List of collision bones and their appearance slider linkages?

Chip Midnight

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3697 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm rigging a mesh avatar for fitted mesh and am having trouble figuring out which bones are linked to which appearance sliders. Belly size for example seems to effect quite a bit more than just the BELLY bone's area of influence, extending into the hips and crotch even though those vertices are not weighted to the BELLY bone. The HANDLE bones in the download files are not weighted at all so I can't see the normal range for them, but the love handles slider in appearance moves vertices far outside the range that I weighted for them. What other bones is that slider scaling? So is there a comprehensive list or discussion anywhere that describes the bones each appearance slider is scaling? As it is now I'm having a hard time getting my mesh to behave the same as the default mesh in some areas, particularly belly and love handles.

I'm rigging a mesh avatar for fitted mesh and am having trouble figuring out which bones are linked to which appearance sliders. Belly size for example seems to effect quite a bit more than just the BELLY bone's area of influence, extending into the hips and crotch even though those vertices are not weighted to the BELLY bone. The HANDLE bones in the download files are not weighted at all so I can't see the normal range for them, but the love handles slider in appearance moves vertices far outside the range that I weighted for them. What other bones is that slider scaling? So is there a comprehensive list or discussion anywhere that describes the bones each appearance slider is scaling? As it is now I'm having a hard time getting my mesh to behave the same as the default mesh in some areas, particularly belly and love handles.

Someone on SLU tipped me off about the show collision skeleton feature in the develop menu. That definitely helps a lot. The sliders are scaling multiple bones so getting the right rigging is proving to be quite a challenge. It would be great if there was a list that explained each appearance slider, which bones they're scaling, on what axes, and what percentage at max slider value.

There is a start on the wiki here, but how to present more details like how the bones move will take some thinking.

Unfortunately it's not as straightforward as "Torso Muscles moves these bones along this range", instead different bones are adjusted depending on how far you've moved the slider.

The ID numbers in the left column are at least enough to find the values in the right section of avatar_lad.xml. The entries in there that have a list of <driven> tags will in turn get you to the subranges.

• Like 1

@Chip - You may want to talk to Gaia Clary at Machinimatrix.org or catch Gaia or Darien in the Blender Avastar group in-world. Gaia is working with the new collision-bone avatar to sort out the problems most of us are working to figure out. Gaia is making a video showing how workflow will be in the Blender 2.7 and AvaStar 1.1.

I've been looking at the weightng and morph assignments in the base models made in AvaStar and the LL model in the Wiki under mesh. In AvaStar I can jump back and forth between the sliders in AvaStar panels and Blenders morph settings panels. I find it is still confusing but I think I've some sense out of it.

I may need to start doing rigging in Blender for fitted mesh, but for now I'm trying to get a workflow set up in 3ds Max since it's where I do everything else. I've got it working pretty well now after a lot of trial and error, though I'm not going to know how this avatar holds up to other creators' clothing until more of it comes out. Since I'm working at about three times the poly density of the default mesh I've had to do a lot more blending. The result is an av that animates much more gracefuly than the default, but the end goal is something that's compatible with a wide array of clothing items that don't need to be made just for it. Time will tell.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3697 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.