Sign in to follow this  
Rune Greenwood

Greyed out Region map due to sim surround, was this ever addressed/fixed?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2352 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

AFAIK, that is expected behavior.  A sim surround is a large hollowed or cut prim, and images on a sim map show the low LOD shapes of basic prims, disregarding any hollowing or cutting.

• Like 1

5 answers to this question

AFAIK, that is expected behavior.  A sim surround is a large hollowed or cut prim, and images on a sim map show the low LOD shapes of basic prims, disregarding any hollowing or cutting.

• Like 1

oh I know it's how SL works lol I was just hoping someone might have come out with some kind of work arround that would still allow a surround to be used and still be able to see the Map without it greying out, Thank you though :) gonna live it up for a bit longer but I was assuming this would be the answer anyway ((if anyone else has any further info please let me know))

I have a workaround for this that involves changing the colours on the mini-map - essentially it hides all grey prims and objects, not just the surround.

I'll post it here once I get to a machine that has Second Life installed.

Yes, there's a workaround of sorts.

Make your sim surround out of four individual rectangular megaprims along the sides, and don't roof the thing over.

Sorry for the delay.
To change mini-map colours you'll need the file ..\[second Life Installation]\skins\default\colors.xml (where .. is the logical path to your Second Life installation and with your viewer's name in place of [second Life Installation]). Open this file in notepad, gedit or other simple text editors.

Approx. 70% of the way down you'll see this:-

<color      name="NetMapYouOwnAboveWater"      value="0 1 1 1" />  <color      name="NetMapYouOwnBelowWater"      value="0 0.78 0.78 1" />

If your sim surrounds pivot point is above water, edit the value for NetMapYouOwnAboveWater, otherwise change the value in the BelowWater value.

NOTES:
- The value is in order RGBA (Red, Green, Blue, Alpha) - each of the four values has a range of 0.0 (0) to 1.0 (255). For example, you can make all objects transparent using 'value=1 1 1 0'
- To prevent this affecting more objects than you need, you might also consider setting the sim surround to Deeded Group ownership - this would allow you to use the attributes: NetMapGroupOwnAboveWater and NetMapGroupOwnBelowWater. These can be found just above the attributes given in my example, within the same file. There are ramifications of deeding objects to group, so consider these first.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2352 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.