither offer a sample shape and I don't have much money left to waste.

Other suggestions are welcome. So, what do folks think of what I have so far?

Snapshot_007a.jpg

Final result - this is me:

Snapshot_017a.jpg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You've got an eye for detail, that'll help you. I do mean these criticisms constructively - they might be things you're not aware of or haven't considered.

One thing tho, the Michael skin is very distinctive, and well-known as a freebie. It's also been over-used by low investment users (admittedly, usually bald ones) for the last 3 years or more. Everyone probably knows a dozen users using this skin - it's common, uninteresting (especially away from the face), and shows none of your underlying character.

You're also still using default eyes.

Both features will get noticed. Personally I equate both features to people who don't really care about their avatar, or otherwise don't understand the potential for variation within SL. Suggest that if you're wanting not to invoke this in others, look (or make! None of your avatar is self-made, and this is sad) for something a little less, well, common. :P

Sorry to sound like a grump!

You've done pretty well so far. :) I'd vote for "David by Cahi Store". They DO have a demo, but it's not sold on the marketplace. You can try it inworld as it's mentioned in the MP ad: *** THE DEMO OF SHAPE IS ONLY INWORD STORE ***

Remember your final look will very much depend on the skin you'll wear. You may have a look at Redgrave (wonderful shapes and skins, especially "Tyler") and also visit Unique Megastore: lots of great male avatars' choice.

What you should improve, in my opinion is your hair. Once again, I'll mention Tyler by Redgrave. But you may check thousands on the MP.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/products/search?search%5Bcategory_id%5D=320&search%5Bkeywords%5D=men+hair&search%5Bmaturity%5D%5B%5D=General&search%5Bmaturity%5D%5B%5D=Moderate&search%5Bmaturity%5D%5B%5D=Adult&search%5Bpage%5D=1&search%5Bper_page%5D=96

Always try a demo first when it's available! Personally, I NEVER buy a shape, skin or hair wich does not provide a demo. Not only you can be sure of your choice, but you're saving money... ;)

I bet you'll become a Casanova in no time and come back with pics of the new sexy you! :D

I like what you think about the shape. You have good ideas, and I agree that you should not buy shapes without a demo. I think the shape you have now is modifiable, that means you can change it yourself. When you edit your shape, use the "Save as" instead of "Save". This way, you keep the original shape intact and can go back to it and start over if you should wish.

But now to the skin and hair. You wear the most common freebie skin and hair for men in Second Life. They are both from 2006 or 07, and used again and again. Choosing another hair and skin will make you appear more original and unique. 

A little money is a bit hard to work with. Can you spend §L 10 or 500... that is a big difference. I understand that you have a budget, and we have a thread here that you should read, it is at least 2 male looks there. http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Your-Avatar/Looking-For-A-Good-Avatar-below-L-50/td-p/2472115

If you can use a few hundred and up to a thousand, I suggest some mesh clothing. It is a monthly sale called The Mens Dept. that you can look to and see if you find something to wear. http://seraphimsl.com/category/the-mens-dept/

But this is not really cheap, you can find better deals on the Marketplace when you sort by price. Be critical and look at the textures and the shape of the clothes. Newer mesh is much better than mesh from 2011. You can use a search word or a combination of words, then pick what you are willing to pay, and sort from new to old. And demo first, you can't afford to buy things that look better in the ad then inworld. ;)

Guys have a harder time on a budget here than gals. No two ways about that.

If you don't have much money to spend then the other choice is to spend TIME - finding great things in groups or on hunts. There are a few places where you can get group gift skin for guys. Akeruka is one and there is usually a free (one linden vendor) skin up in the shop in the back on a big board. It changes from time to time. Sometimes the group join fee is off for a few days. If the skin looks good (and sometimes there is a demo of the skin on the main boards) then it would be your best bet for "free" skin - even with a join fee.

Skin Fair opens in a few days and there are some stellar skins for guys there. Even if you don't buy, trying on the demos to get an idea of what works for you would be good. With some effort (more lately than in the past) you can collect crystals over at the Realms to earn money. Fairly painless *wink*.

For hair -- again group gifts are very good. Alli&Ali has free hair each week by the voting board. Now and then there is a great one. It just depends on your style.

