Why can't "support" tell me what # my case is in the que or an anticipated TTR (Time To Resolution)?

Valiant Westland

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3702 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Why can't "support" tell me what # my case is in the que or an anticipated TTR (Time To Resolution)?

On Feb 16th I opened a "Support" Case, regarding my desire to purchase a parcel of abandoned mainland.   After 5 days or no updates to the case status, I contacted support to find out what that status was.

As with my first post case filing checkup chat, each subsequent 5 daily chats with support have gone the same.  The following is a sample transcript:

DeanT S: Hello! I may be working with multiple issues already, so please explain your issue (including any ticket numbers we will be discussing) and I will be with you shortly.

You: Hello Dean. Checking on the status of Case # 01863752
DeanT S: Valiant Westland, thank you for contacting us at Linden Lab Support. Give me a moment to pull the case up and check on it for you.
You: Sure...
DeanT S: Valliant, I'm sorry to hear of your land issues. Please be patient as the case will be reviewed in the order it was received by the land operations department.
You: When was it "received by the land operations department?"
DeanT S: The case presently is assigned to the land operations queue. It will be reviewed by them in the order it was sent to that queue.
You: This case was originally filed on the 16th. It should have taken less than one business day to be routed to the proper department.
You: I would like to know when it was actually received by them, how many cases they have in their cue and what my relative cue number is for my case.
DeanT S: It was sent to the land operations queue on 2/16/2014 after it was created =) Is there anything else I can assist you with today?
You: The level of ineptitude and poor customer service exhibited by the handling of this case would put SL at the BOTTOM of any JD Powers Customer Satisfaction Survey.
You: I would like to know when I can expect this issue to ACTUALLY be reviewed.
DeanT S: Rest assured it will be answered in the order it was received =) I cannot provide an exact timeframe, as I am not able to see the queues of other departments. But I will say you did the correct thing by creating the case, as only the land operations team may approve mainland sales of abandoned land that is not set up for sale.DeanT S: Is there anything else I can assist you with today Valiant?
You: You haven't "assisted" me at all... Just as my prior X # of contacts with support have been vain attempts by me to get a reasonable answer about support timing... Would you wait in ANY Customer Service que indefinitely, with no idea of where you were in the cure?
You: *cueDeanT S: As you don't seem to have any other unrelated questions and I have answered this as best as I can I thank you for contacting us at Linden Lab Support and wish you a good night! =)

What does everyone else think?  Do you think it's reasonable to want a support ticket system that provides REAL status information about open tickets?  Accountability has NEVER been a strong suit of LL and there doesn't seem to be any push by LL to develop it now...   If there was a comprable Virtual World platform that offered JD Powers-level support, I would jump ship in a heartbeat!

5 answers to this question

Hello Valiant,

write a mail or a ticket, to give them time to respond.

As the person who you were talking with already said, he can't look it up as it's not in his department.

I have very good experience with LL's support, of course there are always things that they could improve, but they have to handle a huge number of support-requests, and I learned that I have to be patient.

And btw. the guys from support are only humans like you and me, and probably hate the way the system works more than you do.

• Like 2

I think the Support person you spoke with displayed an admirable amount of tact in dealing with you, an upset and irascible customer.

They DON'T KNOW, Valiant.  I realize, in an ideal world, they WOULD know and would speedily pass that information on to you.  But we are dealing with Linden Lab here, a company widely known for its opacity and lack of communication with its customers.

If you want to use Second Life, LL is a fact of life...like migraine headaches and shingles.

For your specific case, a matter of Abandoned land, here's the procedure you should follow.

1. Submit the Support Case.  You did that, and I assume that you also included any details that would help LL decide in your favor, such as "my land adjoins the subject parcel on two sides." or "the land is not needed to allow free passage of the public in this area."
  2. After a few days with no response, check the land.  Note if there are any changes in its status.  If not, submit a second Support Case, referencing the first and politely asking for an update and a speedy resolution.
  3. After a few more days, repeat #2 above.
  4. Contnue in this fashion until either the case is resolved to your satisfaction, LL responds that they won't sell you the land under any circumstances, or the land itself changes status.

Clumsy and frustrating, I know.  But, that's the system we have.

• Like 2

Valiant Westland wrote:

What does everyone else think?  Do you think it's reasonable to want a support ticket system that provides REAL status information about open tickets?  Accountability has NEVER been a strong suit of LL and there doesn't seem to be any push by LL to develop it now...   If there was a comprable Virtual World platform that offered JD Powers-level support, I would jump ship in a heartbeat!

Possibly. However, your cartoonishly bad attitude basically guarantees that you won't get what you want, and any other virtual world you jump to will wish you jump to another. Have a nice day!

You asked for our opinions, there's mine.

• Like 2

Whenever I've requested abandoned mainland parcels, it has taken within 2 days and 2 weeks for my request to be answered, and I have always patiently waited for the answer. I do not understand why you would not be able to realise that there is probably a very long queue of enquiries awaiting attention.

In the big scheme of things, it is not in the interests of Linden Lab to have abandoned mainland parcels lying about all over the place when they can be getting tier fees in for them, so I do not believe they would drag their heels on purpose over this, but I do believe they have many enquiries each day, and have to prioritise at their end too.

By asking for more information you are in fact just slowing down the whole process :(

• Like 2

Being rude to a customer service person may be personally satisfying to you, but it rarely has the effect you intend.  Customer service personnel are trained to listen carefully, be tactful and polite, and not offer personal opinions or guesses when they don't have answers.  They are generally low-wage employees who do not have access to company policy and are doing their best to deal with people who can be confused, angry, misinformed, incoherent .....  It sounds like Dean TS was handling the call quite well under the circumstances.

Given the case load at Linden Lab, you should normally expect resolution of an average support issue in under a week.  I have submitted tickets at varying levels of difficulty over the years and have usually had resolution in a few days, often faster. Your request is in a queue, waiting until jobs ahead of it are finished.  If you log in to the support site and look at your Support History, you will be able to see the current status of any request you have ever made.  That's the same information that Dean TS had available when you contacted him.  It's as much as anyone can tell you.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3702 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.