Fitted Mesh Issue

Annie Melson

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3699 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've got a rigged mesh pair of pants that I have weighted to the collision bones for the new fitted mesh. I've got experience working in Blender and AvaStar rigging and weighting the old method as well as the Liquid Mesh method before Fitted Mesh came out. I've not had problems with rigging and weighting in the past so I'm assuming this is a fitted mesh issue. The problem is that the joints are appearing disjointed at the knees. I've checked my rotations and weighting and all appears as it should. The mesh was created using the default SL avatar in the T-pose, so the bones are aligned with the mesh as it should be. I'm uploading the mesh the way I have always uploaded it. Does anyone know what could be causing this disjointedness at the joints? Thank you! :)

Disjointed-Fitted-Mesh.jpg

[edit]: after re reading your question i suspect that all you need is updating to the newest avastar version as indicated below

I found similar issues when i worked with a non default shape in Avastar. Here is what might (possibly) help:

• Update to Avastar-1008 or newer (from the testversions folder).
  • Create a default Avastar
  • Adjust your pants to the default Avastar!
  • "Attach to Armature" in the skinning pannel (on the tool shelf)
  • Use the "Fitted Mesh" Preset button (in the same pannel)
  • Attach sliders (in the same pannel)
  • Update the Avastar shape to your personal shape (Load shape in the Armature's Object properties panel)
  • Now you can see if the problem still exists. In that case you possibly can improve the weights (You currently have to use the Refresh button (in the same panel) to recalculate the shape after applying the weight changes.

It is important to adjust the mesh to the default Avastar character and add the personal shape after you have attached the pants to the armature!

BTW: When working on attachments for both genders, i found that switching between male and female during the skinning process does not work well with fitted mesh (although i thought the technique could handle this case). I am not sure if that is a flaw in Avastar or in the Fitted Mesh in general. Maybe it is anyways better to create 2 versions of your attachments in that case.

I hope that helps to get your pants improved.

• Like 1

Red poly, I don't think it's the same thing, though I can see why you would think so. :) My picture makes it look that way. I took the pic while the avatar was animated in a very wild dance, just to show the issue better. So the one leg looks funky because of the animation. It also makes it look like a bow legged problem, like  jira you linked. Sorry about that. The joints are not bow legged in my issue. I should have said to look at just the left leg at the knee joint and see how it seems to have slid off the joint a bit. It's a solid looking cut, not jagged or sloppy. For example, take two cylinders and stack them on top of each other, then slide the bottom cylinder out just a bit. That's what it looks like. Both knee joints look like this.

Gaia, these pants were made to fit on the default avastar avatar. I didn't make it to fit a custom shape... I don't see how that could be causing this particular problem I'm having since I'm not trying to fit it to a custom shape or even a custom pose, but maybe I misunderstood what you mean... Any other ideas?

I was afraid you were going to say that. :( I'm going to try a few more things to fix it. Have there been a lot of issues since the release of fitted mesh? Could it be that LL released Fitted Mesh too soon? Just wondering if I ought to hold off and stick to the standard sizes until the kinks are worked out, if there are indeed kinks...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3699 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.