Belleza skins' group gives a few free skins for male. Joining fee is 250 ld. Not sure if it goes beyond your budget, but in any case, these skins are really good

Amacci suscribo (or group) gives free eyes. They do look pretty well, and you can join the group for free. I don't have the landmarks for those stores, but they are easy to find in search

There's also a store in marketplace, called Electric feel. They have male clothes priced 30 to 50 LD most of them. Despite their affordable prices, they make  some good stuff

If I can recall more quality cheap or free stuff, I'll post again

Have fun creating your  look!

Thanks for the replies everyone - I don't object at all to constructive critisism. Let's face it, I'm a typical bloke with probably even less than usual fashion sense, lol.

First thoughs: Don't want to look like a walking freebie, lol.

@ Valerie Inshan, I wish I could find the store - can you point me to it? I checked out the link to the inworld store before, but it takes me to some place called "slightly dramatic creations". The owner was kind enough to give me a free shape and skin though! (must have really taken pity on me...) I've searched and been given the same incorrect link. I even found the store's facebook page, with a link to another location that wasn't correct (but next door to the previous place). Felt like following a spam trail.

Sorry I was vague about 'little money'. At the moment I'm really struggling with glitches (forced log-outs when I transport etc) so I'm reluctant to invest too much yet. Let's say a budget of another US$15 (around L$4000 I think) to start off.

I've already spent about L$4000 on clothes; outfits from Utopia, 69 Park Avenue and Class A. Plus so many freebies that I started binning many yesterday. I should have started spending on the body I suppose.

I had seen the Redgrave Tyler stuff, and it is another that I shortlisted. I'll take a closer look; If I can slightly modify the chin, it might be the winner.

The Auric (demo)shape I am wearing is not modifyable, and the advert says it does not have that permission. I wonder if that really means just the skin, as not being able to modify the body seems a bit tough. I suppose I need to ask.

On the topic of modifying, I spent a few hours trying to do a face on another shape that I liked, and it looked aweful so I gave up. I have no (really, no) artistic tallent. I'm a scientist by nature!

The hair? But I liked the hair! lol. I've always had short hair (it looks stupid if I grow it) so I fancied a change. I'll take a look at the suggestions and find something else though.

The skin fair sounds a good plan, as do the group gifts.

On a seperate note - I keep getting a white dot above my head. Sometimes it's there, sometimes it isn't. I can appear after I teleport sometimes. It floats perhaps a metre directly over my avatar, I can't tell that it is attached to anything and I can't click it, and it does not show up in photographs (I tried to photo it). It's annoying! Anyone know how I can stop it?

"On a seperate note - I keep getting a white dot above my head. Sometimes it's there, sometimes it isn't. I can appear after I teleport sometimes. It floats perhaps a metre directly over my avatar, I can't tell that it is attached to anything and I can't click it, and it does not show up in photographs (I tried to photo it). It's annoying! Anyone know how I can stop it?"

That would be the 'voice dot.'  It means that you have voice enabled in your preferences.  I run Singularity (I have no clue about the official or the v3 versions) and you can turn off voice by going to Edit > Preferences > Voice and unchecking the enable box.  The reason you see it at times and not at others is that not all parcels or Sims have voice enabled via the land.  Voice can be a great tool once you settle in and find a great group of friends.  My family uses voice all around me - I'm the odd one out and only type, but I do listen in.

Have fun on your quest to individualize yourself!

Thank you Panther Miklos!

I tried searching for help about it but didn't find anything. Now I know.

I have another question about the shapes... If I modify a shape that is in an outfit, does it just modify the shape when used in that outfit, or permanently whenever I use that shape? I'm guessing the latter.

In which case, I should make a copy of the shape (if that's allowed) and modify the copy...

Hi again Vulpinus. I am sorry the link to Cahi Store is broken. I would suggest you message the owner: IgoorTroncon, and ask for a correct landmark or SLUrl. 

About Redgrave Tyler, i've checked: the shape is modify so no problem if you want to edit the chin (or anytthing else...:))

Finally, the white dot is there because you have 'voice chat' enabled in 'Preferences'. Turning this off will make it disappear. The fact that it's not showing in certain places is because that specific sim has voice disabled. 

Thanks again. I've messaged the owner; awaiting a reply.

I think I prefer the Cahi David, but I've just got the demo of Tyler, so I'll stop typing here and go and check it out.

...and no more white dot, lol. It had me well puzzled!

