Sign in to follow this  
luna Datura

discoloration of mesh skin on shoes and nails?

OK a lot of us consumers who know nothing of how mesh is made can't get a good answer. Mesh so beautiful so detailed but the skin parts discolor with local lights. Turning white or brown, orange ect. i know how to match my skin rgb so its not that. I've turned off shaders and local lights but that doesn't help. We are wondering if its on our side or something mesh designers are still working on? I do see a lot of lighting issues in mesh posts. -sincerely woman with a wicked shoe fetish!:matte-motes-evil-invert:

OK a lot of us consumers who know nothing of how mesh is made can't get a good answer. Mesh so beautiful so detailed but the skin parts discolor with local lights. Turning white or brown, orange ect. i know how to match my skin rgb so its not that. I've turned off shaders and local lights but that doesn't help. We are wondering if its on our side or something mesh designers are still working on? I do see a lot of lighting issues in mesh posts. -sincerely woman with a wicked shoe fetish!:matte-motes-evil-invert:

it likely has to do with the "normals" of an object. a "normal" is how that material would normally reflect light.

its a bit complicated to explain, but bottom line is when you try to align one mesh with another, even though the color is exact, there will be a seam if the normals of each aren't exact because each mesh is reflecting light at a slightly different angle. and since light is being reflected at a slightly different angle the shade of the color will be effected.

• Like 1

Mesh (and prims) uses a different shading and material system than the default avatar does so depending on lighting conditions there will always be a bit of a mismatch even if they're both using the same texture map. In very flat even lighting it's not too noticeable, but becomes more noticeable the more directional the light is. There really is no fix for it other than using a mesh avatar.

• Like 1

Slink has a great explanation of why there are color matching problems. See: http://slinkstyle.com/2012/06/01/lighting-issues-in-sl-pertinent-to-matching-your-slink-feet/

If you are not using the Advanced Lighting Model preference, it can be really difficult to match skin colors. ALM seems to reduce some of the differences between prims and mesh items and sculpties.

Strawberry Singh has some Windlight presets that make skin matching much easier. See: http://strawberrysingh.com/tutorials/windlight-settings/

Color rendering and the color theories for virtual world lighting are complex. 

I've written some about the complexities in what I hope is an understandable explanation: http://blog.nalates.net/?s=color+matching&submit=Search

• Like 1