Vulpinus wrote:

I have another question about the shapes... If I modify a shape that is in an outfit, does it just modify the shape
when used in that outfit
, or permanently whenever I use that shape? I'm guessing the latter.

The shape is an asset that you should be able to make a copy of, if you can't, throw it away and get one that you can!

You can think of all of the parts of what you wear as individual items, you can mix and match but what some might prefer is to create a folder within inventory of all the things that make up an outfit such that you have all the clothes plus skin and shape etc. in the same place.  Then you can wear the content of that folder.  The viewer has a feature to help with this such that you can easily save an outfit.

Further on shapes, if you start wearing mesh items, they are typically made to suit some "standard" sizes so you might want to investigate that early and pick a shape that allows you to wear most mesh items without problems.  Some of us are very invested in our shapes as defining our look and refuse or are at least highly reluctant to change just to allow some clothing to fit but you're new, it's easier to adapt the other way around.  Look on Marketplace for the standard sizing package.  (Mesh is a method of making 3D objects which has been with us for a little while now but is still in the "new" mindset.  There is a method for mesh clothing to fit more automatically but that's in the exceptionally new stage and there's still a lot of "old" mesh out there which is why I suggested what I did.

You also mentioned regular failed teleports.  Although this is less of an issue more recently, it used to be mostly caused by wearing items with too many scripts.  Various things have influenced change but a lot of the freebie stuff out there will be very old and won't be taking advantage of newer scripting methods that mean an item might only need one script instead of 200.

In short, all of the state of those scripts and their variables are suspended and transferred to the next region, which then has to instantiate the scripts, pull in all the variables again and recommence execution.  You can pretty much guarantee that getting naked means no failed teleports but load up with several hundred scripts and try to teleport to a busy place can often mean a failed teleport.

Finally, "Welcome to Second Life!"

(PS - Definitely lose that skin and hair, it's hard for girls to know which "Steve" we bumped pixels with when you all look the same!) :matte-motes-wink-tongue:

Well, I took a risk on buying the Cahi David shape - I'm well unimpressed. What wasn't mentioned was that to get the look in the picture requires the purchase of a L$1500 skin from elsewhere!!!

I'll admit that with the demo of that skin, it does look good, but I feel really conned right now!

We live and learn I suppose :smileysad:

Vulpinus wrote:

Well, I took a risk on buying the Cahi David shape - I'm well
unimpressed
. What wasn't mentioned was that to get the look in the picture requires the purchase of a L$1500 skin from elsewhere!!!

I'll admit that with the demo of that skin, it does look good, but I feel really conned right now!

We live and learn I suppose :smileysad:

Good male skins will run between 1000 and 1800. That is the price we pay to look this good. However, Like someone said, Beleeza has a group gift for men of 3 or 4 skins and skin tones, all for a group join fee of 250. A very cheap cost indeed.

Yeah, I thought about that a litte after my initial shock and previous posting. I was actually about to edit it before anyone saw it, but I'll leave it alone and just say this:

Having tweaked 'David' a little, wearing the demo skin, I'm going to pony up the cash and buy it. You're right, that seems about the going rate for skins. I looked at one demo an hour ago and liked it, until I saw the price of the full skin - L$7000!

So, I'm off to the shops again!

Well, it is hard for the shape creator to mark it better.... the ad says:

1 - Shape - David

2 - David Eyebrow

3 - Stylecard with landmark of skin, hair, eyes, clothers etc..

* See other shapes from my store *

*** THE DEMO OF SHAPE IS ONLY INWORD STORE ***

So this is what you get. The demo was available if you followed the teleport? I am happy that you liked it so well that you bought the skin, all is well that ends well!

The demo wasn't available because none of the links to the inworld store worked. They all took me somewhere else, even the facebook page links.

But yes, it worked out in the end; I just didn't think it would cost that much at first.

Vulpinus wrote:

I have another question about the shapes... If I modify a shape that is in an outfit, does it just modify the shape
when used in that outfit
, or permanently whenever I use that shape? I'm guessing the latter.

In which case, I should make a copy of the shape (if that's allowed) and modify the copy...

When you modify your shape, it is not the same as modifying your outfit. The shape is seperate.

After you modify your shape, you can choose SAVE AS and rename it. The new modified shape will save by itself as a new and different version of the original shape.

You can then create outfits (any combination of outfits), use any shape that you want with that outfit and save an outfit that includes that specific shape. The combinations are endless.

To re-cap:

You can save an outfit with any shape that you choose. You just put the shape that you want with any outfit that you want. You can have different outfits with different versions of the same shape. Saving a shape is seperate from saving an outfit. You can save any modified version of your shape. You can save any combination of outfits which can include any combination of shapes, skins, hair, eyes, etc... that you want.

In addition: You don't have to buy different shapes. You can get ONE modifiable shape and modify/edit it to your preferences as many times as you need. It just takes a good eye for detail and patience. Also keep in mind that you should modify your shape in accordance with mesh standard sizes, if you want to be able to wear rigged or non-rigged mesh clothes. Even if you modify your shape to these standard sizes, you may still have to tweek certain parts of your avatar shape depending on the outfit. It all depends.

MEN

M – Medium

• Body Fat: 5
  • Belly Size: 3
  • Torso Muscle: 51
  • Love Handles: 28
  • Leg Muscle: 61
  • Butt Size: 55
  • Saddle Bags: 31
  • Package: 31
  • Pectorals: 27

L – Large

• Body Fat: 13
  • Belly Size: 9
  • Torso Muscle: 72
  • Love Handles: 35
  • Leg Muscle: 76
  • Butt Size: 65
  • Saddle Bags: 49
  • Package: 49
  • Pectorals: 10

XL – Extra Large

• Body Fat: 22
  • Belly Size: 14
  • Torso Muscle: 88
  • Love Handles: 42
  • Leg Muscle: 85
  • Butt Size: 73
  • Saddle Bags: 56
  • Package: 56
  • Pectorals: 1

Thanks LoriLexa, that helps.

Below is what I have so far - the clothes need tweaking. They fit perfectly on the previous shape. I'm using the hair that came with the skin until I decide to keep it or change it.

One problem I'm having is that all the shirts I put on from different outfits look grey instead of white. It's obvious in the photo compared to the white collar. Any ideas why?

Snapshot_011a.jpg

Vulpinus wrote:

Thanks LoriLexa, that helps.

Below is what I have so far - the clothes need tweaking. They fit perfectly on the previous shape. I'm using the hair that came with the skin until I decide to keep it or change it.

One problem I'm having is that all the shirts I put on from different outfits look
grey instead of white
. It's obvious in the photo compared to the white collar. Any ideas why?

Snapshot_011a.jpg

Thats a lighting issue. The collar is rim with fullbright on and the shirt is system layer clothing. Change your lighting settings and that should fix it.

OK, nearly there now... well, it's a big decision and I want to get it mostly right from the start. Once I've sorted this, I can actually get on being in SL. Frank's is calling...

Which is better, the last photo I posted (Cahi David shape) or this one (Tellaq Aurick shape)?

I haven't tweaked the Aurick version and the hair needs a little adjustment but it gives the idea I might end up changing the hair anyway, not sure yet. Plenty of barbers around though.

I'm struggling to make my mind up. Funny but the Aurick face seems to look better to me when walking around, but I can't seem to capture that in a photo.

It's between these two, cast your votes now. I know it's what I like myself at the end of the day that matters, but advice is always welcome.

Snapshot_015a.jpg

Basically, the second option (Aurick) seems to me to be a bit more mature-looking and rugged and the first one a bit younger.

Vulpinus wrote:

OK, nearly there now... well, it's a big decision and I want to get it mostly right from the start. Once I've sorted this, I can actually get on being in SL. Frank's is calling...

Which is better, the last photo I posted (Cahi David shape) or this one (Tellaq Aurick shape)?

I haven't tweaked the Aurick version and the hair needs a little adjustment but it gives the idea I might end up changing the hair anyway, not sure yet. Plenty of barbers around though.

I'm struggling to make my mind up. Funny but the Aurick face seems to look better to me when walking around, but I can't seem to capture that in a photo.

It's between these two, cast your votes now. I know it's what I like myself at the end of the day that matters, but advice is always welcome.

Snapshot_015a.jpg

Basically, the second option (Aurick) seems to me to be a bit more mature-looking and rugged and the first one a bit younger.

Whistlessss well hallowdy Mister... *winks... Me LIKES... ;)

I like this one best cause it looks more mature, but I do like the other one as well..

I gotta say you got a good taste *giggles

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3687 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.